I hate

fini

As it turns out, I'm ticked off by quite a few things! I emailed an ebay seller who specializes in Bolex cameras, lenses and parts. I asked if he carried a particular hand crank (used for rewinding the film to do in-camera fades, etc.). He said he probably had it in his inventory, but could I please send a photo of the rewind socket. So I got my camera, took a close-up picture (which included a ruler for scale), and sent that along with a link to an online photo of the crank I need. He shoots back a price, which I feel is beyond my budget, and I thank him but decline to purchase it. I get an emailsaying I'll never find a bargain on such a rare piece. Then, probably 1/2 hour later, I see an auction listing, from him, for this same crank, and the guy has used my picture, and the one I linked! I complained to him, and the guy removed it, but not before he replied, "My
goodness, first you are unhappy with a mere $29, and now you are making
a war over a picture of a hole in a camera? Life is too short friend. I
removed your picture. Now you can get some rest. Good day. Please leave
me alone." ARGGHH! He continues to use a photo from a different seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270731483142

...when artists come out with "exclusive" content for those that pay a stiff premium (TMBG is starting a fan club...$80-100 to join), then has THE BALLS to say you can't sell the stuff (THAT YOU BOUGHT!). I'd be totally cool with the do-not-sell-for-profit thing if what you got didn't cost you serious dough, ou know, a "gift" to their die-hard fans. And get this, it's a one-year membership fee! They expect people to pony up again in a year! PLUS, the exclusive content may or may not be exclusive (or "limited" ) in the future. What a crock! Is this the result of piracy cutting into bands' profits? Man, I say screw that!

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=10150096867892395&set=a.10150096866612395.240447.10655752394&theater

There's a reason for this.

Yes, piracy is cutting into musical band's profits. In the current paradigm, this usually means that bands count on touring to make money.....so if you wonder why every recognizable band that comes along charges $100+ per ticket, that's one reason.

To counter this, some musicians are going DIRECT to the fans and offering product - exclusive product - which might be tickets, special edition merchandise, etc....which will be worth MUCH more than the bands charge - especially if they are really popular. THIS IS A GREAT THING!!!!!! For YEARS, we have asked the record companies to get out of the way and let the bands offer us what THE BAND wants, and not what the executive from BigMusicCorp or LiveNation wants. So many acts are doing this.

The worry from the band's perspective is that "profiteers" will sign up just to get the goodies and sell those rare items for profit. Asset flippers, like ticket scalpers, just "buying in" to make money off of this stuff. The band wants these items to be for people who genuinely want the items - who are fans of the band - and aren't just out to make a buck.

The rock band Phish is a good study on what happens when a band sells tickets through it's own agency, then ignores what happens after that. Frequently, "Phans" will have every friend they know order "Phish Tickets By Email" (NO club membership required), then turn around and sell quality $60 face value tix for $200-$500 each. This system doesn't serve the average Phish fan - it serves the "asset flippers" in the crowd who do these special "band fan offerings" strictly for profit.

THIS is what TMBG is trying to fight.

People that do not know how to pay attention when they are driving and talking or texting on their cell phones. I wish I had a train horn in my car to wake up their a$$e$!!!!!! Super Angry

http://trainweb.org/mdamtrak199/horns.html

Scroll down about half way down the page, to the photo of pick-up with Amtrak air chimes.

Enough SPL to put the cell phone twit in the ditch...