Chorus II for $100

Now I have to figure out the smell, but it is only along the bottom of one, about a quarter inch where they got soaked (probably sat on carpet). Seemed still wet.

I think the enzyme stuff is a great idea. At worst I was thinking about replacing the bottom wood on that one. It seems the "base" is not the same piece of wood as the rest of the cabinet. Maybe getting some nice real oak and making a new base? clearly that would not be original, but since I just want to listent to them, it would not matter.

The only other problem is a small tear on the back of the passive radiator. I figured it could be taken out and maybe glue in a piece of paper on the back? I have not yet searched for fixes on this.

Lou,

A big welcome! Yes, try the enzyme stuff first. You can always make new bases.

The passive can be easily fixed. You canpatch with some tissue paper (like cigarette papers... ZigZag would work), and some Weldbond (you can get at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, TrueValue...). Dilute some with water, maybe 50-50, and brush on. It dries clear and flexible, works great. put on a few coats. Works great on old foam surrounds as well.

If you decide you don't want them, I'll pay double andcome over and pick them up. [:|]

Bruce

I have been putting them to the test--Miles and Mahler to test out the horns, some John Dowland to see how they sound with delicate nuanced music. So far this is unbelievable. I had never heard anything better than KG2 before.

I repaired the tear on the radiator yesterday. So today I am going to push the bass with some electronic stuff. Deadmou5 has some seriously deep grooves. And yes, I will play it loud...

Thanks for all the advice--you all are an excellent group of people.

PS Bruce: thanks for the suggestion on the repair--and no, I don't think I am selling them : )

PS Bruce: thanks for the suggestion on the repair--and no, I don't think I am selling them : )

I knew you wouldn't want to sell them once you got the things working. The Chorus IIs are GREAT speakers.

btw, I had some Sibelius playing on the La Scalas, this a.m. THe detail that comes through the horns is pretty amazing. Mahler is pretty thick and intense, but also shines on the horns.

Enjoy those speakers! That's what it's all about.

Bruce

Chori = large? LOL[:|] Take a look at a pair of CW or Khorns!

DM5 should sound great on them! Nice score even if the wife does make you sleep with them for a few days [;)]

Your story reminded me of when I brought home my first pair of Fort'e speakers. I had them in the back seat of my Plymouth Neon (they are about 3 inches smaller in all directions than your Chorus) and I had parked on the street, waiting for my wife to go to Choir practice so I could bring them into the house.

The wife was late in leaving (a good thing as it turns out) and no sooner had she got to the street, a drunken neighbor, slammed his pickup truck into my parked Neon, pushing it sideways through a chain link fence and backwards about twenty feet. Had my wife left on time, she just may had been in the way of the drunk and the results would have been much worse that a wiped out car. OH btw, the Fort'e speakers came through with only a few knicks in the black paint and they are still making sweet music and are in service every day in my TV room.

Hard to believe it has been just one week--here we are, and the Chorus's are nice and clean (no smell), new Crites titanium tweeters and Sonicaps are in, and the wife is happy (although she can't understand why I spent more on tweeters and caps than on the speakers themselves...)

thanks for the input, advice, stories, and overall support.

You know, sometimes we feel bad about getting a steal form someone, but this guy deserved it. I asked on the phone if there was anything wrong and he totally lied about the condition, made me drive all the way out there etc. If he had been honest I still would have done it, but that's just not the right way to behave.

He probably thought the damage was to the cabinet, when it was merely to the base. For all I know he thinks I am the one who got the short end of the stick.

As you said, he could have sold the parts for a few hundred bucks easily. Glad I could rescue the pair... now they are in good hands and away from his nasty dog.

A lot of people sell them without the riser I have seen on Ebay. I assume for similar circumstances... they got chewed up or broke or some other hazard to the carpeting. Once removed they are like new again. You got the good part of them and you should be real happy with them even if you left them as is.

After having mine 20 years they are still as valuable to me as they were new. Anyone letting them go for 100 probably didnt buy them new in the first place and wouldnt appreciate the investment. For me it was the grand finale of a long hard choice between a huge studio of new speakers to choose from in the Audio Visual store in Frankfort Germany. I tested many speakers with many amplifier systems and these Chorus II were the ultimate creme of the crop in thier day.

Enjoy!