Ouch

Deang

See the buckle now,Tom.Just wondering.I have one here somewhere.Probably with the DW 15-2VH.Another guy at another gunshop said years ago that the pistols weren't bringing much.Said to put it in the closet and forget about it.So I did.Haven't busted a cap in years.

So Dan Wesson Firearms is in bidness? What about parts availability for your 15-2? ?

SHORT STORY: Several years ago the County High Sheriff raised the cost that law-abiding citizens have to pay for a permit to carry a firearm to $20 yr.The money was used for a training facility for Barney the Deputy.Come last election Andy lost.The cost of a pistol permit dropped back to the previous cost of $7.50.Evidently someone later found a couple of hanging CHADS and the election was challenged in court and the battle lasted about a year or so.Andy got his badge back.He ran the CHAD-tised short-timer sheriff off to the next county. New election coming up soon.A third guy,the new man in town,is running saying the cost of a permit will be $0. I always said(pre-CHAD) that Andy lost by the cost of a pistol permit.I hope it happens again.Sometmes the good guys win!

Keith

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that most internal parts are still available. Things like protruding style bbl nuts, old style rear sight assemblies and fixed front sight blade bbl. shrouds are not around anymore. Of course this is all depending on how old yours is. I don't think an exact list of serial numbers coinsiding with production changes is still around anymore.

Nice to hear good stories about someone getting ousted after fleecing the people for their own gain. My girlfriend once went to an auto mechanic only to find on the bill an extra $20 charge to, as he said, "Pay for my tools.". I told her she should ask which ones he used so she can take $20 worth of "his" tools home to keep since she paid for them. Being "automotively mechanically adept" myself I know that the cost of his tools comes out of HIS pocket.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

lynnm: The bullet tax is REAL, qas in it could pass. The computer thing is a far fetched proposal by a East Coast senitor.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Kenratboy

Actually I never questioned the existence of the bullet tax.The computer legislation you mention is as you descibe it far-fetched.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

The bullet tax is a local issue, just as bad as ted (no capitol letter for his name) in the Bay Area.

I don't know ted well, but it could have been him with the computer laws. I KNOW it will never pass, I am not losing sleep.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

It looks like Tom has several nice money pits!

My favorite Colt is a Series 80 Satin Nickle Gov't, Model. I've only seen the one. Most people have never seen one. I also have a DW 41V with 4" and 8" bbls. Shoots great! I could never get a handload to work well in it, though. I always had unburned powder left and poor groups. When a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag. hurt my hand, I bought the .41. It turns out a .41 Mag. has more energy than some .44 loads.

cwm1.gif

John

John-

Yes, we had one or two of the Satin Nickel Colts, had kind of a yellowish tint to the finish to them. I almost bought one of the early Mustangs in .380 but our security chief snatched it up before I could get the cash. My favorite was one of those very limited editions called and Elite IX. It was almost along the lines of an Heirloom finish.

I remember when the first write-ups on the NEW Glock 17 and the Ruger P-85's were published. I couldn't take too much of these customers screaming "When you gettin' um'!!". Gun mags and manufacturers just love to create an insane amount of public want, especially when the product won't be avaliable for six months.

.357 Remington Maximum was as big as I would want to go, with the exception on 45ACP. It looks like you need a faster burning powder that won't exceed the CUP pressures to the point when the primers start backing out of the casings. Or even the hottest CCI primer out there. Time to break out the Hornady, Barnes or Speer loading manuals!

It was quite a learning experience running the Firearms Dept. for that store. I learned more about World History than any class I attended. For instance, the Browning P-35 Hi-Power was the only handgun that was regular issue to troops on both sides of the war known as WWII. This was from Belgium being taken over by either side what seemed like every other week! Also that the Kieser had a handgun specially designed to fit his hand. Unfortunatly it didn't fit too many others since he had Polio (look for the Broomhandle Mauser). The more and more you look, the more interesting it gets!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-09-2002 at 09:40 AM

Wow

This has become quite the firearms thread.

Let me share with you firearm I received from my father a few years back and the story that goes with it.

My Grandfather was in WW1. Grandpa was wounded and sent home. What we think happened was his friends packed his belongings from the front to ship back to the states, included was his M1918 he used in battle.

