Binoculars

Rivernuggets

A bit more than you wanted to spend, but these look like a good deal. Probably discounted so much since they are a "lady's" binocular. They should be reasonably bright and 8x is a good magnification for general bird watching. Got my wife a decent pair of binolulars two years ago and she uses them a lot.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-SHE-ATB-Binoculars/720995.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DNikon%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3DNikon%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=Nikon

I think I would bump my price point up to around 300-500 if you want something to last and retain value if you ever need to trade up. Good Binos are expensive and generally you get what you pay for. In any case- Here is where to buy

SWFA - SAMPLE LIST

Many trade ins- mark downs- discontinued - marked down items and salesmans samples- these are the deals

they have a brand search on the website- For entry level stuff I reccomend Burris or Nikon If you decide you need better go straight to Swarovski .I have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past years with these people- highly reccomended.

As the OP stated about his wife, I too am a casual birdwatcher, doing so mainly as a side interest out of my nature photography hobby. I bought these Nikons last year (or rather the minimally-different earlier model these replaced) and have been greatly impressed with them. I think they show great quality for their price ($237). They are way better than your run of the mill $40 Bushnells or other cheap models. If you can't go to that price level, just shop Amazon and read their user reviews for the best models in your price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7294-Monarch-8x42-Binocular/dp/B0033PRQB0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I agree that as with anything....you're going to pay for quality.

I've got a pair of these (Zeiss)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-Classic-10x40-T-P-/110619250094?pt=Binocular&hash=item19c16bcdae

one thing that I love about them is when it's approaching dark and you pull them out you can actually see better with them than without (things are a bit brigher)

excellent clarity and like other quality pieces, laser sharp.

Do not however, leave them on the roof of your car while on vacation..... [8o|]

Ziess rocks Leica rocks Kahlees rocks as well as the gold standard Swarovski- many great brands at the top- they are all great- the mid level bramds are very very good- Nikon is very acceptable and many deals out there. 8 power is the best compromise for sport optics and birding IMHO. The larger the objective- 42 mm - 50 mm- the better low light gathering during the "golden half hour" before dusk - when wildlife tends to move and present - watching-hunting- photo opportunities. In the middle of the day- large objectives are not necessary. I am an optics junkie and I buy the best stuff that I can find at a discount. In any case- you have a lot of good info to work with.

I'd agree on Swarovski being TOTL - I carry a pair in my truck. They're just insanely expensive. My wifes Nikon binos are just fine 'til you compare them directly with the Swarovskis. I lost a pair of Trinovids (Leitz) a long time ago so I also feel the pain dtel & Coytee - looks like somebody somewhere is scoring some nice binocular finds and I hope they appreciate them. I picked a nice pair of Bausch & Lomb binoculars this year at a garage sale for $5.00 that just needed a little fix-up.

For the OP though, I think you should look at the Cabelas link I posted, they look pretty nice for the $$. I'd stay away from any compact binoculars - they're just not as easy to look through. As Winchester21 said, the larger objectives are brighter but it's not really a big deal for casual use in daylight; also, they are bulkier and heavier.

Just don't do like I did last winter in the mountains, I had I forgot them in there case on the roof of the car while on vacation never to be found again

Do not however, leave them on the roof of your car while on vacation..... Super Angry

I also feel the pain dtel & Coytee - looks like somebody somewhere is scoring some nice binocular finds and I hope they appreciate them

Ohhhhhhhh, don't put me in the same boat as Dumbtell... ( [6] ), mine are accounted for. I was merely shining a light on his momentary and expensive lapse of memory.

(btw, no disrespect meant on the name alteration, I couldn't resist the temptation given the circumstances [A] )

True- Swarovskis are insanely expensive if bought at retail.I have 4 pairs of binos-6 riflescopes plus a laser range finder and i have not paid retail yet. The key is checking the internet and dealers for per owned examples and salesmans samples/display models. The top end stuff tends to take a 30% hit when the box is opened but pretty much stays at that price point.

I just recently bought a pair of SLC 8 x 30s for 600.00- used once by the owner of the store. They are light and absolutely flawless. They have become my go to bino over my EL 10 x 42s which are heavier. My budddy has a great pair of Leicas he picked up for 400.00- a few scratches on the outside but optics are perfect

I too lost a set of pocket Swarovski binos last year. I am still tearing the house up looking for them. Really sucks

Thank you all very much for your feedback and suggestions. Here's what I just ordered. This is definately more of a budget path than Swarovski.

'SWFA - SAMPLE LIST' was a great place to browse around. Thanks winchester. VERY good prices when compared to anywhere else. This is normally around $400. Sure this piece is B-stock, but I'm cool with that. My wife will never find out (from me) how much these are. She doesn't like to spend a lot on this kind of stuff. For me I do believe in getting what you pay for, and want these to last a while.

A couple weeks ago a coopers hawk landed on a power line in our back yard. Best I could do was zoom up with my point and shoot Canon. This is the stuff I want to see up close. Thanks again guys.

post-34666-13819619989394_thumb.jpg

post-34666-13819623258348_thumb.jpg

This Christmas I'd like to buy good binoculars for my wife, and know absolutely nothing about them. Will be used for viewing birds and small animals in our back yard and woods beyond. Hoping to spend $100-150. Any recommendations in this price range?

There's a boat load of choices for Bino's, none that are worth a crap at that price range though. Sorry, just MHO.

I own and still own several pairs of Binoc's, most hav been from the best manufactures. Leica, Zeiss, Leopolde, Swarovski. Leica is best, hands down, when it comes to Binoc's. Swarovski on the other hand, makes the best spotting scopes. I've been the outdoors type all my life and, nothing beats a good pair of Bino's, except for a top notch spotting scope.

But based on the price range, I would try to bump it up a little if possible, and buy a pair of Minox. Minox is the exact same thing as Leica, it is Leica. Minox is and has been for the past few years the top selling and fastest growing top-dog for optics. Remember the name, MINOX.

Here's just a few choices from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0&ci=10741&N=4291077412