Best Crossover Replacement for my La Scalas?

soleful247

I am looking into replacing my original TYPE AL crossovers on my La Scalas.

I was wondering which to get, the TYPE A, TYPE AA, or TYPE AL 3 from Crites

Also, a few friends have strongly suggested in buying the TYPE A 4500hz with the CT125 tweeters from Crites.

Anyone use these in their la scalas? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest David H

Anything will be an improvement on the AL crossovers, I prefer the ALK universal in Lascala's.

The A-4500 with the CT-125's is a very popular option.

Dave

I am looking into replacing my original TYPE AL crossovers on my La Scalas.

I was wondering which to get, the TYPE A, TYPE AA, or TYPE AL 3 from Crites

Also, a few friends have strongly suggested in buying the TYPE A 4500hz with the CT125 tweeters from Crites.

Anyone use these in their la scalas? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I'll second the ALK Universals or the ALK Jrs. a big difference if you like your music on the louder side if not the basic type A is excellent. Bob Crites has a large selection of stock Klipsch crossovers and some modified ones .

I don't have any ALK's in any of mine. The best sounding Xover I use is the AL-3. They are better than the AA's IMO. speakerfritz was accumulating AL xovers a while back. Perhaps he will help you out of them.

The AL-3 crossover has a steeper slope that the A, AA crossovers, and is really one of the better Klipsch models. It is the opinion of some (I'm in this group) that for lower listening levels, the gentle slope crossovers sound better. Higher level the steep to extreme slope crossovers are better.

Crossovers like the ALKs, DHAs, are more of a constant impedance, which is more tube friendly, as you don't have the large impedance swings presented to the amp as you would with the other types.

Bruce

I have done the A/4500 and BEC tweeter route for both my k-horns and La Scala speakers and been very pleased. The best part was that I have been able to sell the old crossovers and tweeters for almost the cost of the upgrade. There are a lot of good mods for these speakers but this one is a good bang for the buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything will be an improvement on the AL crossovers, I prefer the ALK universal in Lascala's.

The A-4500 with the CT-125's is a very popular option.

Dave

+1 Al's universal crossovers sound great in La Scala's. I use them in mine. I also use Bob's tweeters and it is like these networks and tweeters were made for each other. I think next up at some poitn will be to replace my Altec 511b's with Fastrac's.

I swapped out my AL's with speakerfritz for AA's. The AA's now have polycarbonate and metallic film bypasses. I could really appreciate the polycarbonate, but adding the metal film did nothing for me. In all, it is now smoother than it was with the AL's even up to any sane volume level.

This past weekend I had been experimenting and listening to the type A (I've also done 4,500, 4000, and 3,500 Hz versions of that) and one of my own based on the recommended crossover point (and slope) of Bob's tweeter manufacturer. Both were very good, although I prefer the tweeter on its own capacitor rather than in series after the input-to-autoformer cap). As a quick experiment (my networks are installed outside the cabinets to make changes easier), I tried the infamous AL that came with the La Scalas. With a one or two watt amp, the AL was very unsatisfactory. It sounded completely lifeless, detached, etc. Disconnecting the very low power OTL amp I'd been using and replacing with with a 100+watt vintage Hafler power amp, which in the right situation can be an exceeding good sounding amp, completely changed the tonal characteristics of the presentation via the evidently otherwise terrible AL. I like to keep in mind that individuals with rather exceptional qualifications designed the AL network and made it available to the public for a reason: That perhaps being that it had potential to sound startling good in the right circumstance. With the high power amplifier, that crossover shined wonderfully. Seriously. With all other SET and OTL amps I own, except for the direct-coupled 300B monoblocks I made last year, the La Scalas were not at all happy with such a mass of inductors, caps, and other shunt components that reside in the AL. With the right amp, the AL can be, IME, very balanced and image remarkably well. The subjectivity of all of this can't be overstated.

This past weekend I had been experimenting and listening to the type A (I've also done 4,500, 4000, and 3,500 Hz versions of that) and one of my own based on the recommended crossover point (and slope) of Bob's tweeter manufacturer. Both were very good, although I prefer the tweeter on its own capacitor rather than in series after the input-to-autoformer cap). As a quick experiment (my networks are installed outside the cabinets to make changes easier), I tried the infamous AL that came with the La Scalas. With a one or two watt amp, the AL was very unsatisfactory. It sounded completely lifeless, detached, etc. Disconnecting the very low power OTL amp I'd been using and replacing with with a 100+watt vintage Hafler power amp, which in the right situation can be an exceeding good sounding amp, completely changed the tonal characteristics of the presentation via the evidently otherwise terrible AL. I like to keep in mind that individuals with rather exceptional qualifications designed the AL network and made it available to the public for a reason: That perhaps being that it had potential to sound startling good in the right circumstance. With the high power amplifier, that crossover shined wonderfully. Seriously. With all other SET and OTL amps I own, except for the direct-coupled 300B monoblocks I made last year, the La Scalas were not at all happy with such a mass of inductors, caps, and other shunt components that reside in the AL. With the right amp, the AL can be, IME, very balanced and image remarkably well. The subjectivity of all of this can't be overstated.

So the answer to this story is get a 100+watt vintage Hafler power amp if you have AL networks.

And always match your speaker "system" to your amplifier as "on paper" they are one in the same circuit.

So the answer to this story is get a 100+watt vintage Hafler power amp if you have AL networks.

And always match your speaker "system" to your amplifier as "on paper" they are one in the same circuit.

They always have been and they always will be one in the same.

A Yamaha B2x is a wonderful match to 1976 LaScala type AA, much better than the countless other amps I connected to them including but not limited to various Haflers, Carvers, the biggest best vintage Perreaux and soon it will be the Nelson Pass x350.5.

Actually, no. The answer is that there is no simple answer. Let me clarify: The Hafler amp belongs to my wife. Using with the AL network was an experiment, and I was impressed with its performance with a crossover that has received rather less than flattering reviews in the past. As someone who builds his own amplifiers and preamps, specifically the single ended, directly heated triode variety, I have generally preferred dividing networks with insertion losses as low as possible, and that usually equated with simple, 6dB/ octave types, or, in the case of lower crossover points to the tweeter, 12dB for some extra protection for the HF driver. What I would suggest to the author of this post is to try a few different designs and choose which one sounds best to HIM, not the one people tell him (or her) NOT to get or use because of the opinions of others. There has been a significant correlation, in my experience with Klipschorns, La Scalas, and Heresies between the type of amplification one is using and the species of crossover that serves the most preferred performance -- based on listening, not measurement. Moreover, it would be important to not that this correlation has, for me, not so much to do with certain magical synergy, but rather another "simple" part of the equation: physics. Erik