for MWM fanatics

ClaudeJ1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got it going 3-way today I had it 2-way yesterday with my Behringer CX 2310 but with the Ashley XR 2001 man I think I have arrived however I want to get the Peavey MB-2 in the mid section in a few weeks when it comes down from San Fran. I will try and post some curves tomorrow, Here is the bass bin

This is the mid horn I'll try and get the HF horn done tonight. Interesting when I put the equalizer in the system it cut about 5 db's on the right channel and adds alot of noise most likely due to a not so good EQ. I have an ART 2x15 EQ and a BBE 2x31 EQ ??

I cross my JBL horns at 700 Hz.That lower bin looks like a 555 which was designed my Gary Gillum's son for the HPS-4000 theater system in the Boston area. Gary was former chief engineer under PWK and the co-patent holder on the MWM.

I'm glad to see you using only one MWMs bin for the bass. I used to have 2 per side and found it was a waste of space.......one per ch. is plenty.

I built those a few years back and yes they are similar to the 555's my cabinets are 38" wide and sides are 32" from the back to front and the back is 24" wide it's a great cabinet. I'm very happy with the set up I just need to solve the EQ issue and all will be well . What next???

I built those a few years back and yes they are similar to the 555's my cabinets are 38" wide and sides are 32" from the back to front and the back is 24" wide it's a great cabinet. I'm very happy with the set up I just need to solve the EQ issue and all will be well . What next???

Well, let's see. I think you may find the extra critical detail from a straight axis horn to be better than the 555/LaScala/FH1 type of short W bin, since the sound changes direction abruptly 3 times in all of them. So I think you will find the MB2 to give you more detail and transient impact in the band I prefer to call "Lower Midrange" rather than MidBass. From my experices in the last 4 years, I believe that we should only allow folded horns below 200 Hz. because too many peaks and valleys show up at those frequencies. They can be tamed by digital PEQ but acoustically you are still turning corners. I prefer to be looking right down the throat of a horn for as much of the vocal range as possivle (80-1,400 Hz.). I had to do it with 2 horns, but I would prefer one. The MB-1 handles from 120 to 700 with first order network, so it gets real close.

MB2's are a smaller, less efficient version of the MB-1's which were top of the line for Peavey in those days (104 vs. 109 db/W). They also have a bit less low end by about 150 Hz.but should be measured, eh? The longer horn/bigger mouth with CD properties, throat phase plug and a 60x40 dispersion angle of the MB-1 allows that horn to have a larger bandwidth as well. I cross mine to the K bins at 120 Hz, so I"m using as little of the many folded K bin at the higher end of it's band, where things get funky fast.Bt that being said, the MB-2 is an acceptable compromise, especially since it matches the efficiency of the MWM to a close degree, not requiring gain matching as much as my MB-1 does.

Based on the large surface real estate of the MWM bin, you can easility accomodate and MB-1 and have it phase aligned with the bass by having it's driver stick out of the back about 2 feet. With the MB-2 you may need some time delay, which, unfortunately, in most analog active Xovers, the time delays are designed to delay the woofers, not the mid/treble horns.

So how the 555 clones sound. What are your Xover points and at what slopes?

They sound good and it was only going to be temporary until the MB-2 cabinets come down from San Fran. I have them crossed at 300Hz-800Hz 24db slope.

Good choice of bandwidth and slopes with the MWM. I'd be anxious to read if you agree with my hypothesis about straight horns vs. folded in that critical lower midrange.

So how the 555 clones sound. What are your Xover points and at what slopes?

They sound good and it was only going to be temporary until the MB-2 cabinets come down from San Fran. I have them crossed at 300Hz-800Hz 24db slope.

Good choice of bandwidth and slopes with the MWM. I'd be anxious to read if you agree with my hypothesis about straight horns vs. folded in that critical lower midrange.

I'm very excited about getting the MB-2 hooked up I'm sure it will sound better than the folded horn I am currently using.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let's see. I think you may find the extra critical detail from a straight axis horn to be better than the 555/LaScala/FH1 type of short W bin, since the sound changes direction abruptly 3 times in all of them. So I think you will find the MB2 to give you more detail and transient impact in the band I prefer to call "Lower Midrange" rather than MidBass. From my experices in the last 4 years, I believe that we should only allow folded horns below 200 Hz. because too many peaks and valleys show up at those frequencies. They can be tamed by digital PEQ but acoustically you are still turning corners. I prefer to be looking right down the throat of a horn for as much of the vocal range as possivle (80-1,400 Hz.). I had to do it with 2 horns, but I would prefer one. The MB-1 handles from 120 to 700 with first order network, so it gets real close.

MB2's are a smaller, less efficient version of the MB-1's which were top of the line for Peavey in those days (104 vs. 109 db/W). They also have a bit less low end by about 150 Hz.but should be measured, eh? The longer horn/bigger mouth with CD properties, throat phase plug and a 60x40 dispersion angle of the MB-1 allows that horn to have a larger bandwidth as well. I cross mine to the K bins at 120 Hz, so I"m using as little of the many folded K bin at the higher end of it's band, where things get funky fast.Bt that being said, the MB-2 is an acceptable compromise, especially since it matches the efficiency of the MWM to a close degree, not requiring gain matching as much as my MB-1 does.

Based on the large surface real estate of the MWM bin, you can easility accomodate and MB-1 and have it phase aligned with the bass by having it's driver stick out of the back about 2 feet. With the MB-2 you may need some time delay, which, unfortunately, in most analog active Xovers, the time delays are designed to delay the woofers, not the mid/treble horns.

I think the Crown XTI 1000,s can be programed for time delay not 100 % sure ?

Cool I have two of them do you have any idea what the delay should be or how to do itConfused

It's via a computer connection and their downloadable software. I'ts 0.8881 milliseconds per foot. You need to delay the treble section, not the bass.The MWM is a 6 foot horn so let's say that your VC on the mibass is 2 feet back when it's mouth is even with the MWM mouth. You need to delay 4X the number above.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry but where was the review on JC's dual 12 horn?

Did you build the MB1? or was it the MB2 you have.....sorry confused.

You can't build an MB-1 it's a pretty fancy, huge molded horn, typically build in 2 halves, which is typical of Peavey back then. IIf you look at my Avatar, it's the bottom black one, immediately abover the corner bass horn. The MB-2 hovever is easily copied since it's a simple wood/conical type horn. Nothing in common between them except a 12" driver.

with the StudioSixDigital RTA, it calibrates itself to whichever iPhone you're using to compensate for the bass rolloff (wind/rumble reducer). It's quite a boost that's applied, so to get a truer reading, run your speakers around 90 db when you take a reading.

I'm planning to build another pair of MWM's just like the one's I built how do you run a pair of those per channel thats getting down below 2 ohms ?

M