Cleaning amplifiers.

gagelle

Hello All,

How do you clean dust that accumulates on the top of amplifiers and receivers? There are heat vent holes on the top of my equipment. This is where the dust accumulates. I don't want to use a plain rag because it may just push the dust inside the vent holes. I've read that some people use a vacuum. Is this a safe method? Thanks in advance for any help.

Microfiber cloths work well (very cheap in huge packs at Costco). If it's super-filthy you may want to use a vac first. It's safe as long as you don't spaz out with the wand. I'd definitely avoid using the powered carpet head...

swapper-medium-3.jpg

A good technique would be to get the nozzle close to the equipment, then use a soft brush to stir up the dust so it can be sucked up into the vac.

Dust is an insulator. Insulation keeps heat. Heat kills amps over time.

On amps that have been collecting dust for several years...... As in they look almost like a giant chia pet on top.... You should consider disconnecting, placing the amp on a table, removing the top cover and really cleaning out the dust bunnies.

Go to Wal-mart or Radioshack and get a can of "clean air". Those who have an air compressor with a dust off "schnozzle" and a water trap can also use that "tool".

Most amp covers can be removed with a few screws. With the cover off, blow out all the dust on the chassis. Take care to NOT touch anything with the nozzle. Most of the crud will come off with the air. For the more dedicated dust bunnies, you can carefully use a 1" paintbrush. Inspect carefully that you did not leave any brush bristles on the circuit board(s). Turn the amp on both ends and repeat. Then turun it upside down and blow out the dust through any cooling vents on the bottom.

Carefully wash and dry the cover. Make sure it's dry....... Then re-assemble, reconnect, etc.

On the "heat" issue.... You can also buy a chassis fan and place it over cooling vents on the top cover. Set the fan to spin sucking the air through the chassis, not blowing down. Use the lowest possible setting. You only need to keep the air moving from the bottom and/or sides up through the vents. Using a high setting can cause the amp to not achieve it's working temperature. Most amps work best when they are at their minimum designed operating temperature.

About once every couple months remove the fan and clean the blades with compressed air.

I do not "endorse" any fan make or model, but I use fans from this guy on all of my amps:

http://myworld.ebay.com/drmckenzie

Nice guy, very reliable, and can advise on what to use if you are unsure.

This is what I have (as in a bunch of them): http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Theater-component-120mm-Mega-fan-cooling-system_W0QQitemZ290459335750QQihZ019QQcategoryZ67887QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Two of them are now over 7 years old and still work perfectly.

[H]

I have my PC next to my receiver.

I have a PC exhaust fan driven off of the PCs power supply. (120mm)

This is placed on top (pulling the air up) of my receiver.

I remove the receivers cover every 6 months or so to do the low pressure air cleaning.

I use a reversible vacuum.... If using canned air; be careful not to invert or shake the can, or you will squirt liquid from it.

Good Luck.

What about cleaning dust from tube amps? I have an uncovered Scott 299B that I would like to blow (or suck) out, but am afraid of damaging. The cover that came with it is metal and seems like it would trap a lot of heat, so I don't use it.

What about cleaning dust from tube amps? I have an uncovered Scott 299B that I would like to blow (or suck) out, but am afraid of damaging. The cover that came with it is metal and seems like it would trap a lot of heat, so I don't use it.

Same applies. Just be careful not to remove silkscreening on chassis, and especially the older tubes (if you have any). The lettering can come off tubes with hardly any effort. I know this intimately.[:(]

I used what I was given to me at the time which was Monster screen cleaner.Some q-tips and a can of pledge for my wood veneer Infinitys

Many have diagreed saying you should not use any chemical solution no matter how diluted. Now I use a very wrung out chamois cloth w/ hot water, and for my speakers either pledge or endust.

Others I have seen use canned air ,but never paper towels because they can leave either streaks or if a cheap brand even lay down minute scratches

Get your hands on a vintage Electrolux horsehair brush attachment and vacuum cleaner. I use it regularly to dry clean my various gears, as it is very important to remove dust before attempting any applicable wet cleaning. It is THE BEST above floor cleaning setup I have ever used. The soft horsehair is non-scratching, and with delicate/careful use can even be used on my vintage Macs.

I have another trick I use with the "angle crevice tool" too. I wrap the end with a blue "shop towel" then suck the edges just inside the angle tool, then tape the towel to hold in place around the sides of the tool. Then I can use that crevice tool to get in those tight spaces without scratching any surface, as the tip of the crevice tool is wrapped with the shop towel as a "cushion".....I work those tighter areas with the tool, gently vacuuming those areas without scratching.

An odd, "vintage" sort of solution, but that brush works wonders, and I've yet to see any other like it on the market. I look a bit like a doctor doing liposuction on a patient, but it works :-)

I have kept a tight weave piece of fabric as a dust cover on one of my mixers. I wasn't too crazy about using a plastic bag, due to the possible static electricity issues. SInce the mixer suface is mostly horizontal like a table top... dust likes to get into the faders and around the bazillion (tech term) knobs. No fun to clean.

But I then use a one inch brush and vacuum. The brush knocks it all loose and the vacuum makes it disappear.

I don't have cages on my tube amps (Moondogs never had them and I leave the one off my Dynaco ST70). After a baby sitter left an LP on top of the Dynaco tube cage and melted an LP (can't remember what it was, it was over 20 years ago... [:S] )

Bruce