How Far Away is the Moon? (The Scale of the Universe)

Jay481985

Many people have no accurate idea of the vast distances between objects in our universe; of the distance between the planets in our own solar system. If people think about how incredibly far away stars (and their planets if any) are, they would be less likely to believe we have been visited by extra-terrestrial beings.

Many people have no accurate idea of the vast distances between objects in our universe; of the distance between the planets in our own solar system. If people think about how incredibly far away stars (and their planets if any) are, they would be less likely to believe we have been visited by extra-terrestrial beings.

We are the aliens.

post-17394-13819637416478_thumb.jpg

If people think about how incredibly far away stars (and their planets if any) are, they would be less likely to believe we have been visited by extra-terrestrial beings.

Not sure why anyone thinks those with the capability to visit...and there must be untold millions of such civilizations...would have any interest in doing so, and if they did what makes anyone think we'd be aware of it?

Further, listening for radio telecommunications is silly. Given even a laymans ability with the math for the likely number of civilizations near enough to hear radio from, the odds that any are in that very brief period when a technology uses such crude means is very, very remote.

I won't even guess what advanced civilizations use, but I think it's like instant and using physics we've only begun to realize exist.

Dave

The odds of civilization in parallel to ours (considering the short period we have existed on this planet of billions of years of age) complicates the math formulas. It is more likely to mathematically expect that our solar system is actually a proton, circling an electron, of an atom, within the cell of an amoeba and ufo bright light sightings are reflections of the end of a giant telescope. How many amoeba's have you stopped to say hello to today?

My teacher did this when I was about 11 years old. We went out to the football field. I don't remember much of the lesson but you have to get in the car and drive a bit to get the last few planets in the proper place. IIRC. (Pluto was a planet then, not just a dog!)