just booked a trip to Hawaii, Big Island!!

Brac

Was trying to go to the Bahamas, (we've been lots of times). Came across a deal for less money to go to Hawaii, with 1 bedroom villa, and a rental car. Seven nights RT from Boston for $2000. Just can't believe we're going!

This will be our first trip. always thought it was too expensive, to even consider. The first deal I found was for Oahu, and I almost booked it, till the wife did a quick search for the volcano park.

Let me throw in a few ideas in case you haven't run across them, in addition to the NP:

• Kilauea crater and crater rim road
  • Kohala peninsula and mountain road -- branch off from driving to Waimea
  • 4-wheel drive down into and driving tour of the Waiipio Valley (4X4 high center required; there used to be an outfit that did Land Rover tours)
  • Drive around the southern half of the island, look at Naalehu and the south point, stop at a black sand beach

Things to note:

• The lava is/was very fluid, hence the extraordinarily gentle slopes of the Big Island mountains
  • You will be amazed at how a descent on a straight, seemingly gentle grade is actually very fast, loses 4,000' feet in no time
  • Look for other islands across the water and not far in the distance -- Maui, Molokai for example
  • Don't know about now, but some roads were off-limits to rental cars, perhaps because the slopes are so deceptively steep and long. I was always disappointed that I couldn't take the saddle road between the two big mts -- goes from sea level to 6,600'!
  • The island is a mini-continent: a dry side, very wet/rainy side, snow at times on Mauna Kea
  • The climate is usually much more comfortable humidity-wise than the Carribean, unless the winds are "Kona" instead of Trade

Larry

Thanks Larry, Great info.

The wife found something on the net about diving with manta-rays at night, looks wild! I was in the Cayman's once and swam with the stingrays. This looks much cooler.

You made the right choice. No volcanoes on Oahu, just palm trees, ABC stores and very aggressive hookers.

You are right diz, but that's only waikiki. The rest of Oahu is more diverse and culturally rich than the other islands combined. There is pretty much something for everyone there. Actually I don't think I've seen a single ABC store outside of Waikiki. That being said, all the islands are worth a visit, and Brac it sounds like a great deal on a great vacation. Where is the villa by the way?

While still on the Hawaii topic if anyone is considering Oahu (the Arizona memorial alone is something every American can benefit from) I suggest avoiding the relative convenience of Waikiki for a better experience of renting a house, condo, or b&b in or near Kailua on the windward side. The beaches are better, it's less crowded, and by renting a car you can see everything you would otherwise want to see anyway.

Near the airport, down a rocky dirt road, and a 15 minute walk, is a secluded beach at Kekaha Kai State Park. We spent an entire day there and only saw one other person walk down the beach. White sand, warm green/blue water with a gentle surf.

Took a plane ride over the hill to see the lava flow. That was a pretty cool trip. The pilot worked the plane up the slope on the way back to the point where it just wouldn't climb anymore, and then turned to go around the mountain. Just a little disconcerting.

The Big Island is quiet and friendly. We also spent two days in Maui, and had a great time there as well.

Were I to go again, I wouldn't bother with a luau. Also, I would do something - anything - to avoid sitting on a plane from Hawaii to NYC. Gawd that was aweful! Next time we'll spend a day somewhere along the way to break up the long flight.

Have a great trip.

Greg

hope you enjoy the trip. i've been a couple of times. been to oahu, big island, maui, kauai--had a nice time on all the islands. by reading this thread, i must be in the minority; because i love waikiki. at night, it was like walking down the strip at in vegas; but, i don't at all mind the people and activity, never was much for seclusion. And more importantly, the weather suited me better on that side of the island. i have chronic asthma and didn't have any trouble breathing when i stayed at waikiki--the air definitely felt different on the other side of the island, and after a few hours there, i was reaching for my inhaler. Drove all over Kauai and took some great pictures--and saw some waterfalls and the blowhole. I'd go back again...and hope too.

Was trying to go to the Bahamas, (we've been lots of times). Came across a deal for less money to go to Hawaii, with 1 bedroom villa, and a rental car. Seven nights RT from Boston for $2000. Just can't believe we're going!

Nice I lived in Kona for a year it is my favorite spot on the Hawaiian islands enjoy.

Stella Maris Bahamas, was one of the places we were looking at when we found this. We booked it on the phone with expedia, the rep, was able to suggest flights and days for the best deal.

The small Islands in the Bahamas are attractive because they have small populations no big cities and lots of small rental homes. The rental homes can be had for $900 and up on the beach. Getting there is interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

So the planning stage is going great.

Day 1, take it easy, drive south from Kona see beaches and do some shore diving.

day 2 we're going fishing, 2-person 6hr charter, then at sunset we are going with Neptune Charlie's for a Manta dive (snorkel). I'm certified but it seems like you either look down at them or up at them. I can't see paying $50 more to look up. Also the wife does not dive.

day 3 we go scross Saddle roads with a few stops on the way, top of Mauna Kea and (an off the beaten path cave, maybe) Then spend the night in Hilo

Day 4 this took alot of research. Most of the helicopter's are trying to be flying busses, they even allow a "lap baby", and not all seats get a window. So we are going old school. Helicopter flight is gonna be a Hughes with the door off! Once we see the lay of the land we will spend the rest of the day at VPN. Hoping to see ULU Creater.

So we still have 3 days to plan stuff.

We were looking at a zip line course/tour? http://www.bigislandecoadventures.com/zip-line-tour-info

The reviews around are really great, anybody here done it?