Turntable advise

cyto

I recently acquired a Dual CS-1254 with a TKS 45E cartridge, I am using an Ortofon 10 stylus and also have a new generic DN 145E stylus.

The issue is that I still hear some popping and cracking on clean new vinyl, with either stylus. I clean them with a solution that is 25% isopropyl alcohol and 75% distilled water with a little mild soap, all are reagent grade (I work in a lab) and microfiber cloths. I also use a DAK brush before playing, which helps.

I know this is "low end" for Dual, would upgrading the cartridge help or would a better turntable be the best option?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, David

David, are you buying new good quality vinyl? Just because it's new does not make it good quality. I try to always find out who pressed the Lp before I buy.

Some people swear by a zero stat gun, others claim stuff like Groove Lube works. My carbon fibre brush does great for me.

I live in a dry hot climate and I can tell a difference on the days when the humity is 10% compaired to 30%, and ceiling fans don't help with crackling either[8o|]

Sterling

David, are you buying new good quality vinyl? Just because it's new does not make it good quality. I try to always find out who pressed the Lp before I buy.

Some people swear by a zero stat gun, others claim stuff like Groove Lube works. My carbon fibre brush does great for me.

I live in a dry hot climate and I can tell a difference on the days when the humity is 10% compaired to 30%, and ceiling fans don't help with crackling eitherSuper Angry

Sterling

Sterling,

How can I tell if new vinyl is quality, I did order a couple from Soundstagedirect but haven't received them yet.

The only way to tell if your vinyl is "quality" or not, is to play it. Sterling is correct, get your self a good carbon fiber brush, it has helped me deal with the static, causing the "crackling" and occasional "pops". Often times, "pops" are dirt or other foreign material and a good brushing, while washing will help.

From my experience, cartridges don't cause "crackling" or "pops, it is more of a flat sound or lack of clarity. If it sounds good in between cracks and pops, it probably isn't the cartridge and is more to do with Static or Dirt.

I hope this helps and if it dosen't, let us know,

Dennie

Well, I'd say that you'll get excessive crackling and pops if the cartridge AND the setup are less than first-rate. The list of differing styli confused me, so I couldn't quite tell exactly what your cart is. You should use the manufacturer's needle/stylus that goes with your cart.

Is your tonearm integral with the Dual or is it separate?

Setup is very important -- the tonearm should move very easily and freely (IMO, I can tell this somewhat by moving it around). It should NOT tend to drift sideways.

This is an excellent guide to cart setup: http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm In particular, your 'table must be absolutely level. You might get one of those 6" carpenter's levels and try it in at least two directions at right angles. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009P8AI?ie=UTF8&tag=homeadditi%5Ftools-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00009P8AI

31W5XN3W8WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Stylus downforce is very important -- use the cart mfgr's specs, not make it too light or too heavy. So, I suggest the $25 Shure gauge: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-Stylus-Tracking-Force/dp/B00006I5SD. It's a little primitive and only measures to the nearest .1 or .2 gram, but does perfectly well for nearly everyone.

Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge

You're absolutely on the right track in washing your records. That usually minimizes or banishes clicks and pops. I was a little surprised to read that it hadn't.

Well, I'd say that you'll get excessive crackling and pops if the cartridge AND the setup are less than first-rate. The list of differing styli confused me, so I couldn't quite tell exactly what your cart is. You should use the manufacturer's needle/stylus that goes with your cart.

The cartridge is a Dual TKS 45E, the exact replacement stylus and the Ortofon 10 both pop and crack about the same but the Ortofon sounds better so I am using that.

I set up the pressure according to the manual.

The turntable is level

I tried turning off the ceiling fan and that seemed to help

I guess I should say that I used to be an electronics repairman in the 70's and worked on a few turntables back then, so I do understand what happens, but I am definitely rusty.

