(RADIATION) Should I be worried about buying a Amp that has to be shipped from Japan since Sunami

jeffdbodean

I have a oppurtunity to buy a great amp. Bryston 9B ST THX. This amp is in Japan. The seller is a regular forum member on another forum I frequent and am also a member. I am not worried about product being as descibed or any other issues other that the Radiation that may or may not be present. My concern also is if detected entering Custom's what will happen to it. Any ideas? What you all do? Anyone here have any real knowledge of this Raditation bit and can give real concrete advise? I can get this a t areal bargain just because this fellow has no need anymore (his words) so is letting it go. Had a higher price than I wanted to spend so made an offer before I thought about the radiation stuff and now have a delema. I am not one to make an offer and not go through with it but a little worrried here.

Jeff

radiation treated electronics will probably be a new fad...just like the cryo stuff....you would be on the cutting front of a new boutique upgrade solution...there will soon be a waiting list of folks wanting their stuff to be sent to Japan for Rayo treating. Rayo tubes, capacitors, speaker wires, has to sound better than non-Rayo stuff.

My concern also is if detected entering Custom's what will happen to it. Any ideas? What you all do? Anyone here have any real knowledge of this Radiation bit and can give real concrete advice?

If you have an issue with any equipment going through customs, get them to blow the equipment off with an air hose then try the baggage sensors again... it would pass inspection then.

The stuff that you should be worried about is yesterday's wine in leaded glass (goblet or decanter), leaded joints in your water supply, old '70s-vintage orange plates colored with Uranium salts, leaded gasoline (if there still is any of that), asbestos insulation, eating too much tuna or wild salmon (mercury), and Radon gas in your basement. Unfortunately, those things don't have anyone telling you that you've got a problem...[;)]

Chris

Salt water fish are high in selenium, which has a high binding affinity for mercury. Once the mercury is bound into a molecule with selenium, it's not free to bind with other molecules and the mercury is rendered harmless.

This means that as long as the fish you're eating is richer in selenium than it is in mercury, you can't get mercury poisoning from it. That covers basically every salt water fish except tarpon, marlin, and some sharks.

Now if you really want to get mercury poisoning from seafood, eat whale. Whales don't have a lot of selenium in their systems, but they do accumulate a lot of mercury.

If you have an issue with any equipment going through customs, get them to blow the equipment off with an air hose then try the baggage sensors again... it would pass inspection then.

bring plenty of quarters though, those TSA dudes are just like the guys at the gas station--no such thing as free air. I always try to find the positive in a situation, when you crank up the amp, and turn out the lights, you will have a cool glow to go with the other lights on your equipment.