RF-7 ll

A1UC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think its foolish of me to go from a Integra 50.2 to a UMC-1

I think it unlikely that the change will make the difference between Audio Hell and Audio Nirvana

I agree with StephenM and would go further by suggesting if you level-matched your AVR's internal power supply to your external amps (at the volume that you want to listen) you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

personally, i dont prefer the sound of the rf-7's in stereo mode but i would say i am a die hard lover when it comes to home theater surround with the 7's included. The rf-7's perform beautifully with music at high volumes and they really keep up with it. In that respect i think the rf-7's are great. At lower-moderate listening volums where you just want to sit an relax, i just dont feel the warmth and relaxtion as i do with my heresys or my rf-5's which i miss so much. I have tested with quality sources and its clean and clear but lacks the body i like at those lower volumes i was talking about.

Check to make sure your subs are matched on both sides so you arent getting a delay reaction of some sort as well. I also turned up the gain on the lower end with my emo pro and that helped give more body at lower volumes. I dont use auddesy or in this case emoq, i should try it but i usually like to mess with things myself.

just my .02

personally, i dont prefer the sound of the rf-7's in stereo mode but i would say i am a die hard lover when it comes to home theater surround with the 7's included. The rf-7's perform beautifully with music at high volumes and they really keep up with it. In that respect i think the rf-7's are great. At lower-moderate listening volums where you just want to sit an relax, i just dont feel the warmth and relaxtion as i do with my heresys or my rf-5's which i miss so much. I have tested with quality sources and its clean and clear but lacks the body i like at those lower volumes i was talking about.

Check to make sure your subs are matched on both sides so you arent getting a delay reaction of some sort as well. I also turned up the gain on the lower end with my emo pro and that helped give more body at lower volumes. I dont use auddesy or in this case emoq, i should try it but i usually like to mess with things myself.

just my .02

Great post sub, 2 channel music needs its own set up imo. I know

some think eq is like putting sauce on a good steak. But every room and person

has different taste. I still go back to what I said before and would recommend getting

a standalone eq. set the avr to direct stereo and run the eq between the avr

and the emo. That would give it a finer warmer

sound that works so much better for 2 channel music.

I got the UMC-1 hooked up last night , well kind of I just hooked it to my XPA-3 and fronts and center so I could have some sound to watch my show on tv.

I will try and get things hooked up correct maybe this weekend . Iam sure glad the UMC-1 wasnt out when I was married to my ex I would of hated to be in the way of that thing taking flight "deadly weapon " . My Harmony 1100 works fine so I will be packing the UMC-1 remote away .

Does anyone else have HDMI sink issues with there UMC-1 ? Or a popping threw the speakers when first turning on ?

i dont have any popping issues, the umc-1 powers on and then turns my amp on, i think there might be a slight pop on noise come to think of it but nothing very loud at all.

HDMI issues, please dont get me started on HDMI in general and then talking about the UMC-1 in the mix. HDMI is a great idea but the practice of it sux, the ports are flimsy and its easy to break the handshake and its a ***** to try and not bend the cord in a lot of instances. Now as far as the hdmi switching on the UMC-1, its far better now with updates than when i first got it. I have also thrown away hdmi cords because they just no longer work or "go bad" or somehow got ruined. Im not rough with my stuff but when hooking stuff up and moving them around and this and that, i guess everything gets some wear on it. BTW i use all monoprice cables and the quality is fine, not worth it to buy an $80 rocketfish cable in any shape or form.

Also keep your emo remote out for tweaking unless you harmony has the ability to mimic all of the remotes capabilities. Try out emoq, emoq allows you to tweak the changes after your done which is something auddessy doesnt allow you to do from what i understand.

As for the noise I turn down the vol before powering down and its still there at startup . This morning I fired everything up and the vol was at 0 I even waited a min or two and than as soon as I touch the vol at all pop just once and its good till next time , I called emo this morning they said next update should fix that , as for the hdmi I have the

hdmi output from the umc-1 running to the tv and the hdmi from the cable box running to the input of the umc-1 i have to wait before I can watch TV for a min " searching for signal " So this morning I picked up a digital cable and I am going to go from the cable box to the tv using hdmi and from the cable box to the umc-1 using the digital cable and

see if this works out better , Like I said only reason I bought the umc-1 was for the 40% off card when emo replace the umc-1 with the new 1000.00 model and I will save 400.00 so I will get it for 600.00 then I will sell the umc-1 or use it for the garage the new unit will have 1.4 hdmi 3D bal xlr and more monoprice stuff works great I agree as for the remote the 1100 seems to do everything so far

I am researching if setting up my Klipsch RF-82ii's as Wides, and the
RF-7ii's as FL/FR driving it with the Denon 4311 makes sense,

as the
4311 has 9 Amps, and my EMO XPA-5 has five amps, for total of 14 amps
available.

I would use the EMO XPA-5 at 200W per Ch. to drive the RF-7's (FL/FR),
RC-62 Center, and RS-52 Surrounds (SL/SR), and the 4311 at 140W per ch.
to drive the Wides (RF-82ii's).

