New Jubs on the Block

RRFL

I know I should not be tempted to start JubScalaing and get the house finished but what frequency would you suggest to cross over the K33 in the LaScala with the K69 in the 402. what is the highest usable frequency from the LaScala basshorn

I don't think the brand of crossover matters... here is the file used for the JubeScala

DX-38 settings for LaScala (1 or 2) LF with K402 & K69.pdf

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

You say 20 steps on the stairs, but until you see them you don't realize how far that is. [:P]

Maby lay a long blanket down and lean the box on it, the top person can pull the blanket up walking backwards to help a little as you push from the bottom ?

The JubScala uses a crossover point around 480Hz. The figures in the recommended settings may seem a little odd, but that's because Roy found that you sometimes have to put the electronic crossover setting at a point that seems a little away from expected, in order to get the desired acoustic crossover setting, which is affected by the horns and other factors.

It's a bit like using trim on an airplane or boat in order to get it to fly or plane correctly.

Thanks Guys I very much appreciate all your comments and recommendations. Im considering for the future a pair of 409s with K69 for my Heresy and 402s with TAD 4002s or TAD 4003s for my LaScala. Then I can swap the hfs between the Jubs and the LaScala without using spanners.

Yesterday the Jubs arrived and I got a highly respected Piano Removalist to collect them from the Distributor and professionally carry them up my stairs. All went very well.

This is a current picture of my Jubs with the G-No guardian at the back of the room they will be in when its finished. Today a friend and I inspected both ends of the Jubs for shipping damage. They stayed in the boxes, we inverted then to look at the bases.

post-45280-13819661680794_thumb.jpg

Yesterday as soon as the Piano Removalists had left and after I showed them the photo of what was in the boxes, I opened the boxes first S/N:PTJUBLF11300004 and it was hard to contain myself. I was to excited touching the top and admiring the beautiful timber. They are sculptures. Its a shame the 402 is not transparent.

post-45280-13819661691464_thumb.jpg

But then I was devastated I opened S/N-PTJUBLF11300003 and it has had an extreme fall face down crushing the edge of the top plate just where the left horn mouth meets the centre panel and last night I could not sleep at all. I have to go and mix a ballroom dance band tonight and will need lots of coffee to stay awake.

I am so sad.

post-45280-13819661702374_thumb.jpg

But then I was devastated I opened S/N-PTJUBLF11300003 and it has had an extreme fall face down crushing the edge of the top plate just where the left horn mouth meets the centre panel and last night I could not sleep at all. I have to go and mix a ballroom dance band tonight and will need lots of coffee to stay awake.

I am so sad.

Sorry for your loss! There may be a brightside? After your insurance claim you might end up with a spare jubilee. I doubt the insurance company would want to move it. If you so choose,sell it,you might be giving someone one of the best mono speakers on the continent! Good luck!

Ouch! That's not fun at all. Did that happen during shipping, or while you were trying to open the boxes?

This happened during shipping and the plastic cling wrap around the carton hid the wrinkle in the corner of the cardboard carton each time the cartons were inspected for damage. The Cinema Dealer are looking into resolution for me. I have send them many photos.

I replaced the standard delivery with a leading Piano Removal Company for the last 27kilometers from the Dealer to my house and up my stairs so nothing would happen to them.

The room they are now in and temporarily, stored under the stairs is the room where I intend they will remain forever.

The acoustic engineer will likely come next week for planning the room treatments as the plywood ceilings and wall coverings are yet to be designed and ordered. As are treatments between the steel floor joists above to remove their resonance and between the rendered brick walls and the plywood can be sorted. The stair landing in the photo and lower section will be removed and replaced with a 90% 3 stair corner with 2 straight stairs to the floor and the lounge will be set say 3 feet in front of the stairs. This will provide about 14 feet from the centre of the wall the jubs will be on and this wall is 13ft 9inches across. I will get some massive canvas paintings for the side walls "maybe paint them myself with the rate I'm spending the money" and placed room treatments inside the frames, I could attach them to the front of the house overnight and see if they get some street art. I'm considering LED strip lighting forming a horizontal pelmet between the traditional Victorian terrace cornice and the ceiling.

My intention is to remove the room from the room, Thank you all for your comments and consideration, my thought's are going off the scale with what has happened. They have 3 braces in the horn mouths. I don't want to part with number 3, they are twins 3 & 4 their amplifiers are also twins 24262 & 24263. I know they are speakers! Most likely an expert in fine furniture restoration will be my solution. Number 3 is shown in the left of the original photo at the start of this thread. That's it I choose fine furniture restoration.

post-45280-13819661734544_thumb.jpg

Yesterday as soon as the Piano Removalists had left and after I showed them the photo of what was in the boxes, I opened the boxes first S/N:PTJUBLF11300004 and it was hard to contain myself. I was to excited touching the top and admiring the beautiful timber. They are sculptures. It’s a shame the 402 is not transparent.

I've sorry to hear about the damage to your bass unit. I hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction.

As for the transparent K402, that idea had also occurred to me. It would make the horn less imposing-looking, which is sometimes a good thing, and should sound equally good.

Rod, check your inbox for a private message (PM) about JubScalas.

Thank-you very much for all that information the detail is excellent and very much appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and best wishes for Jub No:3.

I have attached another photo of the damage.

It might be it was stacked on the 402's which were plastic wrapped together and since the 402's do not fill the entire box the jub on top could fall. I noticed this was how they were stacked at the Cinema dealer and pointed this out the the warehouse manager and then took the 402's home. He use a forklift to take the jub off the top of the 402's. For me, I would not stack heavy items on top of relatively light items. the combined weight of the 402's is 66% of the single jub.

post-45280-13819661834064_thumb.jpg

Get a rope.

Your right

Hate to see that happen, it's really a wonder things ship as well as they do considering everything they go through.

I went for a long walk today along the coast from Clovelly to Bondi and back 4 hours and it was dark when I got back to the car.

Here is a photo of my (1976) LaScala fully Jub-d out and with G-No, gardian who wants to use the rope [li] or something else.

I got 2 pairs of new jeans on Saturday from G-Star Raw since they are the only company, I know who make them with 36inch legs which I need and they gave me G-No, this years "collectors" edition Rino. Sic 'em G-No

My LaScala are Tuscan Yellow satin sealed and back in the 70's looked awesome on stage as FOH. People remarked on how those little yellow speakers blew away all the big black ones. They become smaller in yellow and match well with the timber floor.

I think I will do my Jubs to match and also refinish my sisters plywood Heresy which I'm going to use as my rear surrounds since she has downsized my brother-in-laws audio. He can hardly wait to hear my jubs.

post-45280-13819661844164_thumb.jpg

Hate to see one of those beautiful Jubs damaged..!

Just a FYI, maybe you have some form of protection between the LaScala top and the K402 bases otherwise you might want to double check those K402 bases for any screws that might be protruding past the Felt Spacers on the bottom of the bases which could scratch the top of the LaScalas.

Depending on your setup you might want to try another option of turning the LaScala on it's side with the K402 on top which would be bennificial in suppressing some of the side wall resonances that exist in this LaScala design.

Enjoying the pictures and post of your Jub adventures..[Y][:D]

mike tn