What is this ?

dtel

• Moderators

I think I know what this is but I am not sure. Had it for years it just sits on top of a china cabinet, I don't even remember where we got it.

It's about 22" tall and the glass is etched with grapes and grape vines. The metal part at the bottom of the glass has a metal piece sticking out that when pressed in like from the bottom or side of a glass dispenses whatever, I would guess wine.

Seems like a lot of trouble to dispense wine ?

post-11804-13819639160298_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It's a device for injecting wine directly into ones veins. For folks who don't have time to drink, but still want to be drunk.

At all those fancy vineyards in your area I don't think that's where the drunks hang out, OK the drunks with plenty of money maby.

It's a device for injecting wine directly into ones veins. For folks who don't have time to drink, but still want to be drunk.

At all those fancy vineyards in your area I don't think that's where the drunks hang out, OK the drunks with plenty of money maby.

Most of the locals that taste at wineries aren't wealthy. They just know where the good stuff is! BTW, there are wineries that charge insane prices to taste wines. Where as some wine tastes are worth serious money*, I'm happy with the free (or cheap) ones!

* Last month I got to taste zin and cab (current release and barrel samples) at A. Raffanelli winery in Healdsburg. Now that I'd pay for. Favorite wines ever. [:P]

• Moderators

I know nothing about wine, I would guess I like the cheap wine because I don't like dry I like sweet. That is about all I know about wine, although some of those vineyards look great and would be fun to visit.

I know nothing about wine, I would guess I like the cheap wine because I don't like dry I like sweet. That is about all I know about wine, although some of those vineyards look great and would be fun to visit.

Come on!!

• Moderators

It's an "audiovox" sound adjustment, measurer, voltage meter, thing-of-a-ma-jig.... (of course, from the 80's) vintage equipment...

I laugh every time I see your avatar because of the commercials, like the last one " He bowls overhand ". [:D]

It's an "audiovox" sound adjustment, measurer, voltage meter, thing-of-a-ma-jig.... (of course, from the 80's) vintage equipment...

I laugh every time I see your avatar because of the commercials, like the last one " He bowls overhand ". Big Smile

saw one last night that said something like, "his words would cause an ordinary man's jaw to break."

I believe it either for decanting the wine or for finding the percentage alcohol. I think the latter you stick that straight into the aging barrel and you can test the wine.

Jay, I think you're thinking of a hydrometer (commonly used for checking the sugar content in a liquid...like grape juice), and a wine thief (used to get samples from the barrel either to test or taste). Definitely a decanter, of sorts.

hydrometer.gifthief.jpg

I think I know what this is but I am not sure. Had it for years it just sits on top of a china cabinet, I don't even remember where we got it.

It's about 22" tall and the glass is etched with grapes and grape vines. The metal part at the bottom of the glass has a metal piece sticking out that when pressed in like from the bottom or side of a glass dispenses whatever, I would guess wine.

Seems like a lot of trouble to dispense wine ?

Looks very similar, in fact, strikingly similar... to some wine decanters I've seen. You need to place some high quality Cajun Wine in there, something like BoonsFarm or Ripple.