what the heck is a television/fm sweep generator

The Dude

Sweep generator covers a broad-band of freqs by "sweeping" across the set bandwidth generating freqs at a set interval. Unlike a signal generator which does one freq and can vary the amplitude.

So for example. Set it to sweep from 1Mhz to 10Mhz generating freqs every 100hz. It'll sweep from one side to the other (and maybe reverse).

My recollection from my older days of using test equipment.

Sweep generators are used to align the IF stages of TVs and FM receivers, and often the crystal filters of vintage communications receivers. It "sweeps" the frequencies on either side of a set center frequency in a linear/constant amplitude manner. By observing the operation of the IF stage or filter on an oscilloscope, the desired bandwidth can be precisely adjusted. This is needed for proper rejection of signals from adjacent frequencies which would otherwise bleed into the frequency that you are listening to (or in the case of a TV, watching!).

You can also inject super accurate frequency markers from other test equipment to check out if you are infact screwing everything up. Standard industrial practice. And make sure you use 20 db pads and cables that have been swept before hand or your results will be unacceptable and you will be called a Duncebag.

Done it thousands of times.

JJK

I have a nice, easy to use software program. Audio signal generator, with different waveforms (sine, sawtooth, square...), levels. You can set it to sweep between two different freq. Does .1-20Khz. Mono/stereo with phase adjustment, pink noise generator...

It works really well.

Bruce

But can it detect spy cameras and microphones?

You'd need a spectrum analyzer Cool

JzWo6-d78hrwjIgItw8P8rAwMOAnZu6Oh4QB05cs

Q6x15kQ0YPfbbFvsHEBl5fBuhzO9WAN83cDy97_G

Ohhh! Signal genreators, spectrum analyzers, base station emulators! I probably got nearly a million dollars worth of this equipment in my office right now. WiMAX base station emulators/signal generators don't come cheap! [:o]

But yes, as was already indicated, the sweep generator will generator a range of frequencies or "sweep" at set intervals. It is used to test and align a reciever to ensure it is accuratly picking up the correct frequencies. In the case of the specfic unit mentioned, it is designed to run through the TV and FM signals.