I know the M1981 is not the best shooting gun and is not worth much, but it is priceless to me since it was my Grandfathers best friend in the worst moments of his life and a piece of World history I plan to give to my son someday.

I plan to restore it someday to WW1 battle ready state with a bayonet and straps that have been lost over the years.

JM

Well, since I am a firearms enthusiast (or non-PC, a gun-nut), I'll throw a few thoughts in. Here is a link that discusses the nickle tax on all ammo in CA.

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/sh/news/california/stories/news-cali fornia-133884520020329-180357.html

One more way liberals want to disarm the populace and not rise up against them.

Ok, on to better things. I love Ruger for their revolvers and .22 semi-auto pistols/rifles. We have several of each in the family and they are great shooters. For larger centerfire calibers, I am preferential to Beretta, H&K, and ParaOrdinance, though I do own a "pre-agreement" Model 4006.

On the rifle side, not much can beat a Remington M700. I have two, .223 and .308, and they are both tack-drivers. Both are outfitted with a Burris 6x24 Signature Series scope. I have taken my one and only elk with my Winchester M70 in 30.06.

Yes, this hobby is my other money pit. Now, what I need to do is set up some Klipsch speakers in the basement reloading area!!

HA! And this is post 357, just like my Ruger!!! Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 04-08-2002 at 12:10 PM

JM-

Here's a link to your BAR Browning Automatic Rifle M1918 . It's a nice little project to get a weapon of that age to its original condition. Mind you that an overwhelming majority of guns like that had serial numbers on EVERY PART. IF no the whole number then just the last coule of characters. Once you do get it back together, PLEASE!! DON'T FIRE IT!! That's not from a value standpoint but a safety one. Ammunitions and metal quality back then isn't nearly what it is today. Ammo is loaded hotter and metal in now alot stronger. If you do want to fire it, take it to a well respected gunsmith of even send it to Browning for an inspection and tell them your intensions. Who knows, they may have a load combination that you can hand load yourself. But please be carefull.

Those guys in WWI must have had some serious arm muscles!! That thing weighs a ton!! Reminds me of the movie Kelly's Heroes (I know, different war) where Don Rickles has to carry the 30 cal. That was great!!

As for the bullet tax, how can the government assure us that the bullets used to shoot people are taxed? I would say that if a gun is stolen and used for such things then I would deduce that the ammo was stolen too. Yes, if the ammo is stolen from someone that bought ammo and paid the tax then it's not enforecable. But if the ammo was tolen for a store, does that mean the shooter will be charged with tax evasion?? Startin' to sound like Al Capone is back in town.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-08-2002 at 03:21 PM

Sad to hear the bad news,but now this section looks like the firearms covention.Damn you could create your own army,here in Canada all you can have is a water gun and a paintball gun.

cwm27.gif

Where are the Bazookas and GE Vulcan minigunns?I know some of you hide heavy duty gear.Any hand grenades?How about surplus from operation Desert Storm?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Where are the Bazookas and GE Vulcan minigunns?I know some of you hide heavy duty gear.Any hand grenades?How about surplus from operation Desert Storm?

Does an empty shell casing from a 105mm Howitzer count? Or a dummy 20mm?

cwm4.gif

Seriously, everything I have, either bought or self built, is totally legal and fits into the description of being Class 1 Firearms. I don't like the government walking into my house whenever they want to so they can inspect any Class 3 stuff (full auto). Not saying that the knowledge isn't there....

Now where did I put that foaminated mercury....

Of course those of you in England hear the Bobbys saying stuff like "Stop! Or I'll say "Stop" again!".

------------------

Tom's Money Pit cwm27.gif

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-09-2002 at 03:25 PM

I don't like the hi-end licences where inspections are required, just ain't right.

Yes, audio is a money pit, firearms are a money pit, cars, boats, planes, woodworking/metalworking, computers, etc. If its fun, its expensive, anyone who tells you to the contrary is wrong!

------------------

How things change over the course of a few days.

Thank God for friends with money!

I get to keep the AE-25.

I also managed to sell my Anthem CD-1 and will have a Sony c555es on the way in a few days.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 Super Amp

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony SCD-C555ES

Marantz DV-7010

Klipsch RF7's

Klipsch LF-10

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-10-2002 at 06:33 PM