Cornscala build and Klipsch Tradmark and copyright!

Arash

Hi there

I have a pair of 1978 Original LS which I've rebuilt the cabinets and there is no problem with it

But I'm about to build my Cornscala and I was worry about the Klipsch Copyright... I think there wouldn't be any matter because:

1- tweets are Ct125 (Bob)

2- mid-ranges are D-20X (Bob)

3- Woofers are CW1526 (Bob)

4- networks are made by Bob

5- Horns are not Klipsch

6- Cabinets are made of MDF

there is nothing to do with Klipsch But the first plan of Cornscala which comes from Cornwall belongs to Klipsch ... so I wanted to know if I sould take permission from klipsch or pay something ($) for it that I can build this speaker

What's the situation?

Me? I'm very "conservative" in my rebuild/ update/ modifications. I have rebuilt numerous Heresy-I's both for myself and for friends and for some members of the Forum. Including complete cabinet replacement with remmovable motor-board, CW-1228 woofer, D250x mid, CT-125 tweeter, E/4500 crossover. I refer to them as Heresy "eXtremes" (LOL!!), but I never, ever just "make" a pair of Heresy's. However... I abide by a very important "rule"... Unless either the friend, forum member or I have an old pair of Heresy-I's, and in particular, the cabinets with valid serial numbers, I won't do it. In the end, regardless of whatever I have done, it's still a Heresy-I, serial number "12X345 whatever". Self imposed "rule", but I never want anyone to think that I am "making Klipsch speakers". I certainly have enough parts (drivers, horns, caps and wood, etc..) to make a boatload of Heresy's, but unless I have an old crappy pair of cabinets, which I call "orphans", with serial numbers, etc., I will never "rebuild" a pair; not even "just for personal use".

That being said, the Cornscala is different. It's no longer a Cornwall or a LaScala. It's generally completely different

Given that except for the dimensions of the cabinet, it would seem that all of the "technology" you are using is not Klipsch. Notwithstanding the name "Cornscala", while obviously a contraction of those two Klipsch speakers, it would seem that the Cornscala is more of a tribute to Klipsch, rather than a "copy", or a "counterfeit", etc. To be sure however, given your concern, and that it is a very interesting question, I would check with Klipsch. Send Amy Unger an email and I'm sure she can get back to you with an answer regarding their official "position" vis a vis the Cornscala.

[H]

Arash-

Your concern is admirable. If you were making and selling speakers, then trademark and copyright issues could apply. Although I'm not an intellectual property attorney, IMHO, for your personal use, copyright/trademark laws don't apply.

As a practical matter, under any legal interpretation, it would be commercially impractical and legally problematic for any legal entity to commence litigation that could reach you in Iran.

If you'll sleep better, always refer to your speakers as inspired by the appropriate Klipsch models. You'll want the well deserved credit for your efforts regarding reconstruction and modifications.

DISCLAIMER: Free advice is often worth no more than what you paid for it.

Klipsch never made a cornscala. It'a a hypothetical speaker with many variations. No single "set in stone" version really exists. Everyone makes them differently and uses different parts. Most recently just about every pair I see now avoids use of the K400/401, which makes the "scala" portion of the name irrelevant.

They should be called "The cornwall is no good for me & I now found a horn and driver I like better than what the lascala has".

EDIT: What the Irishman said.

You are assembling an assortment of parts into an enclosure approximating the Klipsch Cornwall. If for your own personal use, no issue there. But the Klipsch brand is a very treasured asset of the company for sure and use of it on, or in reference to, your own designs would be a trademark problem. In my DIY projects I am very clear to not use brand names even in a liberal sense. I rehabed my Heresys with all the original parts and no change to the specs. I still call this a Klipsch Heresy. I have the drivers of the Forte gathered from several sources and used in my own enclosure. Here I am careful not to call it a Forte or Klipsch. I think the use of 'Cornscala' in this DIY context is different in the sense it is not a real Klipsch product and used by many as a template for a DIY project. Going to eBay and advertising your Cornscala project as a "Klipsch" though would definitely cross a line.

What do you all think of using the term 'clone' for copies of Klipsch speakers? Such as a 'LaScala Clone'. Not a 'Klipsch La Scala Clone'. Or would it be better to use the Klipsch name with clone to give them some credit? Methinks this is a very fuzzy area.

Rod

Just my opinion, but I don't think it is right for anyone building a DIY speaker of ANY kind.............even an exact Klipsch speaker based on plans..........to use the name Klipsch in any way. If it is not a Klipsch made product, then the Klispch name should not be on it.

I made this same comment in the PRO forum last night. A fine forum member with great wood working skills built some MWM bass cabinets and prominently put KLIPSCH on it. I don't think he ought to have done that. It is his work, not Klipsch, and it is not a Klipsch product.

Again, just my 2 cents.

By the way, I am ALL FOR DIY projects for home use or experimental or proof of concept purposes. I wish I had those type of building skills and tools.

I think saying the word "Clone" implies that it is not an original factory speaker; but a copy (or variation in the case of CornScala).

So to me; saying "Klipsch (insert speaker type) clone" , or "Copy based on Klipsch (Insert speaker type) design" is sufficient for resale purposes.

If you are opening a speaker factory; then these issues would become obvious.

(These are not top secret speakers; but revered and admired for 50 years plus).

For home use only (never to be sold) I think it is even less important.

+1 on the Klipsch badges on a non Klipsch built product; but to each his own........

As mentioned; I am not a lawyer and do not play one on tv.

Ironsave said:

"+1 on the Klipsch badges on a non Klipsch built product"

Wilted Flower

To be 100% clear; I meant that I disagree with putting a Klipsch badge on something that is not a Klipsch speaker.

(Some of the Cornscalas and bass bins I have seen here are amazing. They just were not made in Hope).

I also said "to each his own".

I am not here to judge anybody....... [8]

Hey cool, no problem. I misunderstood what you were saying. I beleive we are in agreement, and I am no judge either. Just giving an opinion.

Some people put Harley Davidson stickers on their scooters. Like you said, to each his own.

Hey cool, no problem. I misunderstood what you were saying. I beleive we are in agreement, and I am no judge either. Just giving an opinion.

Some people put Harley Davidson stickers on their scooters. Like you said, to each his own.

I am glad we are in agreement. [:D] (I could have worded my original statement better).....