My first Pre/Pro...Initial Impressions of the Emotiva UMC-1

Youthman

• Moderators

My UMC-1 arrived today! The sales office and Lonnie were extremely friendly in answering my pre-sales questions. No smoke and mirrors, Lonnie shot straight with me and said if I had any reservations about the UMC-1, then I probably shouldn't buy it (was that reverse psychology?)

Packing was excellent At first glance, it's georgeous. The brushed aluminum is very classy. I even love the look of the remote (don't care for the "clicking" buttons though).

The UMC-1 is replacing my previous Yamaha RX-V1800 so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it compares to an AVR both in SQ and Features.

HDMI handshake with the PS3 was fine, a little slower than the Yamaha when switching sources but acceptable. I did hear the "pop" through my speakers when I powered it up. I'll have to see how often that happens. No popping when increasing volume so that is good.

Unfortunately, the wife and kids were in bed so I was only able to play at low volumes. I'll get to play with the audio side tomorrow. Video looked very sharp.

For now, I thought I would share a little eye candy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yes, their customer service so far has been outstanding. The two people I spoke with during pre-order sales and sales were extremely friendly and Lonnie was great at answering all my technical questions. They shipped it the same day I paid for it. That's Newegg customer service. [:D]

No denying Emotiva makes good looking gear.

I definitely love the style. Very elegant to me.

Keep us posted about sound Q and operation ease.

Will definitely do. I was up until 2:30am setting it up, routing cables, tidying them up with zip ties and began to setup the menu manually. A lot of Emo guys do not use the EmoQ (I believe it is their room correction software like Audessey). One cool feature is that I can setup everything manually and save it as a preset. Then I can run EmoQ and save it as another preset and be able to compare how my manuall settings sound vs the EmoQ settings.

I have a busy night but I'm sure I can get a few minutes of listening in.

CONGRAT'S! I know you have agonized over your deciscion but now you can make your own judgement.After all that's been said you probably have realistic expectations unlke when it was realesed and some thought it would be everything at 25% cost of the others, not realistic.It is a great unit that sounds great, I have no pops or undesireable operations but I don't have the last FW.If need be you can probably install other FW versions or wait on the new.

I hope it meets your expectations and needs, you worked hard to research I know.I think you're gonna be surprised, but let us know either way.

• Moderators

I'll be honest, I'm pretty stoked at this point. I think most of the users that do have problems are still willing to bear the nuisances because it sounds so good. I have put much time, countless hours researching, seeking advice etc and I did buy the UMC-1 knowing the quirks that I may or may not experience. Based on the fact that I have no financial investment in it, I figured what did I have to lose? If I totally hate it, there are plenty of people that would be willing to buy it at a reduced price.

I'll probably take a lunch break and run home to eat...and play a little. [:P]

Congrats on the new equipment! I'm shocked that you went the new route as I know that you constantly search for steals in the used market, even more than I do so I have to ask this question, knowing what kind of a buyer and researcher you are. Did you go this route because for the money spent you couldn't compete with this unit new? Please keep posting your impressions as I've been on the Emotiva site so many times and so close to hitting the buy button that it isn't funny.

• Moderators

pete you are correct I really love finding those too good to pass up and do not often buy new electronics. few reasons why I pulled the trigger on the umc-1...

1) I sold my yamaha for $5oo so it was no out of pocket to upgrade to a pre/pro.
2) it was on clearance from $699

3) curiosity

4) have little to lose if I don't like it

5) 40% off a future pre-pro

6) most people that own it love it

7) looks sweet

my only gripe is the noise floor on the xpa-5, atleast i believe its the noise floor, it has to be, everything else is hooked up right unless my umc-1 is unducing some noise but at this point its doubtful. I listen to my rotel or HK and the noise floor is so much lower but then again its not ranking out 200 watts a channel like the xpa-5. I have sensitive ears and i pick up on junk like that so it bothers me but the performance when things are going is great. I remember you saying a while back that your parasound did the same thing, i think i'd stick with the parasound since you already have it. Switch it out if you get bored :)

It is the noise floor on the xpa5, on most speakers barely noticable but on 7's..........My upa while not as much power(but all I need) does have slightly lower noise.The xpa5 while a great amp at it's price is not in the same league as the Parasound, of course just my opinion.I think you would have to move on up to the top of the Emotiva lines to be an upgrade to consider.That is considering the Parasound is operating at factory specs, which mine beat it's own written specs on the bench.Another thing was my Parasound run really hot, like burn ya, but for years with no issue.The Emotivas do run much cooler.

Yes...well you've certainly got off to a good start.I still often see people think that all this gear sounds about the same, nothing could be further from my experiences.When you get a set that leaves you not worrying about changing gear anymore that's when you got the set for you.

If you turn the volume on at all you should hear some noise with your ear at the horn.If your amp/pre has no noise congradulations, you are one of the few in this price range hooked to Klipsch.At the seating position it's no issue that I've heard.