What happens when a train does a burnout

Jay481985

Apparently its pretty well know phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_wheelslip

An extreme case of wheelslip occurred years ago on a heavy train that entered an uphill tunnel. The wheelslip increased until the train came to a stop with the wheels still spinning.

Due to being in the tunnel, the engineer was unaware that he wasn't moving. He nearly fell out of his seat when he looked out the side window to see another railroader standing there, asking him what the problem was.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 50-50 on this one---Photoshop or real? Too many laws of physics here to contemplate.

JJK

Not really, Mike (aka dr who) nailed it square on the head on his very first try.

But I did enjoy and get a good chuckle on the "Alerter" claim.... that was a good one.

It is not photoshopped. Gilbert you are wrong.

Apparently its pretty well know phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_wheelslip

An extreme case of wheelslip occurred years ago on a heavy train that entered an uphill tunnel. The wheelslip increased until the train came to a stop with the wheels still spinning.

Due to being in the tunnel, the engineer was unaware that he wasn't moving. He nearly fell out of his seat when he looked out the side window to see another railroader standing there, asking him what the problem was.

Did it dig divots into the rail?

I've been researching this and haven't come across anyone that has actually see this happen with their own eyes. All the people I know that work on the railroad always claim it is feasible, but have never seen it.

One thing in favor of the first set of photos is how natural the ground looks where there would have been a rail if it was photoshopped.

Did it dig divots into the rail?

I've been researching this and haven't come across anyone that has actually see this happen with their own eyes. All the people I know that work on the railroad always claim it is feasible, but have never seen it.

Actually, the story about the train stopping in the tunnel was something I heard a number of times when I worked on the railway, but never with any specific location or even year, so I wouldn't put money on it. However, one time when I was in a switcher engine, a smaller unit with about 1300 hp, used for moving locomotives around the yard, I decided to see if I could spin up the wheels. I was a mechanic, not a driver, so I was doing some inspection or test at the time.

Those models were older and didn't have traction control. They did have a wheel slip light on the control panel. It was a normal-looking household-type 60-watt bulb, but it would be 64 volt, since that's what most loco electrical systems use.

Those switchers were so prone to wheel slip that the hoggers and hostlers (as drivers who operate locos between yards and in yards are called. Engineers are the ones who drive on the main lines and drive trains, not just individual loco or sets of locos.) would jam paper towel around the bulb, because it flashed in their eyes so often.

I just throttled it up with the brakes on and the locomotive started hopping a bit as the wheels spun with the brakes on and the wheel slip light flashed. I stopped after a few seconds, before anything got damaged, but it was more cool than doing a burnout with a muscle car, as far as I was concerned.

In any case, seeing is believing, so here are some wheelslip videos.

You can see the sanders working to improve the traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2uc4wNOVkW0

This one has a technical explanation of "Creep Control". The wheel slip starts at around 2 minutes in:

No two gall welded burnout sections are identical, and both the spallated debris field and remaining track are colorized to a point similar to the burnouts I have seen in the railyards in East St. Louis, and at work by the airport. I work every day with Norfolk Southern and Burlington Northern Santa Fe RR engineers, and they say it is not common, but increasing, as they transit to more computer/remote controlled locomotives.

This is an example of a good photoshopped engineering phenomina...

Posted Image

This is the true photo...

Posted Image

• Moderators

For dtel.... the one in the middle looks exactly like SWMBO!!! Yes

You know I went back and looked again and it DOES look like Mrs GLA ! [:o] You need to show her that , see what she says, it's can't hurt, ok maby it could but show her anyway. [:D]

• Moderators

It would be very smart of you to NEVER buy her any cast iron pans, for your own health, or learn to run much faster and sleep with one eye open.

I don't see what she got mad about, unless you were staring at the first girls...............necklace, to much ?