Listening to normal TV/cable over your RF7ii's?

Beechnut

Quick answer, yes. When I got my first stereo VCR, I was very tickled as now I could listen in stereo. I think this was in the early 90's. I was using LaScalas.

A number of years later, I got my Khorns and replacing the speakers had zero effect on what I listened to or how.
A number of years later, I got the Jubilee's and again, replacing the speakers had zero effect on what I listened to or how.

Today, a single day won't pass where I have the system turned on, even if it's to listen to the evening news or a weather broadcast. I use it for everything. In fact, when I was out shopping for a new TV, I was making some (though small I must admit) effort to find a tv that had zero speakers.

I wanted a monitor only since I didn't use the onboard sound. Today I think that was a mistake. Now, if I'm listening to something at 8:00 I don't mind if it has some guts to the sound. If however, it's 12:30 AM, I'll turn the system off and use the sound from the tv. I now appreciate the wisdom of those little built in 1" speakers.

I too have no idea what my TV speakers sound like.

I do know that RTV (Retro channel), though I love a lot their programming, sounds absolutely awful, commercials even worse. Maybe planned that way because most of their viewers still have consoles and Beltones I don’t know!

And local digital PBS channels have an annoying few milliseconds of audio signal drop or data noise every 15 minutes or so. Some TV, even if it is Dolby digital, sounds better in pure stereo to me.

update from my earlier post : i bought a 24" led rca tv from sears for the kitchen and the sound was so bad i returned it the same day. so now before i buy a small tv i have to hear it before buying it. replaced it with a 22 led samsung. sound is great

Was slightly concerned that the speakers would highlight the audio from tv in a way that would be disappointing. This will be my first time going with high end floor standers. It'll all be tied into the living room and replace my main listening speakers.

So I'm guessing if you're listening to TV programing over Jubilees...I should be good to go. :)

So I'm guessing if you're listening to TV programing over Jubilees...I should be good to go

You're good to go

[Y]

Sitting as I type.... system playing on the other side of the room. Listening to John Stossel

Later, might throw in a CD or concert DVD, it's all good.

I always use my system and haven't used TV speakers in at least 18 years. My current plasma display has no built-in speakers and I prefer it that way. I don't understand why anyone would ever want to use their TV's speakers if they have a nice system. Everything sounds so much better through the system.

I get cable thru the wall with no cable box, so i only get stereo sound. So it just sound ok with my RF7's

If you have an optical output on your tv you could run that

to your avr. Then on hd channels you will get dolby 5.1 on your local hd

channels.

Not on most TV's. The majority of TV's with an optical output will still only output stereo...

So if I only have HDMI cables from my AVR to my TV and cable box, I'm not going to get true 5.1 unless I also have an optical cable too?

To get 5.1 surround from a cable box you can have it set up one of two ways:

HDMI from Cable box to AVR, and then another HDMI from AVR to TV

- OR -

HDMI from Cable box to TV, Optical from Cable box to AVR.

If you're running HDMI to everything, then you don't need an optical cable at all.

It seems to me the question is whether broadcast TV or cable gives good results with RF7 (or other good speakers). The answer is very much, yes.

The original NTSC standard included FM type modulation. PWK sold a variation of his Shorthorn or Rebel to serve as a support for a TV. IIRC people were impressed with the results. Of course that just showed the use of good material, good microphones, recording devices (?), transmission, and home audio equipment.

TV and FM radio came on line at about the same time. It is interesting that in the early days there were no video recorders and thus live video and audio had the best audio.

My own experience with good TV audio was in about 1982. I had some home built Wolverine speakers which were a poor man's Cornwall. I also had a Trinitron with a stereo decoder. A local UHF channel had the new stereo channel working. The only video broadcast with stereo was a half hour long Batman cartoon. The writing was dark and quoted from George Santayana. The stereo audio was wonderful -- at least compared to regular programming on the dinky TV speakers.

Today. I have cheapo analog cable. Much of the results depends on the source material. It is not up to digital with a subwoofer. But it is worth having good speakers.

WMcD