for MWM fanatics

ClaudeJ1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the third is done one more and the full stack will be complete.

Now I'm starting to question your sanity. LOL. Been there, done that, will build LAB v3 horns (Brad Litz mod of Danley original design) next to replace corner horns. Roughly the same volume as MWMs, but go much lower frequency range (30-200 Hz.) and a better match to my MB-1's which go to 120 Hz. easily.

The LABhorns are about 10-11 ft. long vs. 6 ft. long for an MWMs, but much harder to build. Has twin 12" woofers pushing agains each other for super low distortion "sick bass" according to some. I'm very happy with my 18 foot tapped horn coffee table sub, now I want to put more bass in corners.

Enjoy you MWM's for music, they are hard to beat in their bass tracking detail. I originally had double bins too, but found that to be a waste of space and overkill, but to each their own.

Yes however what is sanity to the audiofile? I plan to build some subs in the near future to cover the 20Hz-40Hz the DTS -10's look to be the ticket . I love the sound of the double stack I also plan to use these outside in the future not sure I understand your waste of space they aren't taking up anymore room than a single unless your house has very low ceilings .

Yes however what is sanity to the audiofile? I plan to build some subs in the near future to cover the 20Hz-40Hz the DTS -10's look to be the ticket . I love the sound of the double stack I also plan to use these outside in the future not sure I understand your waste of space they aren't taking up anymore room than a single unless your house has very low ceilings .

Yes, I was referring to my space, which was barely 7 ft. ceilings, but raising the treble horn stacks a bit too high as well. The corner horn in my Avatar is temporary. Now that I have a Lab driver/tapped horn, coffee table sub (I may still end up with a DTS 10 eventually) it has changed the whole game. Since I now have the terrific MB-1 midbass horn (lower mid is a better term, but I digress) I have been spoiled, as I'm sure you have by the MB2 in similar fashion. So I have been spoiled by having a STAIGHT AXIS horn going as low as possible. I'm crossing my corner horns at 125 Hz. to the MB-1, which means I'm only using one octave from those, preferring to do 20-60 Hz. with the coffee table Tapped Horn Sub, which blends amazingly well with the corner stacks.............

So I want to extend the bandwidth of the corner speakers so they can get to 30 Hz. easily withou EQ and to get to 20 Hz. with.......having the option of not using a sub for music and still get low.

So, along with JW Cullison on this board, I believe in straight axis horns for as much of the audio band as possible. If not, they should have the fewest number of folds. So the MWMs, for music, is better than the Corner horn, even though it doesn't dig quite as deep, it's a simpler construction with only two folds, a great compromise of everything but floor space.

I also think that a "C" horn comes closer to a straight axis horn than a Khorn of Jubilee. the MWMs is more like a gian LaScala bass, with an extra octave where it counts, but all of Klipsch's and thei clones offer only 6-8 ft. of horn length.

My tappe horn give me 18 ft..........a real low bass spoiler below 60 hz. So my next move is for a LAB horn that gets me to 30 hz. and below in a corner with only 22.5 inches of height, so I can bring down my 4-way stack. Once I have that, the next step is to go to active Xovers vs. the simple passives with Audyssey EQ I have now. It's all fun.

Eventually I cant to replace the MB-1 with something out of oak or birch so I can make the stack a bit "prettier" and have the pride of building the entire thing......so I will probably build some Oblate Spheroid Waveguides for the top end and eventually have EVERYTHING made out of nice wood.

It's amazing what you can discover when you do actual MEASURMENTS instead of relying on theory.

Theoretically, the Khorn bottom should have better bass than a Peavey FH-1 (slightly larger, cheaper, and arguably better built version of a commercial LaScala bottom). While I still think the MWMs trumps them both, since it's also a "W" bin that's 6 feet long, I'm trying to save floor space and drop my "stack" down some more.

So, I removed the Peavey 1504 Black Widow woofer and put in a K-33 inside instead. Since I had the same woofers, one in the corner horn and one in the FH-1, which I place directly in front of the corner horn cabinet.

