PC question (Outlook)

Coytee

Bought a new pc a week or so ago.

Fooled around, upgraded it from Vista to Win 7. Installed Office 2007 (have Office 2010 on way).

Old pc has XP and I used Outlook Express.

PC's are connected via network.

Is there any way to move/import all my old emails from OE into the new pc with Outlook?

If so, how? I've copied the "Identies" folder to the new pc so I should have all the data on the same drive....but so far, how to get it done is eluding me.

Hmm... I just had a lightbulb turn on....

I've got Office 2007 on the old pc which means I've got the same version of Outlook.

Just dawned on me that I can probably install Outlook on the old pc (meaning configure it) and import directly into it as an upgrade and then use export to create a file to then transfer to the new pc.

Fired up Outlook and it's now importing all the old emails and addresses so it's looking like the first part of my logic is correct.

Maybe the original post was premature! Will know in 30 minutes

hmm... are you trying to keep me out of trouble for the next 2.4 years?

I've got some going back to 2001

I was able to populate Outlook on the OLD pc with them. I tried to export them and that didn't work. I then thought I'd see if I could import them and take the new pc over to the old pc and find them that way... didn't work. Seems I don't have access to that specific folder (even though the whole C driver is shared)

hmm...

maybe I'll start first with Amy's

(you know, most important first?)

[:D]

This might not work now but way back when I was using Win 98 SE I was able to locate folders called (paraphrase) Outbox, Inbox, etc.

See if that still exists for Vista (do a file seach...or I think it's called Find now). If it does then you can locate the new folder in Windows Explorer and copy them in.

• Moderators

i wonder if they're love letters from your wife or blackmail emails?

No blackmail but there from my wife and girlfriend.[:o] Not really, can't be dead people don't post.

Strange looking back at emails from past friends, like OB. I really don't know why I keep them ?

That answer from Coytee could be compleatly different , he is the only person, well besides Marshal who stays in more trouble than me. [;)]

i wonder if they're love letters from your wife or blackmail emails?

One does wonder...[:^)]

Welp, I've tried various things. I've gone to old pc, copied Outlook Express files/emails to Outlook (same 2007 version). I then copied my Outlook (and Outlook Express) folders to my old PC's C drive, and then copied them via network to the new PC's desktop.

I still can't get the import feature to allow me to browse to find them. I finally tried to import as though it was from another program and when I got to the folder (with PST files??) in it, I got an error saying something like the program was already in use.

Surely they don't intend you to not be able to transfer the emails from one machine to another?

I wonder if I could simply copy them to the actual folder where the current ones reside? I might lose some of the existing emails on the new machine but only have a few and I could send them back to myself.

hmm.... thoughts?

Off to bed and leaving town for 5 days so don't misconstrue any silence from me as ignoring. I'm heading back to TN for the weekend and no PC access there since it's with me here.

Richard,

In Outlook, you can create a PST, which is a personal folder. It is a whole file, that can have subfolders in it, etc. All emails in the pst file are separate from your inbox. It is like having a second drive mapped, etc. Maximum size for a pst is about 1.9 G. You can drag files and folders from the inbox into the pst file. When you are don, you can disconnect the file from Outlook, move it to the other computer and map it in the new Outlook.

You can't copy or move the pst file while outlook is running, as it will say the file is in use.

Bruce

Richard,

In Outlook, you can create a PST, which is a personal folder. It is a whole file, that can have subfolders in it, etc. All emails in the pst file are separate from your inbox. It is like having a second drive mapped, etc. Maximum size for a pst is about 1.9 G. You can drag files and folders from the inbox into the pst file. When you are don, you can disconnect the file from Outlook, move it to the other computer and map it in the new Outlook.

You can't copy or move the pst file while outlook is running, as it will say the file is in use.

Bruce

You should also be able to go File> Import/export/ select export to file, click next, Select Personal Folder File(.pst), select the folder(Inbox), check the box for include subfolders, click next, choose the location and call it something like richard_old_email.pst and click finish.

Close outlook and then copy the .pst file you made to the new computer, where on the new PC doesn't matter but it would probably be good if it were in your user folder somewhere such as Documents or something.

Then open up outlook and click File> Data File management, second tab from the left is Data Files, click on Add, select the first option and click ok, browse to where you copied the .pst file and select it and click ok, click ok again, and then click close.

You should now see the folders added to the folder tree on the left side of the screen, if you don't see your inbox folders at all on the left side you might need to go click View> Navigation Pane> Normal.

As Bruce mentioned the max size for a .pst is around 1.9GB, the 1.9 is actually a self imposed limit by microsoft because originally if a .pst file grew to over 2GB it would automatically corrupt and become unreadable.

So it might be possible that if you have a lot of emails you are trying to export and you are using a version of Outlook without any updates you might end up with a corrupt .pst file that you can't read once it's created.

So you might want to split up your export into smaller chunks.

IIRC this shouldn't be a problem with Outlook 2007 but might be something to keep in mind if the exported .pst is over 1.9GB or so.

-Josh

"Outlook.pst" (Outlook post office) is the essence of everything Outlook on your PC. All you need to do in order to migrate everything from one PC to another is to export a copy of your "outlook.pst" file from the old PC and then import it into Outlook on your new PC. That should transfer everything including your emails, calendar appointments, reminders, settings and sticky notes.

Also, when doing backups of your PC, always exit out of Outlook prior to starting the backup so that it can back up the "outlook.pst" file. That is the most important file related to your Outlook personal data. -Glenn

• Moderators

Might want to email yourself your anniversary date so you don't forget again. [:-*]

I was lucky one of our friends stitched out something like an announcement of the wedding with the date and year, and my wife has it in a frame on the wall in the bedroom. So if/when I forget I know where to look, I can remember 11-11- but I forget what year......let me go look. [:$]..........78

Might want to email yourself your anniversary date so you don't forget again

Indeed.

I just got back from my trip to TN to see the [}] and the [&] [&] [&] [&] [&]

While there.... wife says..."oh, did you see my new piece of art?"

"nope"

"I got it for our 10th anniversary"

bit** slapped again

[:S]

• Moderators

Might want to email yourself your anniversary date so you don't forget again

Indeed.

I just got back from my trip to TN to see the Right Hug and the DogDogDogDogDog

While there.... wife says..."oh, did you see my new piece of art?"

"nope"

"I got it for our 10th anniversary"

bit** slapped again

Tongue Tied

Well was it nice ?

• Moderators

I think you can put an alarm on your phone to go off on that date, or the day before if you really in trouble so you can plan it !

I have been lucky last Nov and this Nov we planned a trip out of town on that date an easy way not to forget, we need to make plans like that every year, to remind me. [Y]