Cornwall III grill-off photo

djk

If it helps, here is a naturally lit image of a H III showing the beautiful grain in the cherry finish. The walnut is a dark American Black Walnut type that is pretty dark. I think the cherry that Klipsch uses looks much warmer and 'glowy'. I saw Budman's 4x CWIII last week and they are beauties too- also Cherry.

post-10755-13819638866588_thumb.jpg

Is it just me or does the mid horn cut out look severely out of place. I'd like to see a horn with the bottom intact for the price you pay for a new CIII, as opposed to grabbing one out of the parts bin that was located close to a woofer in another application. I know it would sound the same, but I'd have to leave my grills on with those speakers, which is a shame.

Is it just me or does the mid horn cut out look severely out of place.

I agree, because it's a reminder that they're using the Heresy K-700 horn with a regrettable (IMHO) 800 Hz xover point! It was a mistake IMO not to figure out how to put a K-600 horn in there, to recapture the larger, fuller, midrange sound of the original.

To me, the C/W III has the Heresy's smaller, brighter, treble sound. The C/W I and II were especially suitable for pop, jazz, and movies, because of that nice, larger, more detailed middle range. The lower-frequency part of that was lost IMHO with the smaller horn and higher xover point. That can't have helped fan impressions or sales, IMO.

Naturally, I think they should start making C/W III's with K-600 horns, and maybe offer a K-600 horn/xover upgrade kit.

My $0.02.

I"ve got a bunch of the K601 horns here if anyone wants to try a stab at making one.

I always thought they should have at least used the K604 (forte II, Chorus II, many pro cabinets) horn for the CWIII, but there were other considerations to keeping it exponential so the 'Heritage' sound would be preserved I suppose (imho).

M

• 11 months later...

HELLO everyone!

I´m new to this forum

I plan on buying a pair of brand new CW III

DJK:

Those cornwalls look very beautiful, is that the walnut finish on the CW III?

LARRY C:

Your thoughts on the CW III are very discouraging…. I m thinking about getting the CW for their great LF but wouldn´t want to end up with something that lacks in the mid frequencie department.

Perhaps there is someone who has or has heard both CW I or II and CW III that can give me his or her opinion regarding differences on the mid frequencies?

Thank you

First of all jamset welcome to the forums. Lots and lots of just GREAT folks here (me excluded) and TONS of information so don't be afraid, or shy, or embarassed to ask anything.

I've not owned CW IIIs but I have owned Is and IIs. Both were wonderful and worth WAY more to me than what I paid for them.

I sent you a PM on the subject of Cornwall IIIs.

Again... Welcome. We're all glad you're here and a part of the general insanity... Err... I mean the Klipsch family... [:D]

hello

I have come to the conclusion that with cornwalls you must choose between:

CW I or II: better MF and HF, dip at 400-600 HZ
CW III: no dip, smaller MD and HF

Is there really a big difference regarding MF between the iii and the others?

Hopefully people who have listened to both will share opinions.

As always in life there are pros and cons. I’m just trying to evaluate them right.
progress.gif