Tube amp enthusiasts what do I have here?

Today I picked up this vintage Silvertone console from the original owner for $50. Besides the fact that it's a good looking unit it had a tube amp in it and that is really the only reason I wanted it.

I just got it home and removed the amp as fast as I could, hooked it up to Heresys first and wow, it sounds nice. There is some noise while there is no music which I am hoping can be fixed. I switched the amp over to the Khorns and man this this has some power! Besides the noise I am very happy with it for $50.

So far the only numbers on the tubes I recognize is 6AU6 the rest are forign to me and some help would be great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow! Very Cool! For $50? Yeah, I would have bought it too and like you, I would know nothing about it. scratchheadyellow.gif

Can we see a better picture of the front and rear of the unit? That may help someone recognize what it is, and I also want to see the faceplate. [<:o)]

Thanks and congratulations on your find! clap.gif

Dennie

I believe 6AU6 is a tuner or reception tube. What's the number on the 4 like tubes in row?

The 6973 is a terrific audio tube (although fairly expensive, particularly if you prefer NOS to tubes of recent manufacture)! When used in push-pull, and depending on the operating voltages and bias method used, it can deliver anywhere from around 12-20 watts with low distortion. I'm not surprised that it sounds so good. However, it does have quite a number of capacitors which should absolutely be replaced to avoid potential failure down the road. I've restored quite a number of receivers like this over the years and they are definitely worth preserving. Don't get rid of it!!!

It seems that particular output tube had a short 3 or 4 year production run late 50s. It was used in Seeburg jukeboxes among other things. If I were you I would carefully replace the caps, slide it back in the console, and use it that way. The console does look to be in good shape. Another option would be to buy or build a chassis and do a stereo push pull amp with those parts. I imagine it could get tricky extracting that circuit. You might could find a schematic for that unit. That would help you when considering options.

Wow! Very Cool! For $50? Yeah, I would have bought it too and like you, I would know nothing about it. scratchheadyellow.gif

Can we see a better picture of the front and rear of the unit? That may help someone recognize what it is, and I also want to see the faceplate. Party!!!

Thanks and congratulations on your find! clap.gif

Dennie

What a great find.... This should be a fun project for you. You may even find a good use for the cabinet....

I believe 6AU6 is a tuner or reception tube. What's the number on the 4 like tubes in row?

The 6973 is a terrific audio tube (although fairly expensive, particularly if you prefer NOS to tubes of recent manufacture)! When used in push-pull, and depending on the operating voltages and bias method used, it can deliver anywhere from around 12-20 watts with low distortion. I'm not surprised that it sounds so good. However, it does have quite a number of capacitors which should absolutely be replaced to avoid potential failure down the road. I've restored quite a number of receivers like this over the years and they are definitely worth preserving. Don't get rid of it!!!

I really have a lot to learn and do not understand push-pull yet. I plan on ordering caps for it today. Do you think that will solve the noise issue I am having? ( its like a white noise....not a hum)

The model unit for the console is 3092PC and the only numbers on the chassis are 456. and 54563

I am going to try and build a chassis for it and I plan on keeping the console for a nice table or something.

Push-pull is a design topology which allows tubes to be used in tandem to generate greater power output with lower distortion than when used singly. There are many sites online which can give you a decent tutorial on this subject. The noise could be a capacitor, tube, resistor, or even a cold solder joint. Do you have the schematic for the receiver? If not, on what basis are you ordering the capacitors. Many of the ceramic disc caps in it do not need to be replaced as they are not likely to be "leaky" due to their application in the circuit. You need to be careful when ordering electrolytic caps to get replacements with, at minimum, the same voltage rating as the originals (going higher is beneficial). All the resistors need to be checked for out of tolerance values. How much experience do you have with soldering? Sorry to hit you with all of these questions, but restoring a receiver like this is not generally a beginner's project. Additionally, if you are going to restore the tuner section, you will need alignment info, as well as lots of test equipment. As far as building a chassis for it, it would be better to build a cabinet in which to install it. You don't want to start removing sockets and controls and try to rebuild this in something different.

I've started doing some digging in between the restoration work. FYI, the 456 is the chassis number, and the 54563 is the particular variant that you have. The other number refers to the cabinet style and type of wood. Be glad to help you in any way I can- feel free to email if you want a more detailed discussion. I'll post if I can come up with data. Btw, do you have experience working with potentially lethal voltages? That's something else which you need to consider if you are going to tackle this yourself.

maynard

• Moderators

Btw, do you have experience working with potentially lethal voltages?

Now were talking,[:P] nothing like a little shock treatment when you least expect it to make you pay attention, works every time. [:S]

Nice find especially at that price. [Y]

Another option would be to buy or build a chassis and do a stereo push pull amp with those parts.

It is a stereo amp...

No, right now its a receiver. Im suggesting one option would be taking a new chassis and installing just the stereo push-pull amp w/power supply.

Well, the Sams Photofact directory isn't coming up with the data for your particular receiver. They do show one with the same cabinet number, but different suffix (3092A). Unfortunately, the electronics are different. If it were my decision, I'd try to find a local tech who can trace the circuit from the power supply through the preamp/phase inverter/power amplifier and make the necessary restorations there. As far as the AM/FM tuner, if that's important to you it should be restored as well, although that can be a bit dicey without the factory alignment data. If you don't care about radio reception, I'd pull the tubes involved there. This will eliminate any possible signal bleed through or noise from getting into the preamp when using your CD player as a source. In addition, the decreased current draw from the transformer will result in much cooler operation which isn't a bad thing! If you run into a brick wall in finding someone, I'll be glad to help you out (keep in mind that I'm on the east coast, so shipping could be costly).

maynard

Thanks for the reply fellas [Y] I spoke with Craig this morning and he was very helpful. I am going to replace the caps and a few other small components.

I was typing out of stupidity when I said I was going to build a chassis.......I meant build a nice base or cab for it for the time being. I think it will eventually go back into the original cab. I cleaned up the face plate and put that back on and that help a little with the aesthetics.

If I can put $30-40 in parts and a little time into it, and it sounds better then I am stoked about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got through replacing the caps, electrolytics and both selenium rectifiers today and I could not have done it without tube fanatic's help, he was very patient, knowledgeable, and very thorough. He truly has an understanding of these types of things, to which I am very greatful.

I have really enjoyed learning a little bit about how these things work, and now I want to buy a kit and put one together.

So far I am digging the sound from this amp.

Here is a picture of some of the updates, while not perfect, nor pretty I feel like I understand that solder gun much better.

Thanks again Maynard! [Y]

Posted Image