for MWM fanatics

ClaudeJ1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, if you go all the way and wind up with an MCM-3 or MCM-4 system...............I'll let you off the hook [:D]. You will not be able to build a K305, 402, and 510. So eventually you'll have to go and get the real deals to finish your stacks.

Thanks I have a pair of JBL 2360A horns with 2445J drivers I could use for starters with them.

It's a good start. the 2445J needs more shelving EQ up top than does the 2446J, which I use and JC liked as well when he had them. You will eventually end up with a 4 or 5-way setup, but you will enjoy the 2-way in the meantime. You can get the DCS 2496 Behringer for less than $300 to play with, and you don't need a computer to use it. Enjoy the MWM journey, as I have for the last 3 1/2 years after having the Khorn-LaScala-Khorn 3-channel setup (same as PWK's that I heard at his house). My simple conclusion?? The bigger the horn, the better the horn!!

Cool thanks I am picking up a pair of Peavey MB-2 's this week I may use those with the JBL 2360A's and the EV DH1A's . This is the bottom complete with 3 coats of poly and the woofer wire set up to the back. Final cost break down for one with K-44 woofer is about $380. not bad. I may start with the DBX Driverack plus for starters .

Cool thanks I am picking up a pair of Peavey MB-1 's this week I may use those with the JBL 2360A's and the EV DH1A's . This is the bottom complete with 3 coats of poly and the woofer wire set up to the back. Final cost break down for one with K-44 woofer is about $380. not bad. I may start with the DBX Driverack plus for starters .

K33 or 43 for MWM, not familiar with K44, but it might work. You will love the extra detail you get with the MB-1, one of the best upgrades I have ever done. If you read what Mark wrote about JC's straight axis tractrix horns with twin 12" drivers that go down to 70 Hz., the MB-1 is about an octave higher all around 120 Hz. to 1.2 Khz. but give you so much more detail in the mids, it's scary.

I have mint DH1A's and they outperform JBL2446J's very slightly, measurement wise, on the on the smaller 90x60 JBL horns, but I stuck with JBL on JBL for the 2360A. and kept the 2446J's there, mostly because of the 16 ohm impedance vs. the 6 ohms for the EV DH1A. This eliminated an autoformer from my passive network, as the 16 Ohm JBL 2446J (112 db/watt on the 2360A horn) mates perectly in terms of output matching with the 8 ohm MB-1, which 109 db/Watt. So with the same voltage drive ahead of their respective capacitors, the impedance difference makes them both 109 db/2.83 VOLTS.

With active Xover, PEQ, and shelving, you can kick up the DH1A +12 db at 12 Khz. and get pretty flat output from the big JBL horn. As you can see I prefer to add double 107 db/w, 8 ohm super tweets instead and let the 2360 roll off naturally at 6Khz. I have very few components in my network....3 caps and one inductor.

Looks fantastic, totally gorgeous............Just lettin' you know in case you plan to stack.............The ones I have also have 2 aluminum rails right down the middle of the top surface of the cabinets so you can slide another MWM on top of it and not scratch the bottom cabinet up too bad. Here's an OLD pic.

post-12535-13819658799132_thumb.jpg

Yes I did see those in photos and will add those later when I build another pair thank you. I just fired them up with a LSI top with ALK Jr crossovers WOW man,or as they say out here on the West Coast "Sick Dude", I'm in even more trouble now I can't wait to hook up the JBL 2360A horns with the EV drivers. I think I'm going to look around for an Ashly crossover for starters maybe the XR 3001 or 2001???[*-)]

• Moderators

I just fired them up with a LSI top with ALK Jr crossovers WOW man,or as they say out here on the West Coast "Sick Dude",

That's funny, except for a different crossover that's what we use in the garage, pointed out in the yard they really sound nice.

I really like that aluminum trim you put on, that should help from bending up the corners.

You did a great job, and also with all the pic's it's much easier to see whats going on.

Your going to love them........get you a little battery powered t-amp, connect it to your car battery with a i-pod and bring them out in the hills for a big party, bet they would enjoy that at the beach [:P]. Completely portable [:D]

our going to love them........get you a little battery powered t-amp, connect it to your car battery with a i-pod and bring them out in the hills for a big party, bet they would enjoy that at the beach Stick out tongue. Completely portable Big Smile

Says the man with a flatbed truck. LOL. I used to measure 13 milliwatts at normal 85 db listening levels, add 20 db of headroom and you will need about 1.3 watts, which a 6-watt T-amp can provide. Mine is a Sonic Impact tested at Klipsch Indy by one of their engineers. the fist 6 Watts are extremely low distortion.