What is clipping?

m00n

I have heard the term several times but got side tracked and forgot to ask, so, now I ask. What's clipping.

Thanks all.

------------------

the m00n system

Should have my R3 system replaced with R7 this weekends>

FRONTS: RF-3II

CENTER: RC-3II

SURROUND: RS-3II

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon,

Sound waves in their normal graphic representation as viewed on an audio oscilloscope, are seen as a line that arcs up to a point where it CURVES over, sloping back downwards to the same point off its horizontal centerline, then CURVING under yet again, and sloping upwards...repeating this sequence continually...up and over...down and under...etc. These high points at the "roll-overs" are called peaks...the low points being called troughs. In a natural soundwave these peaks and troughs have an arc they follow at the height or depth of them, respectively.

The real-world distance from peak to peak OR trough to trough on a horizontal plane represents the frequency of the soundwave, measured in Hertz (Hz). The numeric determination of a particular sound wave's HZ is determined by how many times its peak(or trough) passes through an imaginary stationary VERTICAL plane in one second...therefore its cycles-per-second or frequency(Hz). In other words, if a particular soundwave's peaks(or troughs) pass through this vertical plane 32 times in one second, then it is a 32Hz frequency soundwave(low "C" on an organ).

These peaks and troughs naturally have an arc, but when reproduced, if the speaker is NOT accurate...OR...if the power to the speaker is inadequate...OR the signal is otherwise "distorted", then the reproduced soundwave is "clipped" at its peaks and troughs...just think of this as follows:

As the soundwave representation slopes upward toward its arcing peak, if it is clipped, it doesn't make it there, but instead, it stops at some point along that linear representation and takes a hard horizontal "short-cut" towards the point where it intersects with the intended downslope, then takes another hard turn, following that slope downward as intended...this process repeats itself at the trough...etc...etc...etc..

In other words, in the graphic illustration, it appears as if the peaks and troughs have been "clipped" off.

One of the reasons that accurate reproduction of low Bass soundwaves requires such a large horn to reproduce them, is because these soundwaves have greater distance between peak to peak and trough to trough...and in order to reproduce them, without clipping, the sides of the horn have to meet the distance of that peak to peak/trough to trough for that particular sound wave frequency.

The reason PWK developed the Klipschorn (folded horn)was to have a horn speaker that could reproduce these low frequencies accurately without clipping, but still have a horn small enough to fit into a room.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-03-2002 at 12:16 PM

Oh... Cool thanks guys. So how can you tell if it's clipping? Is it simply by distortion you sometimes hear? I don't suppose a Receiver will tell you will it?

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon,

Sorry, but so far, I don't know of any receiver that has a built-in device that will say:

"Warning, Will Robinson, Warning...I am now clipping!"

But, your ears should give you a clue...and if they don't...and you continue to overdrive the speaker, your blown tweeter or woofer definitely will!!

Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Doh! I don't like that last method of knowing for sure. That is the, well, shall we say, SUCKY METHOD for determining if your clipping or not.cwm24.gif

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

mOOn, one way to know how bad your amp is clipping, is by the drivers flapping around, and the loss of dynamics.

The most basic way to look at clipping, IMO, is think of a swimming pool. Fill it with water, to the propper amount. Then, fill it some more. (amp putting out to much power) The water overflows. The pool still has water, but it's messy. Biggrin.gif

I am guessing thats right?

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch RocksConfused.gif

This message has been edited by matthew2 on 05-02-2002 at 05:42 PM

Zandern,

ME?...Teach PHYSICS????..HA! HA! HA! HA!

That would be like the King of Saudi Arabia taking up pipe-fitting on one of his oilwells!!!...LOL!

I have the most RUDIMENTARY knowledge of principles of physics of anybody on this forum!!...but I definitely AM attempting to learn more here!! Smile.gif

------------------

• 6 years later...

Originally written by Storm Shadow:

Basically speaking, all sound travels in a sine wave. Sound waves (and sine waves) look like big boobs, especially low frequency sound. Nice, curvy titties. The more volume that you ask for, the bigger the tittie the amp has to produce. However, if you want too big of a tittie, and your amp can't give you anything more than a 36C, it still tries to give you what you need. But instead, it produces a truncated tittie. That looks like a big tittie with the top cut off. Then your speaker is like, "What the **** kind of tittie is this?" And then it tries to deal with it, but speakers really freak out when you give them squared-off titties, and they start making strange noises, and damage themselves in the process. This is called clipping.

Conversely, if your amp can really fill out a D cup, but your speakers are merely a C, a little extra isn't going to kill them. Looks damn good if you ask me.

The part that gets clipped is the amplitude - or loudness. Certain sounds are designed in a song to have different loudness. Think of a ride cymbal versus a cymbal crash. The crash is supposed to be louder for emphasis.

But truncating amplitude, you do not get to enjoy the dynamic sounds of music. It all starts to sound as if their are no accents. It begins to sound "muddy."

Try it on a $10.00 pocket radio. Just turn it all the way up, and you will not be able to discern cymbal crashes, etc.