Thanks

David

All of my cracks and pops have come down to 2 thiings either the vinyl is dirty (you seem to have dealt with that although I will say a good vacuum machine does best at removing most noise), and cartridge alignment, cartridge alignment, cartridge alignment. Did I mention cartridge alignment. It is most important micro adjustments off WILL ADD to the NOISE FLOOR. You need a decent protractor to set this and get it right (there are free ones on vinyl engine or at least there were!!!! ) atmosphere can affect static as well you want the room to have some humidity (about 40%as memory serves). Have fun. Joe

I would say cracks and pops are most often caused by dirt and static.

To minimize these obviously make sure the record is clean truely clean (lots of advice to be found on the forum here). And you may have cleaned them once but they may still not be clean. Don't give up, clean again.

I use an anti-static gun (these have to be used correctly or you can introduce even more charge to the surface, and to the turntable.

Keep the stylus as clean as possible. (I use a brush and disc cleaner solution on a foam tip swab), the stylus is the first thing to dig out any dirt that you may have loosened up in the grooves of a dirty record.

I also use fabric anti-static spray from time to time on the carpeted area around my equipment. This lessens the static introduced from me touching the equipment (keep the windows open for this application!)

After you have the "environmental" conditions the best you can then you will really notice the benefits of proper set-up ie. alignment, anti-skate and stylus pressure. These make a huge difference in sound quality but can't eliminate the cracks and pops.

And like most things, "garbage in = garbage out". If the original recording is poor you will never reach that vinyl bliss that can be achieved with due dillagence.

Enjoy the journey!

One thing I've found that helps eliminate pops and clicks more than anything else (except cleaning) is tracking force. It has been established by people far smarter than myself that you should set your tracking force at the higher limit of the manufacturers specification. If the spec is 1.75 grams, +/- .25 grams, you want to set it at 2 grams. The extra weight will not add to wear on your lp's, and will help in calming down the surface noise.

Of course,this only helps if your cartridge is in proper alignment and in good working order. There is a multitude of informational websites on proper set up for your vinyl playback system if you are not sure it is set up properly.

David,

A Disc Doctor brush is a great thing to use in the cleaning process. I use micro fiber cloths as well, as a pad on which to scrub, and as drying cloths. It's important to rinse the record real well (I use R.O. water from the tap).

If you can, acquire a set-up record, such as this one from HiFi News. It REALLY helps, and takes the mystery out of cartridge adjustments. You will hear the difference these adjustments make!

Brushes3on45.jpg?s=1256762514

hi-fi_news_test_lp.jpg

Kevin,

This is the case with my setup. The recommended tracking force is 2 grams but I read several reviews that stated "everyone knows this cartridge sounds better at 2.25. grams," so that's where I set it. I use a carbon fiber brush before I play, even a new record. You wouldn'y believe the dust I get off of some records that were sealed. I have noticed that the higher quality 180 gram records are cleaner. I also keep thinking that everytime I put the record away or take it our, tiny particles may be scratching it. I don't even want to get into the problem of cat hair.

That's where the Zerostat gun comes in. Static builds up on the record while it's playing, so zapping it with the positive and negative ions from the gun after playing eliminates the static and stops the record from being a dust magnet when you put it away.

Art, I've got one of those static guns but am never sure if I'm using it right. How about a lesson.

Thebes, the zerostat can easily become a "static" gun if you use it incorrectly. I have definately had it intrduce more static to my records on occasion. The main trick is to release the trigger slowly, 2-3 seconds (seems like a long time) and don't move the gun a great deal during the pull and release cycle.

I stand the record on edge and hold the gun perpendicualr to the vinyl surface about 10 to 12 inches away. (Aim straight at the spindle hole) Spin and do the other side at the same time. This way the record doesn't pick up any static as you pick it up of the mat or what ever you have it on.

I don't "treat" the record while it is on the platter either. I have a table with electrostatic controls and the gun with render them useless. I have also heard snaps picked up through the cartridge.

Just like the real thing hold this gun steady when you pull and release the trigger.

My recollection from long ago is that you were supposed to pull and release the trigger very slowly; you were moving it too fast if you heard clicks from the trigger as you pulled or released it. I'm not "positive", er I mean, certain, about that...