PWK and fitness

As most of you know by now, I worked as a speaker builder at Klipsch from 1976-1983.

When I first started working at Klipsch, about 15 minutes BEFORE the "Lunch Buzzer" went off, another buzzer would go off. When this other buzzer would sound, SOME of the employees would leave their work stations, go outside, and disappear...all heading in the same direction. Before the actual lunch buzzer sounded, though, most of them were already back and eating lunch. After a few days of watching this, I asked what they were doing.

It seems that back in the 1960's, PWK had found out he had some lung problems and had to have surgery for them. From that time forward, he began paying very close attention to his health and fitness. He was against smoking, and would tell employees he saw with a cigarette, that "You really should try to get rid of that bad habit." Nothing more. He also was an avid swimmer, since he saw how "complete a form of excercise" it was.

With the health of his employees in mind, and realizing many of them did not get enough good vascular excercise, he had instituted a strictly voluntary program where any employee who wished to do so, could take off 15 minutes early at lunch and either run, jog, or briskly walk a pre-determined one-mile course. This would remain part of the employee's "on-the-clock" time and allowed for a cool down period for the employee after the excercise before eating lunch.

The fact that he actually would pay the hourly wage to an employee for 15 minutes of the employee's time so that the employee would get some cardiovascular excercise that, at the most, took 8 minutes to accomplish, always amazed me. I have never seen this before or since in any civilian job I have had.

Although, periodically, in the seven years I worked there, the "number-crunchers" attempted to do away with this policy, it was still in place when I left, due to its intended REMOVAL from the company policy being soundly vetoed by PWK, himself!!!

PWK was a tall, lean, and well-muscled man back then. He had a well-weathered look about him, and an imposing demeaner. Just the way he looked commanded respect! With his deep voice, it only added to this demeaner...but underneath all of this was a very kind man concerned for the benefit of those who worked for him.

Even though PWK was in his very late 7th decade of life, when I worked there, his attention to his health and fitness were such that he took great pride in them. For a man his age, he was astonishingly fit, and limber!!

On occassion, he would punctuate how limber he was while walking the sidewalks in downtown Hope. As he would walk along, whenever he encountered a parking meter, he would ease over toward it, and swing his leg completely over it, almost in the manner of a hurdler, as he walked past it...doing this to every parking meter he encountered on his stroll. Whenever this occurred, whoever was walking with him was very much impressed, as were the townfolk of Hope! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a very strict program which I adhere to.

No pain, no pain.cwm35.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 05-01-2002 at 08:37 PM

you should compile all your stories and make a second biography of sorts, PWK... The Man

I play tennis and ride my bike after school every day.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Speaking of that pool, another story comes to mind:

Back when I worked there, there was normally a "slow period" that occurred in early summer, when there were not enough orders coming in for speakers to require the plant to operate at full-load. Once the area in the plant for storage of packed speakers filled-up, generally, a "temporary voluntary lay-off" was put into effect. The most senior employees were given the first opportunity to be selected for this lay-off...and then on down the line. Many of the senior employees had to be there in any case, so it generally boiled down to anybody wanting to do so was given the opportunity to take a little "unemployment insurance-paid break."

Although many took this break, there were always some who didn't. These employees would work in the plant where something needed doing, but sometimes they would be doing yardwork and such outside...something to keep them busy. On occassion, during these periods, employees would be sent into town to do yardwork at PWK's home. Whenever word went out that some of the employees would be going there, most of them began saying..."ME!, ME!"...because it was a much more enjoyable atmosphere there than at the plant.

On one occassion, Gwin Cox(whose signature ,many of you will find on your speaker labels as "inspected by"), and a few others were sent to PWK's home in the early afternoon to "do a few things around the house" there.

Gwin had been there before, and when Miss Valerie, came to the door, Gwin told her that PWK had called out to the plant that morning and said he needed a few folks to do some things there. Miss Valerie told Gwin that PWK was out back by the pool, and she would take them on back. Gwin said she knew the way and that it wasn't necessary for Miss Valerie to do so if she was busy...so Gwin led the small group through house toward the pool.

