OT: review of Dr. Pepper TEN

Daddy Dee

"are you talking about some home brew soft drinks or store bought?"

I am actually using a fruit drink mix like 'Crystal Light' which has Aspartame, and mixing it with a 'Kool-Aid' type mix sweetened with Saccharin. I use the generic 'Great Value' type product for two quarts, mix the two different flavors in a gallon container, add 100 drops of Saccharin, and chill overnight (it seems to get sweeter with time).

This is intended to wean me off soda (which it has done), and I hope to switch to water with a spritz of lemon and/or lime.

I was having some health issues with Aspartame, and have reduced my consumption by about 50%, and the issues have improved.

I quit soda for 10 years, but became addicted to diet Coke after having just a few.

One issue is the local water, it is undrinkable. I have now purchased a counter-top filter and the water now tastes OK. I need to treat the whole house water though, it's pretty bad just to take a shower with it. The local hair-cut place recommends using distilled water for washing your hair!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marion, IA

In Cedar Rapids, IA (across the street) the water tasts great.

Years ago people in CR went to a city park and pumped well water by hand into containers because city water was so bad.

The strange thing about Marion is that the water on the east end of town tasts fine.

Interesing stuff, DD.

I am a late onset (about 12 years now) Type 1 diabetic. I never drank diet anything as the tast of synthetic sweetners was, and remains to me, absolutely horrible. Worse, the "sweetness" remains in my mouth long after the drink is gone. Even a sip by mistake of diet coke or whatever immediately seems to find its way into my blood and tongue. This isn't psycho, as I noted as a child the same thing happened when I was given aspirin. The aspirin taste would show up in my mouth a little while later and remain for a while.

So, I was delighted to find sucralose didn't have this effect and unless used to excess tasted far more like sugar than anything else, including fructose (yechh).

So, I've waited patiently for DP to produce a sucralose sweetened version to no avail. As I am a pump wearer and constant BG tester, I can pretty much have a sweetened drinnk or whatever when I want and bolus insulin to cover it...but I have become something of a "why consume so many unnecessary carbs" type. Not militant, just more "all things in moderation" (OK, except beer...it DEMANDS excess and gusto!).

I really liked Pepsi One, but it either failed or is just no longer carried at my local grocer. I am also a big fan of Frosty root beer, diet version with Splenda. Makes a SPLENDID root beer float with BB Homemade Vanilla (which is, counterintuitively, pretty low carb due to the cream content).

Kroger frozen strawberries sweetened with Splenda are also quite excellent.

As to the Dublin Dr. Pepper, I second that. When I lived in Flower Mound, we made a trip to Dublin every couple of months to resupply our stash of sugar sweetened DP and Frosty root beer. Frosty was even in the original bottles until the last couple of years when the bottles became more valuable as collectables. Also, Pepsi recently started selling Pepsi "Throwback" with sugar here and it's very tasty compared to the fructose stuff and appears to be selling pretty well. Mexican coke with sugar also sells well in the Houston metro and is readily available...though twice the price of the corn stuff.

Other than the cost, i don't see a problem drinking sodas other than excess sugar. A friend gave us a Soda Stream machine for Christmas last year and I've enjoyed it both for just plain fizzy water as well as some of the mixes they provided for colas, DP taste alike, root beer, etc. It's cost effective just for the carbonated water side. I've gotten to where I really like carbonated home made lemonade, limeade, and orangeade.

Dave

Havent they been trying to use Stevia???

I saw a report (here in D-Land) that said the big ones would like to sweeten their beverages since 2008 or so with it???

Stevia tastes like licorice. I don't care for it. I want sweetners to sweeten, not change flavors. There is another sucralose relative that was patented simultaneously but a decision was made not to produce it. I've forgotten the name, but it is a European patent if I recall correctly.

Dave

The Stevia that we get here does not taste to much like licorice. Mabie processed differently. It is not a sweetener here it is a "Food Suppliment".

The only stevia I use though is fresh off of the plant, we have it in our garden, you do have to adjust and when making tee I get the sweet without sugar. Could be the lemon I put in is counteracting the licorice taste though??

Just found this in wiki

"As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations. "

I guess fresh is the right way to go!!!

And Dr. Pepper was my favorite when I was young, we get it here sometimes but it just aint the same.

Could be the lemon I put in is counteracting the licorice taste though??

I've never had access to the "thing itself," but sounds worth a try. I am a lifelong ice/lemon/tea drinker to the point that I will drink tea unsweetened if I have no lemon for it...though it ain't the same. When I lived in Singapore I was delighted to find that "icelemontea" was a local favorite, though expensive and no free refills, as well as very little ice. However, it was WAY over sweet and strong, so I'd order up a large glass of ice and mix it half and half with water. Perfect, and one free refill!

Dave

Could be the lemon I put in is counteracting the licorice taste though??

I've never had access to the "thing itself," but sounds worth a try. I am a lifelong ice/lemon/tea drinker to the point that I will drink tea unsweetened if I have no lemon for it...though it ain't the same. When I lived in Singapore I was delighted to find that "icelemontea" was a local favorite, though expensive and no free refills, as well as very little ice. However, it was WAY over sweet and strong, so I'd order up a large glass of ice and mix it half and half with water. Perfect, and one free refill!

Dave

We have several plants and 2 to 3 leaves is enough for about a half a gallon of lemon tea.

• Moderators

Well dtel it's more that if you have arthritis some caffeine is good for it. I don't think it is preventative. The champagne and strawberries and cream are plenty good medicine!

But I might have arthritis already and don't know it, the caffeine is numbing it ? [:o] OK I know better, just trying to find the good side of my bad habits.