Make sense, but would only hear the Major diff. in MultiChStereo mode
for Audio, and of course w/ FL/FR being the RF-7's in Stereo mode,
should hear a difference as well.

The RF-7ii's are 5.31 ft^3 of volume vs. the RF-82's at 3.85 ft^3 or
about 38% more in Volume, and 3db more sensitive at 101db vs. 98db,
which one can hear for sure. Dual 10" woofs vs. 8" woofs are around 36%
more in Area, about same as cabinet increase in volume -- interesting,
Klipsch is doing their research/design thats for sure.

My gut is telling me that going with Wides (RF-82ii's), and let the
RF-7ii's handle the FL/FR it would also OPEN up the Front Soundstage
even more in MultiChStereo Mode - do you agree?

Just wanted to get your expert opinion if this all makes good sense for around $2.2K more for RF-7ii Fronts.

BTW -- Love My KLIPSCH's -- they are Very REAL and Natural in sound quality.

I am researching if setting up my Klipsch RF-82ii's as Wides, and the RF-7ii's as FL/FR driving it with the Denon 4311 makes sense,

as the 4311 has 9 Amps, and my EMO XPA-5 has five amps, for total of 14 amps available.

...My gut is telling me that going with Wides (RF-82ii's), and let the RF-7ii's handle the FL/FR it would also OPEN up the Front Soundstage even more in MultiChStereo Mode - do you agree?

Just wanted to get your expert opinion if this all makes good sense for around $2.2K more for RF-7ii Fronts.

Welcome to the fourm DenPureSound....I am not sure what you are asking but I would get the RF-7ii mains and the RC-64II center and start from there.

{EDIT: All of that "wide" and amp talk is "fluff," until you get your front soundstage and AVR setup and see how it works with your Denon AVR.}

{2nd Edit: Multichannel Stereo! [:o]}

I am researching if setting up my Klipsch RF-82ii's as Wides, and the
RF-7ii's as FL/FR driving it with the Denon 4311 makes sense,

as the
4311 has 9 Amps, and my EMO XPA-5 has five amps, for total of 14 amps
available.

I would use the EMO XPA-5 at 200W per Ch. to drive the RF-7's (FL/FR),
RC-62 Center, and RS-52 Surrounds (SL/SR), and the 4311 at 140W per ch.
to drive the Wides (RF-82ii's).

Make sense, but would only hear the Major diff. in MultiChStereo mode
for Audio, and of course w/ FL/FR being the RF-7's in Stereo mode,
should hear a difference as well.

The RF-7ii's are 5.31 ft^3 of volume vs. the RF-82's at 3.85 ft^3 or
about 38% more in Volume, and 3db more sensitive at 101db vs. 98db,
which one can hear for sure. Dual 10" woofs vs. 8" woofs are around 36%
more in Area, about same as cabinet increase in volume -- interesting,
Klipsch is doing their research/design thats for sure.

My gut is telling me that going with Wides (RF-82ii's), and let the
RF-7ii's handle the FL/FR it would also OPEN up the Front Soundstage
even more in MultiChStereo Mode - do you agree?

BTW -- Love My KLIPSCH's -- they are Very REAL and Natural in sound quality.

Hey DenPureSound, welcome to the Klipsch Forum, we're glad you're here! drinkingcheers.gif

Your post would get better response if it were in a "New Post". You can still start one, or hope people see it in this thread.

To answer your question..... NO!!!

More speakers in a room, dosen't usually give you better sound, just more of it. I would get the RF 7 II's and place them as far a part as possible and "toe" them in towards the main listening position. A big part of the equation is the room. A well treated room with Diffusers and Absorbers, bass traps, etc... can be a beautiful thing and almost eliminate the room from the equation. The more speakers you add, the more sound you have bouncing around the room, to try and "tame", it gets much more complicated.

Someone else can better help you with the "matching" center and surrounds.

I do agree that they would give a more open soundstage in "Multichannel Stereo" Mode, but what is your goal?

Are you building a Home Theater? Does the Denon have outputs for "Wides". I know some Yamaha receivers have "Height" speaker outputs and I've heard mixed reviews on those. But I don't know that I've heard about "Denon" having "wides"?

Keep us posted and we'll try and help you get the best sound that you can. We love our Klipsch speakers also! thumbup.gif

Dennie

Thanks Dennie,

I presently have two RF-82II's for FL/FR's. I am looking now at getting the specs on the RF-7's, and comparing them to Dennis Murphy's latest designed speaker being the Philharmonic PH3's for front left and right.

Does anyone know where I can find all of the On and Off Axis plots for dB vs. Freq. of the Klipsch RF-7II's?

I have been looking at the PH3's which have unbelievable specs for On and Off Axis and want to do a complete spec. comparison of the two different Tower Speakers. If anyone is interested the PH3's specs are at:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic3.html

Once I can compare the RF-7II's to the PH3's then I will make my decision which way I am going just for the Front Left/Right "DREAM SPEAKERS" for Stereo Mode w/ the Denon AVR-4311CI, which btw will support 11.2 (one 2ch. amp req'd.), and am at 5.2 now, but going to replace the RF-82II fronts with either the RF-7II or Philharmonic PH3's!

