Suggestions on New TV

Mallette

Okies, I've been given the go ahead by headquarters to acquire a new TV around Christmas.

Here's what I am thinking:

1. Plasma
2. 3D
3. 50" class
4. Around a k or less

Right now, that appears optimistic from what I've seen of the sets matching that description. Some with good reviews in the 1.5k or less. However, I am banking on the prices being right by the time I'm ready to pop for it.

Any suggestions?

Dave

You can already get various Pansonic and Samsung 50" plasmas (2D) for $1000 or less... some models even in the $800 range. Personally I don't really care for 3D even in the big movie theaters. But I'd still suggest holding off on the 3D purchase as well, unless you already have the other equipment with the appropriate HDMI version to support 3D playback.

And If you do decide to go ahead with the 3D purchase, make sure you try it out BEFORE YOU BUY IT... You might find that the 3D glasses you tried on in the store during a 5 or 10 minute demo, might not feel so great after a 90 minute movie.

Samsung brand. LCD. Don Not invest in 3D ! Can not go wrong !

I've seen some LCD's that come close to plasma's in PQ and black levels, but none as good. I agree in not investing in 3D.....yet.

3rd

This x-mas will be the time to score big deals on 2d screens now that 3d is out. I'm going for a sharp or samsung...HOPING to score a SHARP.

Had my Panny S-series for a year now, and still absolutely love it. Great picture and very affordable. If I had the room the 65-inch would be up on my wall.

I'm +1000 on the "no" 3d yet (or maybe ever). The glasses are killing it for people. Don't forget... Every pair extra pair of glasses is going to run you $100-200. Depending on how many people you have watching tv at the same time, that might blow that 1k budget.

Let's us know what you end up with.

Jrod

>Do you have a HDMI 1.4 receiver and player or are you trying to future proof your display purchase?

Audio guy. Not sure about the issues of various levels of HDMI. I do not own anything that requires it, and the only HDMI outputs I've used I employed HDMI to DVI adapters and run the audio separately. My current main LCD TV is 5 years old and I have it connected this way.

Dave

Samsung brand. LCD. Don Not invest in 3D ! Can not go wrong !

I've only experienced it at the movies, and found it completely enthralling as opposed to the pancake flat images offered by the current TV's that, no matter how good they are, won't fool my cat. However, I've not seen it on a TV. I am assuming you are saying it doesn't work as well as in the theater?

User reviews seem to be pretty enthusiastic.

Dave

Well, thanks so far...

Appears I should be able to do it nicely within my budget, especially if I forego the 3D. Surprised at the experiences here as the "general" world reviews out there seem to like it pretty well.

However, I KNOW you folks, so I'll give it serious consideration.

Samsung or Panasonic so far...

Dave

I think 3D is great. Your budget, however, ain't wide enough.

Look into the Panasonic TC-P50G20.

Hmm...Not so sure. Whilst I haven't found a 50" 3D at a kilobuck yet, there is at least one Samsung within a couple of hundred that may find it's way down to where I am looking by the time I pop on one. Good to know at least one person finds it attractive. I took my kids to "Polar Express" a few years ago in 3D. I HATE going to movies, and this one was expensive. However, my son loved the book Polar Express and I wanted to do it. I was blown away and the glasses didn't bother me a bit. Find it hard to believe those pricey home ones would be any worse than those made as "loners" for a movie house.

Stay tuned...

Dave

Plasma technology has matured greatly over the years such that image retention is not the problem it once was.

That's my take as well. But price/peformance and a dynamic range LCD's can't touch at anywhere near the price are the real impetus.

Dave