Rc7 vs rc62ii vs rc3

JasonJCarney

Which is the better speaker. On it's own merits. Gonna buy 1 so just wondering which is the better speaker.

Taking real wood veneer, larger woofers, larger tweeter, larger horn, in consideration, I would say the RC-7 is the overall better quality speaker. I have owned both the RC-3 and an RC-62(not v.2) and both are tremendous center speakers. I know you expressed "on it's own merit" but application/matching would determine my full opinion on sound quality.

Bill

I have an RC-3 (original) that I have used with my RC-25s and am currently using with my RF-82s. It works great! I would upgrade, but I am currently very satisfied with the sound. If I didn't have a center, but was going to buy a new one to go with my RF-82s or RF-25s, I would be on the lookout for an RC-62 or 62 II. At that price, with those speakers, that is what I would get.

Soon as i hooked up my RC7 it was no contest. Now i kinda wonder if the RF64ll would be a jump up from my RC7?

Charles,

You have a perfectly matching setup[8][Y][8], just get an amp if you must change something.[:P]

Bill

Well the "get this cause matches your fronts" responses is what I was hoping to avoid. That's why I asked about them on it's own merits. Thx for the help though. Just really curious which of those speakers is best on it's own. The talk about the rc64ii being compared to the rc7 makes me real curious about the 7.

Well the "get this cause matches your fronts" responses is what I was hoping to avoid. That's why I asked about them on it's own merits.

Jason,

Keep in mind, the center channel will never be used on it's own, therefore the comments about matching and "synergy". I know you don't(and most here don't either) want another timber matching thread so I will just say again that the RC-7 is a great speaker.

The talk about the rc64ii being compared to the rc7 makes me real curious about the 7.

Does your RC-64ii sound good with the rest of your setup?

Bill

Well the "get this cause matches your fronts" responses is what I was hoping to avoid. That's why I asked about them on it's own merits. Thx for the help though. Just really curious which of those speakers is best on it's own. The talk about the rc64ii being compared to the rc7 makes me real curious about the 7.

Okay on their own merits, get the one that was a flagship center (rc-7), 2nd place goes to the rc-62ii

I can speak to the various center channels. I currently have an RC-3 and an RC-64 II, have had an RC-7 thinking to replace the RC-64 II with this past month but sold it, and have had an RC-64 for a few months last year, and also had a WC-42 for six months prior to going to reference series (not worth mentioning it's attributes here). Surprisingly, I sold my RC-7 after two weeks when it didn't sound nearly as balanced as the RC-3. I was thinking bigger is better regarding the drivers and the 8" horn. I was wrong. Vocals seemed to come from the right side of speaker during movies and music and it was really noticable. I'm thinking this has to do with the 'tapered array' technology. If so, I am not a fan. I bought it on CL and quickly sold it. In addition, I thought I may possibly replace my RC-64II based on all the props the RC-7 has received on this forum and due to the rarity of this speaker's availability online, I felt fortunate to find after several months of looking for one. I swapped out my RC-64 II to watch parts of several movies (Avatar, Batman, Pandorum, Knight and Day) and immediately noted that the sound from the speaker had a 'radio' like quality about it and definition with musical instruments was gone. The RC-64 had tapered array but since it had four woofers I suspect it was why it was more balanced/symmetrical with vocals compared to the RC-7 for which the low crossover point (550hz) on the left 8" woofer was rarely employed during movie vocals. I was glad I did not sell my RC-64 II! The RC-64 II has the lowest crossover point of all the speakers and NO 'taper array' so that all four woofers output all frequencies up to the 1400hz crossover point for the tweeter. This results (IMO) in greater and more balanced output, absolutely beautiful voice and instrument reproduction and transitions, and somehow still seemlessly blends the center stage with my RF-3 II's (1950hz high crossover point). Of all reference center speakers mentioned the RC-3 is the best bang for the buck and strangely enough I was not pleased at all with the RC-7 given the hype, specs, drivers etc.. and given the choice if offered for free my selection order would be : RC-64 II, RC-64, RC-3/II, RC-3. If cost were a factor: RC-3, RC-64, RC- 64II, RC-7 (actually I would not buy it again for ~350-400 and would instead get the new RC-62 II). Perhaps I was already spoiled having had the RC-64 or RC-64 II over the past 6 months. With all this, everyone's ears and sound perceptions are different and so other's may have differences in opinion. What I did was make certain that I tried all of the on par contendars in the Klipsch reference series released over the past 10 years and it lead me to the right choice for me. Fortunately I was able to turn over some of the speakers I didn't like on CL and didn't take a big hit and basically broke even money wise as I bought low enough initially. If I were to sell the RC-64 II I would likely take a hit but I wouldn't do that now as it's a keeper for years to come :)

CopperCone, that's odd. I had an RC-3 for years and replaced it with an RC-7 the difference was night and day. The RC-7 matched and balanced flawlessly with my RF-5's. I don't think I have ever heard a more well balanced and matched set of front and center speakers. Timbre is perfect between the 3 speakers and they blend perfectly, voices seem to come from the actors mouths and all effects seem perfectly placed.

I think there were other problems causing your poor experience, either a bad speaker, room conditions/placement or something along those lines.

Could be that perhaps the RF-3 II's didn't match up correctly. I just know the RC-64 II's, which are really supposed to match up with the new RF-7 II's, sounded the best of all center channels mentioned with the RF-3's. Speaking of RF-5's, I found some on CL for $400 in Cherry and was considering purchasing to replace my RF-3 II's. Yet I'm concerned that the high crossover point is at 2500hz vs the 1950hz of the RF-3's and wouldn't sound as good with the RC-64 II due to lack of warmth. Any thoughts on that? Also, the RF-5 has the same exact woofers as the RF-3's. I called Klipsch this week to see about a replacement woofer for the RF-5 on CL which has one dented cone (common an unfortunate issue with used reference series speakers in general). The Klipsch rep said they had 70 in stock. I then asked if he had any RF-3 8" woofers in stock. He said they are the same part # as the RF-5's. To me that means the RF-5 would offer no sonic advantage over the RF-3 which has very similar specs, same woofers, nearly the same cabinet (larger port and slightly larger RF-5 cabinet for slightly deeper bass response) but with a bigger horn. The bigger horn and same 1" tweeter with much higher crossover point may sound a bit harsh to me as well so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not sure why Klipsch chose to change the crossover point on RF-5's and decrease the 'warmth' compared to the same generation RF-7's (2100hz)?