klipsch vs the hi end

quadklipsh

I would take the Ferrari since the Corvette comes with a Bose sound system.

Sorry Willand someone had to point that out.

I can think of more reasons than that to drive the Ferrari over the Vette. That is just the best reason. The sound of that engine behind my head would sound better than any Bose system..

Bill

leave the sensitivity aside ,then which speaker brand sounds closest to klipsch

I have always been drawn to the sound of Tannoy speakers. I owned a pair of Tannoy System 12 studio monitors and to me they sounded like a nice pair of Forte size Klipsch speakers, just more restrained. BTW, I always thought Klipsch was "hi end." I guess that shows were my working musicians income bracket is. [:P]

dudes ,

is klipsch really hi end , or is it just in a different a league that specializes in high sensitivity speakers with acceptable sound quality

Dude, I don't know which Earth are you from! Klipsch is high end! You don't need the Palladium to get high fidelity sound. To me, for the money, nothing will ever beat the Legendary Klipsch Heritage Series!

Leave the sensitivity aside, then which speaker brand sounds closest to klipsch

Some of the older Altecs like the Model 17s and 19s (before Spark-o-matic in the 1980s), EV, or horn-loaded JBLs probably sound similar.

I would say that any speakers that are horn loaded and where there has been some engineering involved - not just "really good drivers thrown together with a high-Q bass reflex enclosure". I'm sure that the Danley Synergy series and selected movie theater loudspeaker manufacturers (like EAW and similar outfits) sound like Klipschorns, Belles, La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Jubilees.

Chris

I can think of more reasons than that to drive the Ferrari over the Vette. That is just the best reason. The sound of that engine behind my head would sound better than any Bose system..

Shouldnt compare it to the Z06. Let's compare it to the 110k ZR1 Corvette. The ZR1 is more than 100k cheaper than the Ferrari but it will walk off and leave it! As a matter of fact the ZR1 is one of the fastest cars on the planet and for 110k it's the deal of the century! So the Klipsch Jube is like the ZR1, the true giant killer. [;)]

Shouldnt compare it to the Z06. Let's compare it to the 110k ZR1 Corvette. The ZR1 is more than 100k cheaper than the Ferrari but it will walk off and leave it! As a matter of fact the ZR1 is one of the fastest cars on the planet and for 110k it's the deal of the century! So the Klipsch Jube is like the ZR1, the true giant killer...........

nicely compared , that one [H]...vital

ZR 1 rocks

...for 110k it's the deal of the century!

Hmm...110k for a Chevy. Perhaps that's whay so many of us love our K'horns. May not be that pretty, but does the job equal to any. If vehicle must be used to compare, more like a vintage F150.

Jeez, this is getting ridiculous...[:S]

Dave

Klipsch (particularly the Heritage) are absolutely a "window" to the high end. As previously discussed, they are built on sound scientific principles by a man who is a true pioneer in this business.....a GIANT, in fact - a "Mt Rushmore" of audio would have Paul's face chiseled on the rock.

The people of this forum are priviledged to be let in on a secret: Used Klipsch Heritage are THE BEST speaker deal ON THE PLANET. In an era when, as Howard Beale would say, "A dollar buys a nickel's worth", a nickel buys a dollar's worth when you spend those dollars on used Heritage. And on new Heritage, those dollars still buy more than a dollar's worth, and are a slice of what real craftsmanship is.

Most everything else I have seen in this business is a "workaround": make it smaller, make it look subjectively better, and throw truckloads of $$$ at it in an attempt to get back to many of the already achieved results of the PWK designs. Even Klipsch has gotten ahead of it's competition by making some of these "alternatives" - and mostly for modest cost too, so Klipsch even succeeds at beating other manufacturer's "workarounds".

The only "higher end" that really appeals to me in this business are the use of higher quality drivers in similar applications. If I were independently wealthy, I would be rounding up JBL Sovereign C60 with S8R package and or Paragon, as well as investigating the best of Klipsch horn loaded approaches, such as Jubilee and/or custom rebuilds of KHorn/Belle Klipsch. LOTS of AlNiCo[H]

So for your car analogy: With a Klipschorn, you have at least a Vette, and with a bit of alteration maybe even better, and that's value and justification that even Acura cannot match. And you'll have it FOR LIFE. And for a working class guy like me, it's hog heaven[8-|]

The people of this forum are priviledged to be let in on a secret: Used Klipsch Heritage are THE BEST speaker deal ON THE PLANET.

That's what I said...only nowhere near as well. Hear, hear!

All my old Heritage literature mentions how Klipsch holds value and are an investment. I cannot think of any other speaker ever making that claim...and certainly none who remain and are still being made.

Dave

All my old Heritage literature mentions how Klipsch holds value and are an investment. I cannot think of any other speaker ever making that claim...and certainly none who remain and are still being made.

The only speaker company that I could compare would be Magnepan. Price/performance ratio both new and used is very high. They have one of the highest resale of any speaker and sell very quickly... usually in a day or two. They are American made with almost 100% American sourced parts, have excellent customer service, a very loyal following and like Klipsch are the anti-establishment speaker. Many audiophiles will shun a planar speaker about as quickly as a horn. Both Klipsch and Magnepan are sound investments. [;)]

well i can avail an oppertunity for a maggies here , but i doubt think theyd beat RF3s in performance or compliance and the sales later on , if i wana rid of em .

plus i have little powered amps only

Magnepans would outperform the RF3 in some areas but would not be as efficient or dynamic. I've powered Maggies with as little as a vintage 20 watt Marantz receiver and the sound was excellent, although its dynamics and maximum output level were not what they were with a 500 watt amp. Magnepans and Klipsch both have presence at low and moderate volume, something that few speakers are able to do. Most dynamic speakers require either tubes, or massive amounts of power and volume in order to match the presence that these speakers provide with almost any amp. As far as resale, I purchased my 1.6qr's for $1,650 from my dealer, used them for several years and sold them for $1,250 (and that was after the replacement 1.7 had started production). Klipsch and Magnepan offer tremendous value, new or used.

• The other aspect of so called "High End" speakers is that they average about 90 dB @ 2.83V @ 1M --- or less. To get the SPL from most "high end" speakers I can get with my Klipschorns with my 120 RMS per channel amplifier, I would need to buy something like a McInotsh 2,000 wt per channel amplifier --- and some audiophiles don't consider McIntosh "high end."
  • Like the sound of tubes? Good luck finding a tube amp that would give you the above mentioned SPL with most "High End" speakers.
  • Then there is the already mentioned snob appeal. Way back, someone at Stereophile or The Absolute Sound interviewed a celebrity who had K-horns in his house, and the interviewer said something like "Why don't you have audiophile speakers?" Years later, in the 2,000s, when Stereophile gave the Klipsch LaScala IIs a near rave review it did my heart good..
  • Yes, it is one's subjective opinion of what a speaker sounds like that counts, but try to find a store that has any of the so-called "High End" speakers in the same showroon as Klipschorns, Jubs, or Palladium? Oh, ****, I forgot that some of the "High Enders" don't like speakers to be compared directly!
  • Then there is the rank order of wanted qualities. Dynamics are very important to me. Frequency response is much less important, IMO, providing the speaker goes down to about 40 Hz well (I can only stand subs when they come in at about 40 and below).

klipsch vs hi end ...........

so does that mean that klipsch is a brand that measures up against the best in the world ,somehow, like for instance ,would it be sane to say that the best of klipsch is right up there with the rest of the best of speakers in the world ?like speakers from wilson audio or a sonace faber .

do palladiums go better off compared to a alexandrias or utopia be , no matter the prices ?