New (to me) Khorns!

I have seen a lot of similar post, but since I just accomplished a long-time goal, I wanted to post it. I got my first Khorns late last night. I think they are '91's but I haven't had time to check the serial number against the dating methods yet. They are oiled Oak, and didn't have any veneer chips when I picked them up (although did get a small one on the ride home [:'(] ). They still aren't put together yet, since I had to go to bed and get up and go to work, so no pics.

But needless to say, I can't wait to get them hooked up. I have tomorrow (Friday) off, so I know what I will be doing!

As an aside...I know I need to oil the wood periodically...how often and what should I use? Thanks.

(edit) - they are 1994's

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!! Before you put them together, wipe them down with mineral spirits a couple times to clean off any dirt, old oil, etc. Then use Watco oil (or a similar quality product). Let dry, and re-apply again until after they are dry, they have an even "sheen". Then once a month for a couple months, then once every six months, etc. Be careful when oiling. Don't use too much, or an excessive amount on the rag (use washed cotton). Little bit goes a long way. Look at:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000767/1757/Watco-Danish-Oil-Golden-Oak-Pint.aspx

So I got them put back together and hooked up last night, and no sound from one of the mid horns! They weren't hooked up when I bought them, and I took the guys word that they worked fine. My bad.

So now, I have to figure out exactly what is wrong...I plan on checking the driver with an ohm meter as soon as I can get one. So much for my day off listening to my new speakers. They do look nice, and one sounds great.[:P]

• Double check all of the connections at the networks;
  • test the dead driver with a AA battery. When you bridge the terminals with the battery in line, you should hear scratching from the driver; or
  • swap the mid drivers between the speakers to see if the problem follows the driver.

I'd be surprised if the driver is bad (much more likely if it were one of the tweeters). It's more likely a bad connection at the network.

• Double check all of the connections at the networks;
  • test the dead driver with a AA battery. When you bridge the terminals with the battery in line, you should hear scratching from the driver; or
  • swap the mid drivers between the speakers to see if the problem follows the driver.

I'd be surprised if the driver is bad (much more likely if it were one of the tweeters). It's more likely a bad connection at the network.

All good suggestions. I would also be surprised if a driver were bad. You can unhook the wires on the compression driver and unscrew it from the horn, swap it with the other side to see what happens.

Thanks DizRotus and Peter. All the connections seem fine...nothing is loose. Everything is sauterized (spelling?), even where the wires connect to the driver...is this normal? And, since everything is welded together, where is the appropriate place to unhook the wires from the driver so I can swap them?

Thanks DizRotus and Peter. All the connections seem fine...nothing is loose. Everything is sauterized (spelling?), even where the wires connect to the driver...is this normal? And, since everything is welded together, where is the appropriate place to unhook the wires from the driver so I can swap them?

Before you do that, you can try almost any boom box or whatever that has a speaker out and just connect straight to it to see if it sounds. Back in the day, I've heard them connected to a transistor radio...

Dave

Thanks Dave. How do I do that? Use any old speaker wire and connect +/- to each side of the driver?

Also, to add to the thread, I tried an ohm meter, and I get readings that I am not confident in...I can consistently get 0.3 ohms sometimes on both the good and bad driver, which I know isn't right.

If the leads are soldered then readings from a DVM, ohm meter, etc. will be all but useless as there will be continuity through the balancing networks and/or the drivers.

As an alternative to using a boom box, get a piece of wire and connect it to one end of a AA or AAA battery. While touching the other end of the battery to one driver terminal, scratch the end of the wire connected to the battery across the other terminal. Again, polarity is irrelevant at this point. If the voice coil is intact you will hear a scratching sound from the driver.