for MWM fanatics

ClaudeJ1

One more thing I did to mine was to add pet screen to the opening (mouth) you show there where the woofer mounts. I stapled it over the mouth and carefully pounded all teh staples down flat. I talked to Roy about it and he said Klipsch did this at one point and it did not affect the sound. I have 3 cats and they go into the MWMs all the time............but they can't get to my woofers!

Hey Mark, all you need to do is train your cats! I have a complete RF7 HT set up along with 4 other set ups that cats would love, but my cats know where the limits are and they might walk around them, but they really know what their limits are and don't get too close to any of them, but it took some work. Cats are just like dogs, just a little more hard headed, but they can be trained.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have these temporarily hook up using the MWM on the LF crossed at 300Hz and the large La scalas I built are taking it from there with my Behringer CX2310 2 way stereo using the crossovers in the LSI tops so really 3 way with two Crown Xti 1000 amps. Man the bass amazing and after looking around at different crossovers and talking to people Ashly is the clear winner so I purchased a XR 2001 should have it next week. I am very happy I went with these even though they are big by far the best LF cabinets I have ever had I skipped Klipschorns for now on my journey but maybe I'll get a pair down the road.

So, what is a K44? The K43 was the high power woofer for the MWM, I'm curious.

K-44 was used in commercial Klipschorns and the commercial Cornwalls .

I'd be cusrious to see how the bottom rolloff measures vs. the K33/K43 that I'm familiar with. 45-60 Hz hump is normal before rolloff.

That's why I put K33 woofers in mine. Look how strong at around 140 though. That's where the industrial drivers are strong. The horn itself needs help at 40Hz and that's why Roy recommended the K33 to me for home use. The K33 is stronger down at 40 where the horn needs it, less powerful in the 140 range where the horn itself works well. I have heard the K33 was the original woofer in an MWM, but I'm not sure about that.

I have never worried about power or damage because I use K33s. I use a QSC 1804 on my cabinets with nothing in between the amp and drivers.

Here's an old plot of my MCM-3. You can see my subs filling in below 50hz.

Still, I think the build quality of these DIY MWM are excellent and they are tunable depending on the woofers you use. It's all good.

post-12535-1381965942548_thumb.png

There is a noticeable dip around 170 in my RTA print above. That is a Klipsch spec'd PEQ setting to kill a boom in the MWM cabinet...........per Roy........if I didn't have that PEQ set then the curve is perfectly flat in that range. Looks great............but the boom is audible.

This is a second reading I did with just one MWM not sure if how accurate this is with the Iphone Audiotools app and the mic?.I will have my Ashly XR 2001 next Wed so I will get the JBL 2360A horn out and get them going I plan to go 3 way and cross at 300Hz and 800Hz .

That's why I put K33 woofers in mine. Look how strong at around 140 though. That's where the industrial drivers are strong. The horn itself needs help at 40Hz and that's why Roy recommended the K33 to me for home use. The K33 is stronger down at 40 where the horn needs it, less powerful in the 140 range where the horn itself works well. I have heard the K33 was the original woofer in an MWM, but I'm not sure about that.

I have never worried about power or damage because I use K33s. I use a QSC 1804 on my cabinets with nothing in between the amp and drivers.

Here's an old plot of my MCM-3. You can see my subs filling in below 50hz.

Still, I think the build quality of these DIY MWM are excellent and they are tunable depending on the woofers you use. It's all good.

I'm sure it was the K33's because Gary Gillum did most of the physical labor on developing the MWM patent with PWK. He told me on the phone that the K33 was the original woofer for this bin, period. In fact, initially they were trying to make a PA with just the inner portrion (short horn/air chamber). It had no low end even when they tried firing it into a corner. It wasn't until they put a full sheet of plywood on top (just playing around) that the response went boom, low enough.

My own measurements showed the K33 to be clearly superior to the K43 in terms of overall balance of sound, although it handles 3 db less power.