Belles sound ok?????

rennoc442

• Moderators

So, in my book, the Spud, when used as the riser thing, didn't do much for me at all. Zero, zippo, nada.

Not trying to be negative. Just trying to accurately & honestly describe my thoughts of the day. I was bummed that the 10's were out of business since that was the whole purpose of going there.

No way your just negative. [:o]

But really I can understand exactly what your saying, I know it was designed to go under a couch/chairs as a riser. But I would bet that's the worst place for it. For one thing the vibrations would sometimes be out of time with what you are hearing and a sub would sound out of place to me in that position.

I know they say you should not be able to hear where it's at and sitting on it just don't seem right, I am use to having a sub somewhere on the front or even side front wall.

I have the spud on the front right corner with the port facing up, right in the corner. To me it sounds good, one day I may even be able to take some measurements but I have a LOT to learn first and a few things to get.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, For less than $300, you can build this sub........11 pieces of wood, no angle cuts, and no clamping.

Well, that has to get my attention. I'd want to see how detailed a plan one can get, as well as wait until you can report on the performance.

Dave

Dave, For less than $300, you can build this sub........11 pieces of wood, no angle cuts, and no clamping.

Well, that has to get my attention. I'd want to see how detailed a plan one can get, as well as wait until you can report on the performance.

Dave

No details required. You can build it right from my posted image. Assuming you will lay it down like a coffee table (side view in drawing), the large pieces you can call Top and Bottom. All the pieces fit inside the top and bottom (all the same width), so you just cut them to exact dimensions, lay them out on the bottom piece, trace with pencil to create a template. The drill pilot holes every 6 inches or so. Flip over and drill countersinks for your screws. Use 4 saw horses for support and access and flip back over. Put a generous bead of glue inside your original pencil tracings of the inside bottom piece, one inside piece at a time, starting with the perpendicular one, right after you do the bottom edge piece that the other inside pieces attach from. Use drywall screws (fast and slender) to screw down the plywood, glue and screw inside and under one piece at a time (one piece holds the next one, and so on), until you are done. How much easier do you want. This is child's play for any mediocre carpenter like me.

Looks simple enough but there are some more measurement needed to able to build it. We know the angle of J, but we don't know the angle of H, or I. It looks like they may be perpendicular to each other which would solve the problem, but I hate to assume.

Looks simple enough but there are some more measurement needed to able to build it. We know the angle of J, but we don't know the angle of H, or I. It looks like they may be perpendicular to each other which would solve the problem, but I hate to assume.

It's perpendicular, a squared "U" once you have the distance for the base, you angle the whold "U" The angle as defined by the upper dimension of 10.25 is all you need.........can't get much simpler.

I'd like to build one or two of these! Looks easy!

after seeing your build images for the Tuba, this will be like a walk in the park for you. Plus, since most lumber I get in Mich. is all made in Canada, I'd like to think it's a few dollars cheaper for you since the truck ride is shorter. Je pense que c"est des bonnes nouvelles pour toi.

I haven't been to his house yet, but Dr. Earl Geddes lives about 15 minutes from me. He is a speaker home theater guru and is all about oblate spheroid waveguides and compression drivers on the top, and MULTIPLE subwoofers (at least 3) for the bottom. From the reports from people who have been there and amazed, he has 3 subs tuned to different bands in different locations in the room to smooth out peaks and valleys in different listener positions.

You may well end up doing the same, eh?

Well, whilst the lab 12 build LOOKS easy, I've no confidence in building it without more detailed instructions. Even thought the Table Tuba may be a little more involved, the plans and steps are highly detailed and there is support available.

I am not dumb, just ignorant. If a person is smart enough to recognize their ignorance of new terrain they are smart enough to cover the bases before plunging in.

I suspect that if I succeed, I'll be an "instant expert" and be ready to do it again on another type...but my motto has always been "It works when I've seen (in this case, heard) it work."

I suppose I can always repurpose it as a rat maze if it sux...

Dave

I'd like to build one or two of these! Looks easy!

after seeing your build images for the Tuba, this will be like a walk in the park for you. Plus, since most lumber I get in Mich. is all made in Canada, I'd like to think it's a few dollars cheaper for you since the truck ride is shorter. Je pense que c"est des bonnes nouvelles pour toi.

I haven't been to his house yet, but Dr. Earl Geddes lives about 15 minutes from me. He is a speaker home theater guru and is all about oblate spheroid waveguides and compression drivers on the top, and MULTIPLE subwoofers (at least 3) for the bottom. From the reports from people who have been there and amazed, he has 3 subs tuned to different bands in different locations in the room to smooth out peaks and valleys in different listener positions.

You may well end up doing the same, eh?

The Gedlee site of Earl Geddes. No stranger to superlatives.

http://www.gedlee.com/

The Gedlee site of Earl Geddes. No stranger to superlatives.

His sub is pretty cheap, and he offers room customization. I didn't see any specs on the site and find it hard to believe that a smallish, passive 700.00 sub would do much for Klipschorns. I queried them them on that point and look forward to the response.

Dave

Well, whilst the lab 12 build LOOKS easy, I've no confidence in building it without more detailed instructions. Even thought the Table Tuba may be a little more involved, the plans and steps are highly detailed and there is support available.

I am not dumb, just ignorant. If a person is smart enough to recognize their ignorance of new terrain they are smart enough to cover the bases before plunging in.

I suspect that if I succeed, I'll be an "instant expert" and be ready to do it again on another type...but my motto has always been "It works when I've seen (in this case, heard) it work."

I suppose I can always repurpose it as a rat maze if it sux...

Dave

I give up..................you win.