I place the microphone on the floor directly in front of each horn mouth on the right side and to my surprise, the FH1/K33 combo is a flatter response for MY ROOM than the corner horn. Since I'm using a Parts Express subwoofer amp for the corner horns, I'm able to actively (analog filter) cut off the higher end response of the woofer section by simply turning 2 knobs to optimize how it mates with the Midbass horn (level and low-pass Xover point).

With the same exact settings on the Xover, and simply plugging one woofer section in vs. another, the FH1 is the clear winner. I'm starting to go back to shorter woofer sections with only 2 folds instead of 3.........basically the freqency peak I'm dealing with in the corner horn for MY room, is about 90 Hz. Whereas the peak for the FH1 is at 70 Hz, which was a total surprise to me.

So as I continue my journey from Klipshorns, to MWM stacks with LaScalas, to what I have in my Avatar, I'm now going to remove the corner horns and use FH1's with K33's for the bass, since my 2ch./5.1 setup (with Cornwall Center and Heresy rears) uses the coffe table tapped horn for ALL bass from 20-60 Hz., it's a better match as far as measurement goes.

Can't wait to recalibrate and listen when the swap is complete.

You guys that have room for MWMs bins have the best of both worlds...........I almost regret selling mine now, but I will not go back to them unless the LAB horns I'm building don't pan out next year.

I have two pair of the FH-1 cabinets one loaded with K-43's and the other 1504's the K-43's sound considerably better I think I may get a pair of Bob's cast frame woofers to try out. I'm almost done with the forth MWM can't wait to hook it up also can't wait to use these outside somewhere. I'm thinking of getting the Ashly Protea in a few months to run the stack maybe after the holidays I can swing it. If I didn't have a garage to put my stack they would have to go into storage as they are to big for my house.

I'm almost done with the forth MWM can't wait to hook it up also can't wait to use these outside somewhere

Though I certainly agree with you and understand your point, I presume you've tried just one in mono?

I pulled my two little MWM singles outside for a movie and prior to doing it turned things up a notch and except for the strong echo problem I had, it sounded killer.

If memory serves me, I was getting peaks on my uber-sensative-accurate Radio Shack SPL meter of 114 db's at 52 (measured) feet away.

I was using the C scale which I later learned might not have been the right way to do it for outdoors.

Yes and was amazed that how nice the two sounded compared to the one can't wait we got some unexpected rain so I may take the day off and start up tomorrow I sure am glad I covered them up with plastic last night as I almost didn't because rain was not in the forecast . I reposted the photo in case you didn't see it on the previous page also the Peavey IPR 1600 amp seems solid at 2ohms running the one side I will see how it does with the four soon I have the mid and high running with Crown xti 1000 I may replace Crown on the HF because they hiss alot.

From what I understand the Ashly Protea 3.6 and 4.8 are close to same internally except for a couple of things. The USB port on the 4.8 is one. I would call Ashly tech support and ask. When I was in shopping mode a couple of years ago I got very good info from those guys. I just don't remember all the details.

Today my Protea 4.8 is still operating perfectly and I love the crap out of it. I have plans to eventually turn my MCM-3 Grand into the MCM-4 and will need more I/O. If I can't find the bigger Ashly for a reasonable price I'll buy another Protea 4.8 in a minute and link them. That's how much I like it.

I have two pair of the FH-1 cabinets one loaded with K-43's and the other 1504's the K-43's sound considerably better I think I may get a pair of Bob's cast frame woofers to try out. I'm almost done with the forth MWM can't wait to hook it up also can't wait to use these outside somewhere. I'm thinking of getting the Ashly Protea in a few months to run the stack maybe after the holidays I can swing it. If I didn't have a garage to put my stack they would have to go into storage as they are to big for my house.

I really like the K43's to mate with the k400/K55v, it's much better sounding in the mids than the K33.

My application is from 60-120 Hz. only, so the K33 is better in the FH-1......blends well withe the MB1's 120 Hz bottom and the top of the sub sub Tapped Horn (20-60 Hz.).