As Gwin got to the back door and opened it, she looked out and saw that PWK had just gotten out of the pool, BUT she also noticed that, shall we say,..."PWK wasn't as attired as completely as one would normally expect to see when a man is swimming"...LOL!

Gwin backed up and started to walk back into the house, as PWK yelled out: "Oh, don't mind me, I always swim this way! I find swimming trunks too confining! As a matter of fact, since it is so hot out today, if any of you want to jump in the pool to cool off a bit, then feel free to do so!"

Well, Gwin looked at the others, then back at PWK, and said "I would sure like a swim, but none of us have swimsuits."

PWK hollered back: "Well, you can jump in IN your clothes, or WITHOUT them...it won't bother me if it doesn't bother you!....OR...you can look in that chest of drawers in there and grab a clean swimsuit...lots of them in there in all sizes...bound to be enough for all of you there."

Well, they looked in that chest, grabbed swimsuits, changed into them, and joined PWK in the pool for a bit, until he got out, saying "Stay in there and cool down some, I'll tell you when it is time to get out and get to work! It's too hot out right now anyway!" He never did come back to get them until it approached quitting time and they headed back out to the plant to clock out!!

Gwin, when relating this tale, used to say: "Now I know why Paul has such a tall privacy fence in his back yard!" Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

My daily routine includes driving at 100MPH at least once a day. I usually can't, thoughFrown.gif...

Is PWK still doing anything with Klipsch (besides the fact he started the company!) as far as business goes? How do you think FredWK will do once the "God" of Klipsch passes? Does he have the same values that PWK has?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Great story HDBR! I can certainly understand the tall fence now. Did PWK ever bring you a beer on the train around the fence? I would have loved to see that train in action. You are quite lucky to have worked there at the time you did. Smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

Too bad few Senior Executives today embrace PWK's management philosophy & style. We all would certainly been better off if they did. Another good one!

The company my father works for has a terrific president. he talks to everyone, know the peoples names, remembers what is going on in their life, and is an overall great guy. He started out writing the legal documents and now controls the largest natural gas transportation company in the world. Puts 'moving on up' to a whole new level.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I believe PWK is still working on development of the Jubilee...

Tell me more about the Jubilee, is it cool? Is it the BIG speaker that Klipsch scrapped a while back, or is it the new reference one?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

The Jubilee is going into production as I write this. Development of it was finished a few months ago. Pic of it has been on the Klipsch site under theater speakers for awhile now. There is also to be a more decorative home version of it.

PWK had his 98th birthday back in early March. He did most of his development of the Jubilee from a wheelchair. He is just as sharp today as he ever has been, still retaining his wit and dry, but sharp humor. At this particular moment though, he is gravely ill with pneumonia. Let's all take a moment from our too-busy schedules and pray Mr. Paul overcomes this illness soon and can return home to his loving wife, Mrs. Valerie, and continue coming up with ideas to improve sound reproduction.

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-03-2002 at 06:15 PM

My understanding of the Jubilee in question is that it is to be a 2-way, horn-loaded design about the size of a K-Horn, but without the requirement to be placed in a corner. I think there might even be pictures of the prototype in the new PWK biography. I understand the squawker horn is to be carved from a single piece of wood!!

It will be expensive!

Doug

------------------

My System

Try to keep us posted. I'm sorry Mr. Paul is not doing well.

John

Mr. Paul, and the Klipsch Fans Tour at the factory. Look at that smile! We're listening to the Jubilees.

Yab3_022.jpg

This message has been edited by John Albright on 05-03-2002 at 07:11 PM

quote:

Originally posted by HDBRbuilder:

At this particular moment though, he is gravely ill with pneumonia. Let's all take a moment from our too-busy schedules and pray Mr. Paul overcomes this illness soon and can return home to his loving wife....

So Mote It Be!

"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Does anybody have any pics of the Jubilee? I've never been able to see it, I'm curious what it looks like.

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

Jon,

Click on "products", then click on "commercial audio", then click on "theater/cinema", then scroll down to KPT-Jubilee...this is professional theater version...a pretty version wil be available for home use.

------------------