My Panasonic SA XR70...Initial Thoughts...

SilverSport

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, for two channel you do have to make sure that the speaker settings are for LARGE and NO Woofer or bass will sound really lacking. When setup right it gives plenty of bass.

I have the Panasonic SA-XR70, tried this when all the craze hype and fuss was buzzing around the forums. They are great little amps and I still have mine but it quickly became apparent that it doesn't take the place of say.... Rotel RB-1080 or a Emotiva XPA-2. It has all the detail and resolution of better amps, it just doesn't have the full roundness airiness of a good Class A/B amp of the likes of Rotel, Emotiva, etc.

My other home, I used to have a very large room that my Klipshorn's were in, the Rotel RB-1080 had no problems getting the sound to the other side of the room but the Panasonic SA-XR70 couldn't get the sound to the other side of the room, and the volume won't go up too far, good enough for very efficient speakers but not for harder to drive speakers, on of it's drawbacks for some that was mentioned on the forums.

Still a great little wonder amp from Panasonic, shame they didn't keep improving it, they no longer make the amps at all. Still, it's not better than the amps mentioned above, or maybe to some ears with it's flatter and lighter sound. It reveals all the detail that a Rotel or Emotiva can, just not the smoother roundness that a Rotel or Emotiva can.

Shame you didn't get the remote with it, comes with a fairly nice remote that operates smoothly.

The other amp others were going crazy over, was the Onkyo A-9555, that integrated amp is still being made, it was said to have a smoother top than the Panasonic, and without volume limits.... had lots of volume and wattage compared to the Panasonic, and is only 2 channel but many raved about it's performance than the Panasonic that tried both. The Panasonic and Onkyo both fall in the Class D technology.

Still, it's not better than the amps mentioned above, or maybe to some ears with it's flatter and lighter sound.

Well, I left it be with your preferences above, but this line I have to address. To some of us, these amps are neither flatter nor lighter in sound. As to comparisons, my own ears have never heard an SS amp at any price that is as easy to listen to, nor an more (or less) accurate. I consider them to be SS with a kiss of tubes.

I HAVE heard tube amps I prefer, but not so much as to use my VT amp all the time. I only crank up the tubes when it's only me and all I am doing is listening. Otherwise, I am quite happy with the Pany as my amp of choice.

Note I did not dispute your values or ears, just your generalization.

Dave

Dave, thanks....appreciate your input. Just remember, I still have my Panasonic because I do like it. They are great little amps. What I mean by flatter is that when listening to the Panasonic, it's soundstage is flat across from left to right. With my other amps, it is thicker and more layered from front to back within that left to right. It's easy to hear with switching back and forth from each. It's been discussed many times before on the forums, not just my findings, just the nature more to do with Class D amps. To some, it may well be more likable to the ears. I know that on the forums things can get a bit sensitive with people when it comes to the Panasonic. I'm only mentioning my experience with my Panasonic with my setup. I do not want to try and change what you feel sounds best to your ears, it's still a very nice sounding amp or I wouldn't still have it. It has it's own unique characteristics and who am I to tell you what you like best. I'm just sharing my experience of the differences that I hear between my equipment that I own and use. Why? Because that is why I read the forums, to read others experiences so I can get an idea what others have tried and what the differences sound to them. It's very helpful to me and I can only hope that mine are just as helpful to others! I'm not putting down the Panasonic, just pointing out the differeces I hear between them. I think your Pany as your amp of choice is a good one! Enjoy!! [:)]

I know that on the forums things can get a bit sensitive with people when it comes to the Panasonic.

I am the same way about cables, tubes, speakers, source material, whatever. Not so much "sensitive" as I've learned over the years that most of "audiophilia" is metaphyscial and therefore only a few things can be generalized. "Accuracy" is one I believe that can be generalized. But "sounds better" or "more musical" or similar becomes problematic.

Cables are always a good one and many vicious battles have been fought here over the years. I don't get involved in that, as I hear nothing in that area. However, I believe some do. That's cool and I don't doubt them for a moment...though I am glad I don't hear the difference!

Dave

Understood!

What I mean about sensitive is, over the past few months I share my experiences with many things but every time I mention my experience with my Panasonic, I always upset quite a few people! I do understand that the forums get touchy and sensitive about any subject at times though!

My "secret recipe" for extracting every drop out of the XR has been to simply run it with a sub. Alleviating the XR amps of bottom bass duty. The money I had left over from the purchase of the Panasonic bought an linear-phase EQ and a nice subwoofer amp. I run that with a high-sensitivity horn loaded subwoofer. Those coupled with the La Scala's and my hearing runs out of gas well before this system even gets close to it's limits while maintaining impeccable composure. Not that any of that max effort stuff significantly matters though, as I listen to it at -75 on the dial the majority of the time, but it sure comes in handy for movie night. ;-)

The Panasonic XR70 is impressive how well it does do for movies. I run mine from time to time with my Klipsch KLF-20 and it has no problem giving great bass with slam effortlessly when setup right within Panasonic's setup. I think Panasonic did an excellent job on it's rich features it gives in the XR70, even manual setup is easy for me, but you can setup via the screen too if the manual way feels too loop through settings. As far as the Panasonic's performance, it works flawlessly and never gives a problem in my setup! I'm soon going to build some giant horn speakers for my HT room, larger than my Klipschorn's so I'll try the Panasonic on them after build is complete and see how well it can keep up with it, the drivers are going to be massive than anything I have right now.

Well, my co-worker who bought the XR70 also upgraded his JBL center speaker. He said I created a monster.

I'll see him on Tuesday and we'll set up a time to get his new receiver all set up. His front speakers are horn loaded JBLs! Should be interesting to hear what they sound like.

Thanks Dee...my remote and antennas arrived today...the remote sure IS dog chewed...but one thing I was able to access right from a button on the remote that I couldn't seem to get at by the front panel is a button marked HQ Sound Mode...this turns off the display and the video output section to provide a purer sound for listening...I don't know if it does but I do notice that there is a slight bump to the volume so...maybe there is something to it...I DO know that this sounds pretty nice for what it is going to be used for by me...2 channel in full digital with a CD player...nice!

Bill

Turning HQ Sound Mode ON or OFF doesn't make any difference on mine. I hear no difference, sounds the same. I remember when this was discussed a few years back and most all said they heard no difference, that feature was later removed. It's nice to have that feature for when you want the display not to be showing.