College gift thoughts

My oldest son is off to University in August. I was thinking back to when I was there and how much I revered the guy who had the Herecy speakers powered by a JVC amp. It sounded better than anything I had ever heard before. It really filled his dorm room, that's for sure. I am thinking about getting something like that for my son. He will have a computer and his iPhone of course.

If I bought a pair of H3's for him as a going away gift, what should I buy as an interface between his computer and those speakers?

If I bought a pair of H3's for him as a going away gift, what should I buy as an interface between his computer and those speakers?

What about something like this small all in one. Smaller profile but with great flexibility.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=MCR603

You could also get a quality music server and use it with a integrated amp or receiver.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=NA7004

Bill

If you want to stay with the Heresy nostalgia since that is what you had, and I totally understand that, excellent performer for small space. I would save some money from the HIII and get some used H1,2 or 3 and a $300-$400 vintage receiver (Marantz 22XX, Sansui, Kenwood, etc.. A match made in Heaven. A good pair of headphones from the relatives would be a good suggestion also.

What a nice Dad!

For getting music out of the computer and out to the system (whatever it is) take a look at the HRT Music Streamers. I've got a Music Streamer II sitting between by HTPC and preamp. Very nice. It'll even pass 24/192 FLAC files at full resolution.

A friend of mine set his daugher up with a Music Streamer II, a small 2-channel amp (an Audiosource I think) and a pair of KG2s. I got to hear it before she took off with it and it sounded great.

Find him a decent vintage 70s/80s receiver on Craigslist for 50 bucks. It will look retro and his buds will think he's quite the dandy. It won't be made of cheap black plastic. It will have cool lights. It will be cheap and if it gets trashed...oh well. If necessary, give it a half an hour with some deoxy TLC. It will sound better than 90 percent of the crap that passses for audio gear these days.

Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc etc etc. The more knobs and buttons the better. It's gotta be silver.

Add a simple 1/8" stereo pin jack and they can plug their ipods into it. I went this route with my daughter and she has morphed into the resident music lunatic at her school. I sent her off with an old pair of (very nice) small Polk bookshelf speakers and she's very happy. The whole kit is small and easy to break down and move. She keeps her KSF10.5s in her room at home. Spoiled brat.

Thanks all. This kid is the business major, then next one will be my engineer.

I got a line on a pr of Heresies for $350. Gonna demo them and hopefully get them. Gonna pair them with my AudioSource SW TWO sub and one of the above recommended solutions. I saw a very nice Fisher Studio Standard receiver on Ebay that had a LOT of buttons, and is 100 wpc. $(KGrHqEOKogE3EwQV4hvBN2Bq8r2cw~~_12.JPG That should rattle the windows! I am looking for some more information on all the different HRT Music Streamer models.

...I am looking for some more information on all the different HRT Music Streamer models.

I've got the HRT Streamer + and so far it is my favorite non-tube USB DAC. I haven't heard their other models but if the Streamer II or iStreamer (for ipad or iphone) are even close they would be well worth a listen!

I managed to pick it up from a 3rd party via Amazon for $300. Here is the PDF from High Resolution Technologies: Link

HRT info: Here

I bought the Heresies this evening. They are 1985 model early Heresy II's. Paid $350 for the pair, cane grills, and real nice finish. I made a heck of a buy. Still thinking about the amp or whatever.

Just a quick question about the streamer. How is the Streamer better than plugging something like this

audio1-rca-to-headphone.jpg

from the headphone jack of whatever device into the Aux port on whatever device?

...Just a quick question about the streamer. How is the Streamer better than plugging something like this

audio1-rca-to-headphone.jpg

from the headphone jack of whatever device into the Aux port on whatever device?

I use a Netbook as a music server sometimes. The quality of the audio from the Streamer beats the heck out of what I get out of the headphone jack on the Netbook. HOW they do it is better answered by someone who knows a lot more than me!

You guys are pretty generous!

and to think I was happy with this...

ROFLMAO! My father in law told me to tell Nick that "he can't drink all the beer". I go to thinking about that and realized nobody told me that. Its actually sound advice. :)