Sansui 9090DB Price?

gagelle

Does anyone know what a Sansui 9090DB should sell for that has been restored and bench tested? I see prices all over the place. I'm not handy, so if I buy one that hasn't been checked, I imagine it would be costly to restore and expensive to ship to a technician. And then the skill of the restorer is an unknown. Seems risky in any case but these machines sound incredible when working well.

"Seems risky in any case but these machines sound incredible when working well. :

I own a DB9090 in the garage.

A Hafler DH200/220 and any pre sound better, and are a lot easier to get parts for.

Howdy Neighbor! Always good to see "West Coasters" here.

I will second the Hafler gear. I've been running a DH100 for a few years now and it is a great amp. If you can find a DH200 or 500, you'd be better off, but I am plenty happy with my DH100. IIRC, I paid $50 on Craigslist, from the original owner.

Dennie

Friend of mine got one for $12 as is, and is still using it as is years later. Have to work the volume control some as he has never had it apart to De Oxit the controls or switches. I paid a little over 33 x's that for mine, and he thought I got a deal. Gota stay away from that little old stereo store. Seem to be going through 2nd childhood. Grandad made it to his second manhood and told the ladies he knew when he was younger they'd better look out. [6]

Do you know who restored the 9090db ? Some guys throw a few new caps in and called them restored. I have alot of Sansui XOXO series receivers and only 1 has been restored by my tech. It is ab 8080db and of the 4 that I own I cant tell the difference from the other 3. Of all that I have there is not a bad sounding one in the bunch !

Hi Dennie,

Thanks for the advice. You really did well with your DH100. This thread opened my eyes. I already have more gear than I can use at one time and there's no reason not to be patient and wait for a good deal on a Hafler.

Best,

Seth

Thanks Davis,

I heard one at a local vinyl shop and was very impressed with the sound. His unit had absolutely no restoration. There was just one VU meter that wasn't working. He also has a 9090DB that he wants to sell but I think his price may be too high.

He grew another?

[6] Naw, just got his second wind, or was it the 3rd? Lost count, he was such a devil when it came to the women. Would give us grand kids most anything. Motorcycle, custom coats. Sister was the only person I knew that had a full length Chinchilla fur coat in grade school. He was a good person and would buy bicycles for all the kids that didn't have one. It didn't matter if he knew them or not. Missing him for many years now.

$200 to $400 depending oncondition. Vintage hi fi shops will have them for as high as $600. I would go separates myself. Hafler is a good idea, or Nad. If you want a receiver do yourself a favor and get a pioneer SX1250. Then you will be impressed.

I gave one away on CL. But, it was a serious basket case and needed a heinous amount of elbow grease. A massive overflowing amount of heinous (or, heenEEous for those of you so inclined) grease.

That being said, I wish that I kept it! I have a MINT G5700 now that does my bedroom Fortes fairly proud. $45 on CL.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found out that the"DB" (Dolby Sansui) are extremely difficult to repair if the Dolby circuit goes out. From what I've read, it can't be bypassed. It has to be repaired. That's a big "Stay Away" sign for me.