INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MEXICO?

Gilbert

This is definitely the best article I've found that trys to explain the reason for the insanity that has become the country of Mexico.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20101020_falcon_lake_murder_and_mexicos_drug_wars?utm_source=SWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=101021&utm_content=SECimage&elq=1d8a4fa651224f89991110b258807240

I agree with your assessment.

However, I'm always amazed by how this information like this hits intel magazines, but manages to stay out the reporting of the big news bureaus. Is the information accurate? Hard to tell, but the explanations are more plausible than what I've seen to date.

There are some more discussions about legalizing cannabis in the "land of fruits and nuts" - I wonder what effect that will have on the drug trade that seems to be the root cause of all of this - American illicit drug use fuels the whole thing.

By the way, there is pretty good feature on Netflix online on the history of apples, tulips, grass, and potatoes - The Botany of Desire. Pretty interesting stuff for sure.

I agree with your assessment.

However, I'm always amazed by how this information like this hits intel magazines, but manages to stay out the reporting of the big news bureaus. Is the information accurate? Hard to tell, but the explanations are more plausible than what I've seen to date.

There are some more discussions about legalizing cannabis in the "land of fruits and nuts" - I wonder what effect that will have on the drug trade that seems to be the root cause of all of this - American illicit drug use fuels the whole thing.

By the way, there is pretty good feature on Netflix online on the history of apples, tulips, grass, and potatoes - The Botany of Desire. Pretty interesting stuff for sure.

The article is very accurate, but as to why the Mexican drug violence storys don't get more or regular main-stream coverage, is purely a political reason.

As to what would occur if the land of fruits and nuts gets over the legalization fence.... well, the thought that quickly comes to my mind is what happen to the US Government and bootlegging thugs when prohibition was repealed. The US's tax revenue increased hugely (I'm guessing huge anyway, but don't really know), and the Fed's have been steadily increaseing, messaging and playing-with the alcohol (all sin taxes actually) tax ever since. As for the bootlegging thugs, they were put out of business the hard way, and eventually disolved into nothingness.

To say that America's illicit drug use is the root cause of all the killings is ignorant at best. Other country's, like Mexico, like Central and South America, like Canada, et. all our neighbors, are none for the better. The difference between these countrys is $imple, America is where the money is at; America is where they can sell for TOP DOLLAR. If that aspect of the equation were to be eliminated (through legalization), the Cartels will be forced to either look somewhere else to sell, or just go out of business. The later being least likely to occur;... or, alternatively, they can compete with legal American businesses selling legal drugs.

For me, the question isn't what will happen to the Cartels when drugs are legalized in this country, but rather, what will happen to America. Specifically, America's farmers and cattle growers. The drug users are here to stay, they've always been here, and over there too.

One thing I did not notice in the article which is also true is that
the head Mexican police officer that was in charge of the Falcon Lake David Hartley murder was found
beheaded and it is believed to have been done by the drug cartel
responsible for David Hartley's murder.

I am very undecided over legalization. On one hand, I can't see putting people in jail over cannabis, especially if they are doing it at home, out of sight of the kids, and are not driving or flying aircraft. On the other, I hear the argument that since nicotine and alcohol are "legal" drugs that cannabis should be legal too. Well, both of those drugs are pretty destructive. My mother has COPD from smoking for 50+ years (she quit long ago). A good friend of mine died from complications of alcoholism last year. The level of driving skill in this country is decreasing, and we have too many people tooling around in massive SUVs while talking & texting. Do we want to add the stoners to that?

One last thought: "you can make something illegal, but you can't make it unpopular"-Martin Berhman, longest serving mayor of New Orleans.

The level of driving skill in this country is decreasing, and we have too many people tooling around in massive SUVs while talking & texting. Do we want to add the stoners to that?

I just saw this recently. I wonder how the researchers conducted the clinical trials (without going to jail).

Maybe this is an interesting solution to the problem of people with little driving ability driving too fast?

[;)]

Chris

Just got back last weekend from a 1 week trip to the Riviera Maya. We stayed in an all inclusive and never left the resort. I did golf with a gentlemen that said that it was even getting bad in the good neighborhoods of Monterrey. We lucked out and had great weather between the two hurricanes there. Most of the locals said the huricaines were nothing much. Never had any problems with the drug lords though. I think they keep a pretty close watch on the resorts since they are such a big part of the economy.

The level of driving skill in this country is decreasing, and we have too many people tooling around in massive SUVs while talking & texting. Do we want to add the stoners to that?

I just saw this recently. I wonder how the researchers conducted the clinical trials (without going to jail).

Maybe this is an interesting solution to the problem of people with little driving ability driving too fast?

Wink

Chris

Yep, I could have come up with the same conclusion. Back in the day we called the right lane on the highway "THE STONER LANE". Get a few drinks of alchol in us and we think we are NASCAR drivers, take a toke or two and we relax and slow down.