klipsch cabinetry........duhhh

quadklipsh

compared to some other brands like the paradigms and b&ws , the klipsch cabinets have been a lot less impressive !!!!

the others being heavier and better toned ,they definitely look and feel better .

perhaps if we swap the drivers from klipsch to a paradigm studio 100s and vice versa ,and play them (provided the crossover settings are optimized out first) , it would be fun to note the difference ...

the liveliness of klipsch may also have something to do with the shallow thudd of its cabinets . it may sound lifeless in those other cabinets that are better damped or neutral sounding .

anyways klipsch rocks in its cabinets ,nonetheless.

I think I did an analysis of the cabinet designs of the Heritage models. The results showed that the size of the cabs had little to do with optimizing the drivers. You could make a pair Heresys out of 1 sheet of plywood, a pair of cornwalls out of 2, a a pair of LaScala's out of 2, etc. It seems that the cabinet sizes were more about the largest size that would result in less scrap wood. If we were going for acoustics', the internal chamber volume of the Belle, Khorn, and Lascala benifet by more volume. The max volume change I have experience with is 15% increase in the khorn. There are w-bins out there that are basically LaScala's 10% more in size.

The K-horn I don't wonder but the Cornwall could use a stiffer backboard.

JJK

Could you expand upon that further JJ. I own a pair and wouldn't be adverse to repalcing the back if it would make a credible improvement, not just change the sound.

Oh, and wouldn't those 2 by 4's change the sound.

• Moderators

The K-horn I don't wonder but the Cornwall could use a stiffer backboard.

JJK

Could you expand upon that further JJ. I own a pair and wouldn't be adverse to replacing the back if it would make a credible improvement, not just change the sound.

Oh, and wouldn't those 2 by 4's change the sound.

I don't think a different back or the 2x4's would make a difference. I say/guess that because it's a very small size in internal volume change and with ports the size of those on Cornwalls there is really no pressurizing of the cabinet with as little as the driver moves.

I could be totaly wrong ?

The backboard is 3/4" and will vibrate when you get up around 98 db spl. I haven't changed mine because if you went to 1" it would not be flush with the cabinet. because the board sits and screws on glued runners on the sides and the top and bottom the edges of those boards. As far as the vibration affecting the sound? I don't know. I would not use anything that would change the volume of the cabinet.

JJK

That makes sense Dtel, given the rather large porting, any effects would have to be minor indeed.

JJ, did not know that. Given the small size of my room 98spl is not something I'd get up to very often, so in my case, it doesn't seem to be a factor.

The backboard is 3/4" and will vibrate when you get up around 98 db spl. I haven't changed mine because if you went to 1" it would not be flush with the cabinet. because the board sits and screws on glued runners on the sides and the top and bottom the edges of those boards.

You could glue and screw a 1/4" or 1/2" panel to the inside of the back panel, leaving it just short of the glue blocks. I'm not sure of the clearance (i.e. the mid driver as Dennis mentioned), but that could easily be accommodated with a hole saw. Only downside is a resulting reduction in cabinet volume. Someone smarter than I could calculate how to compensate for that, though.

I still like the vertical brace or braces glued edge wise on the back and screwed if you remove the back. Maybe 2" x 3/4" x ( long?) with fancy curves cut into them to make them look pretty. Then no worrys about the inside volume.

JJK

I still like the vertical brace or braces glued edge wise on the back and screwed if you remove the back. Maybe 2" x 3/4" x ( long?) with fancy curves cut into them to make them look pretty. Then no worrys about the inside volume.

JJK

I believe Dennis meant to put a diagonal brace on the inside, but piece like that is not going to change the volume enough to hurt anything.

Bruce

I added internal bracing on my KLF-30's cabinets yesteraday and noticed a nice improvement.

photo1.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Motorcity, that looks like a great idea, but if you used silicone caulk you may want to let it dry a few days. When silicone gasses it can break down adhesives. Good luck!

To me the bass seemed a bit loose, somewhat boomy before the bracing. Now it is tighter/punchier but that could be the polyfill.

The original cabinets did NOT have any internal bracing. I used 1/2" quarter round for all 12 inside corners and 2.5" x 3/4" braces in the 3 areas shown.

It is fun project nontheless.

I also had DeanG redo the cross overs and added dynamat to the horns that seemed to tame the highs and open up the sound stage.