RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Is it just me or are the rf-7ii's kind of lacking in the very low end? I'm not one to listen to rap but I listened to this song recently and the bass was fairly weak. EQ'ing the bass only made the speakers distort like crazy.

It's probably your Onkyo! You need a real amp to make those things breathe!

Is it just me or are the rf-7ii's kind of lacking in the very low end? I'm not one to listen to rap but I listened to this song recently and the bass was fairly weak. EQ'ing the bass only made the speakers distort like crazy.

UMMM NO LOW END AND DISTORT,,,, RF7II

wow I can make the pics on my wall move. I dont even use a sub with music.

you need more power..

room treatment?

location in room?

Low end is crazy good with RF7II

The Onkyo is an excellent amp, but you're gonna want at least 200 wpc if you wana hear the woofers on the rf-7 ii's really sing. My yamaha puts out 125 wpc but after hooking up my Emotiva xpa-2 that puts out 300 wpc, it was a night and day difference. I don't use my sub for music anymore, and I'll leave it at that =)

Hey Blargman, saw your post about a XPA-2. I've got one I use to power my RF-7II's. It certainly brings out the bass. I'm getting ready to put it for sale. I'd always prefer to pass things on to a fellow Klipsch man. PM me for details if interested.

Ok... 1. 99% chance the distortion is coming from your material or amp. 2. The rf7ii absolutely does not need 200 watts to "sing". They are extremely efficient 101db. 3. I would check my crossover point on the avr. If your settings are right and your sure your material is quality then I would suspect you have something wrong with your 7ii's.

The Onkyo is an excellent amp, but you're gonna want at least 200 wpc if you wana hear the woofers on the rf-7 ii's really sing. My yamaha puts out 125 wpc but after hooking up my Emotiva xpa-2 that puts out 300 wpc, it was a night and day difference. I don't use my sub for music anymore, and I'll leave it at that =)

I agree...

When Im really jamming I push my XPA2 "purdy" hard. The 7II have a very low impedance dip.

Still don't know why you would be distorting.. thats prob. your source.

The source sounds find through headphones. No real crossover configuration on this 809 that I can see. It's only a 2 channel setup. nothing else. I agree it doesn't seem like I should need an amp given it's only 2 channel and they are very sensitive. yet everyone seems to say they do better with one. The distortion is only there wh en i mess with the EQ. So it's prob just me causing the distortion. Ugh, if i turn it up it sounds horrible.

Have you used the Onkyo with other speakers? Do you have a way to test it to make sure it's the speakers and not the avr? I had this problem and it turned out to be the left channel in my CD player. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out the problem.

I have used 3 different onkyo's and an XPA-5 to listen to my 7ii's. They produce plenty of bass on all 4 amps with no distortion from iTunes music off an iPhone. I don't use my sub's for music at all just the 7ii's on pure audio mode. If your getting distortion with good material then I would be very upset if I were you.

I don't think airplay is the best way to determine the "Base / Bass"!

Not to mention that "mp3" is a lossy format and then on top of it you are introducing another variable namely "airplay". Would be nice if you could check the "Known, Good" material directly from CD (not mp3!!!) or other known good source to rule out the issue before looking in to the receiver or RF-7 IIs...

Hm, connected my iphone directly. Looks like the distortion was coming from airplay. That's good to know. I guess it was the source. I do need to push the volume pretty high on this receiver to get it loud. I'm at about -22dB atm. Is that high?

Ha! I knew it. Source material was the problem. These speakers are so sensitive they pick up every little bit of distortion and amplify it. The "level" on your onkyo means nothing to us. Unless we had the same exact receiver in a similar room. I have owned the 3007, 608, 709, HT-rc180, and now the 3008. All seemed to have vastly different "db level numbers" for whatever reason. I can tell you my 3008 on stereo mode with no other amp plays too loud for my room at -13.... But what db level that is actually putting out if I were to measure with a meter is anyone's guess. As long as you can turn it up loud enough for your listening pleasure without distortion thats all you should need or want. IMO if you want a cleaner sound then the iTunes can provide then you should go to SACD's. Although I'm not of the opinion that the difference is cost is worth it. But that's a personal preference

I don't think airplay is the best way to determine the "Base / Bass"!

Not to mention that "mp3" is a lossy format and then on top of it you are introducing another variable namely "airplay". Would be nice if you could check the "Known, Good" material directly from CD (not mp3!!!) or other known good source to rule out the issue before looking in to the receiver or RF-7 IIs...

Yeah +1..... I use air play in the bedroom with apple tv off my onkyo 509 with wf-14 speakers and a paradigm dsp-3400. It sounds very nice. But can't compete at higher levels when I use the 3008 connected directly to my iPhone off the rf7's. Point is I use AirPlay when I'm not as concerned with quality. It's a cool feature but wireless technology can't compete with wired yet.

I'm a happy camper with the XPA-2, and many who have the XPA-5 will tell you the same. If you are going to do a 5 channel setup the, XPA-5 would be the cheapest way to go about it. You could the XPA-2 for your mains, and an XPA-3 for the center and surrounds, but that's more money. Either way you'll be satisfied.