why did I wait so long to get a pro amp

cablebandit

I have some Klipsch Chorus and some KLF-30s. Ive always thought the Chorus to be gutless down low and the Klf-30s to be only a little better. Ive been powering them with my yamaha dsp-a1 (110wpc) from 2000-2010 and then with an onkyo tx-nr3007 (140wpc) from 2010 to present. Recently I put the onkyo in bridged mode to get around 230wpc...still loud but nutless.So then I tried an Adcom 555 (200wpc)....no difference. I have 2-18" subs so I havent been missing bass but wondered why these big ole speakers didnt have any. I just bought the oldest/cheapest/junkiest pro amp you can probalbly get. It is a Crown Power Base 2 that looks like it was pulled out of the trash...80 bux on craigslist...:"what the hell" i thought. It is 325wpc and im using some radioshack rca to 1/4plug adapters. OMG!!!! on this amp these speakers ROCK...I mean hard. Gone is any brightness,,,,and the bass is wonderful. Of course this old amp has a fan that sounds like a blow dryer going in my livinroom but i dont care...these speakers have never sounded this good. Had I known this, I would have bought a pre-processor to decode DTS-MA.. Dolby HD and other formats then bought a couple of pro amps.I know a lot of you guys like the old rock and roll but when I say bass I mean the low stuff that aggravates you in cars at the redlight....these speakers now produce that. They are so clear and just sound full and STRONG. Yeah i saw the light...it must be the low ohm capability of the amp.....just AWESOME!

No eye deer. It must be the way it handles the low ohm dips of the woofers. The adcom didnt sound quite as good (minutely perceptible difference) as having my onkyo receiver in bridged mode.I literally keep getting up at times to make sure my subs arent on in 2 channel mode. Finally I hear that the Chorus can kick some *** and the klf-30s have some BALLZ! :)

Before when I would turn up the music really loud it would be very bright and irritating and the bottom end didt elevate like the highs. Now it just gets louder and louder but staying just as clear as when the volume is low. Yeah i know this old news for lots of you guys but Im sure there are some out there who dont know just like I didnt until yesterday.

• Moderators

I smell what you're steppin in.

I've had pro amps in my HT for the last 4 years or so (see my sig). They have great punch and clarity. You can also swap out the fans for some quieter ones to make the noise much less noticeable, or inaudible.

And it smells good. [:D]

I would like to try a bigger pro amp just to see. I use the smallest crown amps ever made I think 35wpc. D-75

Very cool you found a way to make them dig down and give it.

...still loud but nutless.

Love it.

Sunfire amps have no fans and run just warm to the touch.

+1. I love my Sunfire, AND have thought about trying a pro amp for the LFs in the RF-7s. You don't know until you know. Pros are more affordable.

Just for clarification; No eye dear = No idea, phonetically for us Kansas folk, but it's spelled wrong. i.e., "I got no ideer why dem der fellas er lissenen to dat bowsee wave rodeo der. Ain't no sound like dat I ever herd be good."

fitting coming from a guy from mk furrrsen. jk

An Omaha guy! I can tell you are regionally near by as you didn't pronounce it as McFearson. Big faux pas in these parts.