Pics of my new budget setup.

JCole

Second, if the shelf was lower, the centre speaker would be farther below the screen, which is not the way you want to go.

My suggestion also involved lowering the TV to match. [H]

As for the cables, you can get "split wiring loom" at auto parts jobbers in many colours. White would be the obvious choice, so the cables will be less visible against the wall. They're a split plastic tube, so it's easy to cut them to the right length and slip them over the cables. They come in sizes from 1/4" or so right up to 1-1/2" or more.

[Y]

The black cover idea is also good.

Try to avoid running power cords beside interconnects or speaker cables, so you don't get 60Hz interference from the power cords.

Good precaution, but I have never had that problem.

And if you haven't been told yet, welcome to the forum!

[Y]

Absolutely!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be slightly. I focused on the closest speaker I believe.

As for hiding the cables in the walls, the cables that you see underneith are almost all power cords. After tieing everything up you almost cant see any speaker cable, it's just all the devices' power cords. 8 devices.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great speaker prices! With those prices there was no need to get the Reference unless you could've gotten them for the same price or maybe slightly more. You can't pass up deals like that when they smack you in the face. The Synergy speakers are no slouches either. The black riser idea seems like a idea and so does the wiring thing from the auto store. You can probably use them in tandem. Just to sorta keep your wires organized behind the riser. Organized and maybe labeled. I also like the floating shelf. How many holes did you have to make in the wall to mount it? And as someone else pointed out you can just make some risers for your speakers to raise them a little. [Y][Y] on your setup. I know it will bring you many years of enjoyment and will probably cause you to wear out your couch faster. LOL.

Can anyone offer suggestions on cleaning up the wiring more ?

Not from me, mine looks like yours or worse but it is behind the tv.

Great deal on everything, bet it sounds good, it's a good thing you have walls like that, it will help a little for the neighbors.

Great view Yes

Not from me either. I probably should try to do something about this "snake den" that is behind my component rack:

Posted Image

Anyway, nice rig you scored there, especially for the deal you got. Reference would be nicer, but for what you scored that for, you definitely did good.

I've decided that to hide the wiring I'm going to put a false front wall behind the sub but infront of the wires. I'll cut out a cardboard piece. Fit it then make a cheap plywood insert, paint it to match the wall and then tuck the wiring behind. I'll hold it in place with some Velcro tabs.

I've decided that to hide the wiring I'm going to put a false front wall behind the sub but infront of the wires. I'll cut out a cardboard piece. Fit it then make a cheap plywood insert, paint it to match the wall and then tuck the wiring behind. I'll hold it in place with some Velcro tabs.

Oh ok thats a good idea. Make sure you take some pics of the setup once you finish and get it setup.....and I know what you mean. Every hobby is expensive nowadays. I play a few console games and that gets expensive and now I'm getting into the hobby of R/C Helicopters and that can actually get expensive too. From buying repair parts to just upgrading your copter in general or buying a "better" copter or customizing it etc. Depending on the size one copter can easily reach the $1500 or higher mark.......so I guess a cheap hobby now is just sitting at home reading books on a kindle or doing crossword puzzles [:S] not that there's anything wrong with doing either (i'm getting a kindle bc the books are generally cheaper than print which they should be lol.....but the boss has one and I love hers) but nonetheless I think my next hobby is going to be construction. When we move I want to convert a room into a home theater (thats in addition to the setup up front) and after reading alot of tips and looking at the pics on this forum of other people building their own home theater I think I can do it. But back to the topic on hand are you going to make a little hole for the sub cable and power cable to feed through the fake wall or are you just gonna run the cable around the side? Or under the wall?

JCole: I like the nice, clean look of your system setup. That's quite a view from your window. You mention taming the wiring in the back; that has always been a hobbist's nightmare. Below is how the back of my systems rack looks. Wires are all bundled according to function to help keep the RF transfer and capacitance to a miniumum: power cables with power cables, video with video, audio with audio and speaker with speaker, etc. At least the rear of the rack is in a walk-in closet and al I have to do to hid it is close the rear steel door of the rack and close the closet door. It sure does simplify connecting and switching around components. The front of the rack faces into the theater room and has a smoked window door on the front. No wires are visible. -Glenn

post-10177-13819617467188_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381962130835_thumb.jpg

wow, thats impressive. i wish i had the space to get behind the jungle of cables on my setup. any time i have to plug in something new in i look at the manual of my receiver to find out the general location of the impute and feel my way there and hope i plugged it in right. some times i resort to using a small mirror to find them. not the most technical procedure, but it seams to work, and creates what i would guess is a mighty nice fire hazard...