And certainly if the Klipsch RF-7II's are highly rated their should be published plots of measured data, On and Off Axis. I was amazed all the data that the Philharmonics PH3's have online to compare, even Reverse Null plot and Port Air Velocity as a Function of the Speed of Sound, just amazing -- Klipsch should have that data also, since these towers are around $1.5K Each.

Hello all.
I got two RF-7 II last week, and I have been loving them. I love how sharp and deep the sound is.
I'm driving them with an Ingetra DTR-30.3 receiver wired as bi-amp.

Hey Lexugax, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, we're glad you're here! [Y]

Congratulations on the RF-7 II's! [<:o)]

Stick around and share your experiences with us. Do you think there is a benefit to bi-amping them? Is this a strickly 2 channel set up and what have you been listening to?

Again, we're glad you joined and welcome to the Klipsch Family!

Dennie

Thank you!

Concerning the benefits of bi-amping, I am sure that technically it lower distortion and better dynamics, but I haven't really tested my system without bi-amping to hear the difference. I just decided to do it from the beginning because I happen to know somebody who used to work for the Infinity/JBL distributor in Spain, and he recommended me to at least have it bi-wired. At the time I had a couple of Infinity Alpha 50's and a Yamaha receiver (don't remember the model).

Right now it is strictly 2 channel, but eventually it will be a 5.1.

I listen to hard rock, classic rock, electronic/dance, some classic music. I also like to listen to some music like Frank Sinatra, Edith Piaf, and instrumentals.

I enjoy listening to my music loud, and love music that will make the dynamic quality of these speakers shine. Also love the sharpness of the Klipsh horns.

Well, don't want to bore you anymore with my rambling. Thanks for the welcome.

Jaime

I am looking now at getting the specs on the RF-7's, and comparing them to Dennis Murphy's latest designed speaker being the Philharmonic PH3's for front left and right.

Wow, that will be quite the apples to oranges comparison, the controlled directivity and high sensitivity of horns vs. the direct radiator apprach with those fancy planar tweeters. I'd bet the Klipsch are lumpier, but more dynamic and hard hitting, than the philharmonics. They will each play with your room in pretty divergent ways. I've heard many Salks, but none of the Philharmonics. They were nice, very polite compared to Klipsch though.

Welcome to the forum, DPS. Is the Den part of your name for Denver by chance? Kuvo has a bunch of free passes to RMAF, thought I'd mention it if you're local, might be something you're interested in.

Thanks, no the Den is for Dennis with two "N"s, just abbreviated. I have the RF-82II's for FL/FR right now, and they are nice but not at the caliber that I want for all audio here. So I checked on the RF-7's and can get a couple of them for around $1100 each new which is a good deal, but am heavily researching speakers in the $2K+ each range to see what I can get for the monies. It is very difficult to get the bench tests for like Paradigm S6 or S8's, Klipsch RF-7II's, PSB Synchrony Ones, and so I stumbled upon "Dennis Murphy" the Xover designer for SALK, and his new company Philharmonic Audio. His PH3 is going for $3K a Pair!

When I look at his plots, and all of his data of which there is a ton of stuff online, I was amazed at how they compare to the Salk Soundscape 12's at $14,000/Pair. But so far, I am reluctant to put out any Monies until I can hear them, and they are a BIG improvement over the RF-82II fronts that I presently am running here in Washington State.

Do you have the plots on the RF-7II's available? Please do compare the plots of the PH3's vs. the RF-7II's when you get time. The PH3's freq. response is 25-20KHz. (+/- 2db), and has a ML-TL Mass Loaded Transmission Line also, designed by Paul Kittinger.

Sure wish I could hear the PH3's, and compare them to the Klipsch RF-7's!

Well, Dennis, I'm still saving for retirement, while you sound like you've already done your saving. Kudos. For this relatively poor Ski Bum, it's used forte II w/ Crites hot-rod mods. I think they'd give RF7's a serious run for their money, if not flat out smoke them!

I still think RF7s and Philharmonics is apples to oranges. I haven't seen measurements on the RF7, but I think one of the German hi-fi rags has a review with at least some measurements. I'd be willing to bet that by most current prevailing objective measures, the Philharmonics would smoke the Klipsch. In real life, I think the philharmonics may have a tough time indeed of providing that spank, the attack and dynamics that horns give. While neither is without character, I think it would be tougher to get the Klipsch to be quite as neutral as the Philharmonic, and likewise tougher to get the Philharmonic to sound as kickin' and lively as the Klipsch. The dynamic punch of horns seems more like real music to some of us Klipsch fans, and worthy of giving up the things other approaches do better at. They both place completely different demands regarding room placement, listening distance (aren't the Philharmonics open baffle/dipole mids?) and such.

Best solution is to have a full horn system in one room, and a full Philharmonic system in another!

Check this out:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/140739/1441085.aspx

Scroll down to the post showing the decay plot, looks pretty rough, particularly those spikes up at 11 and 15khz.