Quick question...how much sound actually goes to the rear surrounds?

dewthedru

I'm asking because I have a bit of a dilemma. I am upgrading my system from a 6.1 setup to 7.1. I currently have RB-35's in the front, a RC-35, three RS-35's for surround, and a HSU sub. Tomorrow I'm picking up a set of used RF-35's which I will use as my mains. He's also basically throwing in another RS-35 which will give me four of them.

So...if barely any sound goes to the rear, won't the RS-35's handle it fine? If so, I'll sell my RB-35's and maybe put the money towards a new receiver to replace my aging HK 630.

I am very happy with my four RS-3 ll surrounds.

If your interest is multi-channel music then you might like using the RB-35's, but for HT I think you will be happy with using the RS-35's, of course room arrangement will also matter.

Here's my configuration.

Posted Image

I'm asking because I have a bit of a dilemma. I am upgrading my system from a 6.1 setup to 7.1. I currently have RB-35's in the front, a RC-35, three RS-35's for surround, and a HSU sub. Tomorrow I'm picking up a set of used RF-35's which I will use as my mains. He's also basically throwing in another RS-35 which will give me four of them.

So...if barely any sound goes to the rear, won't the RS-35's handle it fine? If so, I'll sell my RB-35's and maybe put the money towards a new receiver to replace my aging HK 630.

When I’m running just 5.1 content my rear speakers get the
same info as my surrounds (left to left and right to right). So they get just
as much information as the surrounds and are just as loud. Of course when it’s
6.1 or 7.1 then it’s separate. I turned everything off but the rear speakers to
see how much content they are actually getting and it’s surprisingly way more
than I thought it would be. If you run
super small speakers the content will probably sound small so it’s up to you on
how much you want from it.

I haven't yet bought into the whole "bigger is better" when it comes to movie surround speakers. Music might be a different issue, but I don't like my music behind me anyway. When was the last time you were at a concert in real live and the band was playing behind you?? I think you will be very happy with the RS-35s in the rear. You might as well experiment while you have all your options open.

Let me know if you decide to sell the RS-35.

Thanks for the responses. You can tell this is an adult forum because you all are up before 8. Haha. What's a good movie to check out the rears in 7.1?

I think Monsters Inc BRD is 7.1 (but not sure). Either way, it has great surround sound effects. There are several others, but that's in my collection, plus I have a three year old that loves to audition it!

Thanks for the responses. You can tell this is an adult forum because you all are up before 8. Haha. What's a good movie to check out the rears in 7.1?

I just watched "Lord of War" with Nic Cage and think that would be a good one to try out. [Y]

I also think folks with smaller surrounds don't realize all of the pertinent information that goes there and how awesome of an experience it is having something that can deliver like their mains...Keep in mind, both the surround speakers and center channels were designed to overcome obstacles that most home owners have.

I am very happy with my four RS-3 ll surrounds.

If your interest is multi-channel music then you might like using the RB-35's, but for HT I think you will be happy with using the RS-35's, of course room arrangement will also matter.

Here's my configuration...

Hey Rich,

I have an irregular shaped room and my subwoofers positioned differently because of constraints, but we seem to have the same speaker configuration except I use direct radiating speakers to convert 5.1 to 7.1. I will admit replacing my rear RS-7s with RB-75s was pretty much a lateral move but I much prefer my RF-3 towers to both the RS-7s and RB-75s as my side surrounds.

Of course, YMMV. [;)] {Note: My primary listening material is Multichannel music, but the wife and I also watch a ton of moves.}

• Moderators

I am never up before 8 am,(except to go to the bathroom) and don't call me an adult, it's just a disguise.

I will admit replacing my rear RS-7s with RB-75s was pretty much a lateral move but I much prefer my RF-3 towers to both the RS-7s and RB-75s as my side surrounds.

Are you serious? RF-3 over RB-75? If that's the case, I'll take them off your hands and give you a pair of RF-3s right now! Not Kidding. If you run them all with a sub and use the "small" setting, I don't see how this is possible.

Hey Rich,

I have an irregular shaped room and my subwoofers positioned differently because of constraints, but we seem to have the same speaker configuration except I use direct radiating speakers to convert 5.1 to 7.1. I will admit replacing my rear RS-7s with RB-75s was pretty much a lateral move but I much prefer my RF-3 towers to both the RS-7s and RB-75s as my side surrounds.

Of course, YMMV. Wink {Note: My primary listening material is Multichannel music, but the wife and I also watch a ton of moves.}

Yes I can see where the floorstanding RF-3's would be a very big advantage for multichannel music, I also think direct firing RB's would be better for multichannel music over the RS's.

For music I am almost entirely 2 channel stereo + sub, for HT I have preferred the diffused RS sound for my surrounds, I used to have direct firing bookshelf speakers in an earlier system and really liked the change for surround effects when I went with my RS-3's. Also for my room I prefer a wall mounted surround so the RS-3's work perfect for me and look good on the walls.

I will admit replacing my rear RS-7s with RB-75s was pretty much a lateral move but I much prefer my RF-3 towers to both the RS-7s and RB-75s as my side surrounds.

Are you serious? RF-3 over RB-75? If that's the case, I'll take them off your hands and give you a pair of RF-3s right now! Not Kidding. If you run them all with a sub and use the "small" setting, I don't see how this is possible.

I would also take rb-75. They have better drivers and materials

used in them. Rf-3 is nice and probably looks cooler set up as surrounds but

that rb-75 horn is the …t. [:P]

There is no way I am getting rid of my RB-75s!!!! [:o] I have them in our Bedroom HT and although we don't use them much, when we do I realize that I won't be selling it at a budget price. [:P] There is no doubt when paired with the RC-7 that it is a better soundstage than the RF-3s paired with an RC-3.

Insofar as my usage as side surrounds, the RB-75s don't provide as much punch as I need in an elivated speaker (they are raised 10 inches at near the height of my RF-7s) that I sit close to...Beleive me, after countless hours of expermentation, I chose the speaker that works best in that location. Of course YMMV.

I would also take rb-75. They have better drivers and materials used in them. Rf-3 is nice and probably looks cooler set up as surrounds but that rb-75 horn is the …t. Stick out tongue

They have all that, but the horn in the RF-3 is no slouch. I sit 3.5 ft from my front sub (side wall...lousy location) 4ft from my surrounds and 7 ft from my rear sub and in this configuration I missed the mid bass more than the upper end when using the RB-75s....Again, see my post above and know I won't be selling either pair of RB-75s I own but check E-Bay upon my death. [;)]

I am never up before 8 am,(except to go to the bathroom) and don't call me an adult, it's just a disguise.

haha, recently I actually made it to my 7:00am yoga class before I came back home and finally went to bed, sometimes I wonder if I'm turning nocturnal[:)]

I would also take rb-75. They have better drivers and materials used in them. Rf-3 is nice and probably looks cooler set up as surrounds but that rb-75 horn is the …t. Stick out tongue

They have all that, but the horn in the RF-3 is no slouch. I sit 3.5 ft from my front sub (side wall...lousy location) 4ft from my surrounds and 7 ft from my rear sub and in this configuration I missed the mid bass more than the upper end when using the RB-75s....Again, see my post above and know I won't be selling either pair of RB-75s I own but check E-Bay upon my death. Wink

I hear yea, you know you’re set up way better than we do. I used to have the rf-82 and loved them so if the

rf-3 sounds anything like them I agree they are great HT speakers.