Is McIntosh 275 tube amp the best for a LaScala type speaker.....in your experience.

crd97086

Hello. Please understand that I need, at this point, truly staight up, honest answers. I am am being advised to spring the cash for a Mcintosh 275 tube amp. I am being told by a person that knows his chops, that this is a tube amp that I will be happy for perputituy(sp?). I would love to think so, but, I am looking for stellar imagaing, that is the biggest thing that I would like largened from my current highend setup. Any knowing, willing, experiences users would be appreciated.

It is an amp that you problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.......BUT......is not the only amp that problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.......you problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood find an amp at 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of an MC-275 that problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.

So, Sir, with all due respect, ..........................I would love to believe your words.....but................you still are still;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;standing believing that...........Greg Robers////////// Votit Audio/.........is a a PRETENDER..................I know HIGHEND AUDIO;...................////;............Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have KNOWN for 7777777777777777777 MONTHS that you are a preteneder ./...............guess who told me that you call into KLIPSCH all the time....................fine................your have your opionions on's on crossovers....

Spearfrtiz..........all that I ask from this world is that people present themselves propersly...............Just like last December, when Sheltie Dave, Davis, and the rest started on me............

Shush Guys.......I thanked at that time Several members............among them Sootshe,, Fastrac Dave....(who doesn't know Dave's contribrtuions to the Forum?)............And most of all DBK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Let it be said..................and do your F****** research............that these guys did the best in my minds eye for the promotion of what the BAsics that PWK laid down.

With that said.............as always, I have only been here for 15 months............did I learn a TON .............HEll Yes..............So, do your own.......without that, you are just a bunch of POSERS like SpeakerFRistz.

Would I have taken all that back , but the nayers...............the NEGATIVE POSTERS..........yeah you SpeakerFritz.....Yes, You Mark 1101 and and that other guy.......you would have never said this to ME...........Greg Roberts(Volti Auidio)..............or anyone...................................................

Yeah............Amy take this down...................but Please...............take this..............old army SOD...............Speakerfritltz ..............Corpmaschal HIM(sp?_.........He, oh ....SF is ..........so not a nice guy............Look at how he beat GR928GTS......over timel.................why do you think this punk is a real contributor?????????????

I would have been happy with anyone else to this discussion.............but .........people...............so, not SpeakerFritz...........SF...you are so much not willing to speak on my theads...........goodnight.............Dale.

With that said.............as always, I have only been here for 15 months............did I learn a TON .............HEll Yes..............So, do your own.......without that, you are just a bunch of POSERS like SpeakerFRistz.

Would I have taken all that back , but the nayers...............the NEGATIVE POSTERS..........yeah you SpeakerFritz.....Yes, You Mark 1101 and and that other guy.......you would have never said this to ME...........Greg Roberts(Volti Auidio)..............or anyone...................................................

Yeah............Amy take this down...................but Please...............take this..............old army SOD...............Speakerfritltz ..............Corpmaschal HIM(sp?_.........He, oh ....SF is ..........so not a nice guy............Look at how he beat GR928GTS......over timel.................why do you think this punk is a real contributor?????????????

SF gave a great and honest reply. Very straight up, too. No more more answers from me.

So, Sir, with all due respect, ..........................I would love to believe your words.....but................you still are still;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;standing believing that...........Greg Robers////////// Votit Audio/.........is a a PRETENDER..................I know HIGHEND AUDIO;...................////;............Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have KNOWN for 7777777777777777777 MONTHS that you are a preteneder ./...............guess who told me that you call into KLIPSCH all the time....................fine................your have your opionions on's on crossovers.... Spearfrtiz..........all that I ask from this world is that people present themselves propersly...............Just like last December, when Sheltie Dave, Davis, and the rest started on me............ Shush Guys.......I thanked at that time Several members............among them Sootshe,, Fastrac Dave....(who doesn't know Dave's contribrtuions to the Forum?)............And most of all DBK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Let it be said..................and do your F****** research............that these guys did the best in my minds eye for the promotion of what the BAsics that PWK laid down. With that said.............as always, I have only been here for 15 months............did I learn a TON .............HEll Yes..............So, do your own.......without that, you are just a bunch of POSERS like SpeakerFRistz. Would I have taken all that back , but the nayers...............the NEGATIVE POSTERS..........yeah you SpeakerFritz.....Yes, You Mark 1101 and and that other guy.......you would have never said this to ME...........Greg Roberts(Volti Auidio)..............or anyone................................................... Yeah............Amy take this down...................but Please...............take this..............old army SOD...............Speakerfritltz ..............Corpmaschal HIM(sp?_.........He, oh ....SF is ..........so not a nice guy............Look at how he beat GR928GTS......over timel.................why do you think this punk is a real contributor????????????? I would have been happy with anyone else to this discussion.............but .........people...............so, not SpeakerFritz...........SF...you are so much not willing to speak on my theads...........goodnight.............Dale.

Dale, I do think that the 275 is an excellent choice for LaScalla speakers, along with several other tube amps.

I also think, perhaps, you should reevaluate your tag line...

You are due for "Miller Time" right now...

<

I auditioned about a dozen tube

and solid-state amplifiers on unmodified Cornwalls, LaScalas and Khorns in my

living room for EnjoyTheMusic.com. I heard Quads at Klipsch gathering years

ago. I heard VRDs briefly on Mike Lindsay's modded LaScalas. They blew me away.

My first choice would still be passive or active bi-amping with tube amplifiers.

My second choice for Big Ole Horns would be NOSvalves' VRD. (http://nosvalves.com/vrd.htm). The

likely very high resale value and cache' of the McIntosh equipment is quite

tempting though: buy it right and when you do resell it, you could own it for

free.

I suspect that is not your problem

though. If I were you (but still had my good looks!), I would seriously

consider adding a very deep, very high output sub-woofer to your system. Two

grand into a Epic or Parts Express kit will have far more impact on your system

(including TV) than a more rounded bottom in your tube amplifier! I auditioned

$6K Delta Studio 6s33s on my LaScalas (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0306/delta_studio_6s33s.htm).

They have a boomy bottom end. An inexpensive 300B tube amplifier, with a powerful

sub-woofer, would be just as musical in the mid-range and have lot more bass.

H I would love to think so, but, I am looking for stellar imagaing, that is the biggest thing that I would like largened from my current highend setup. Any knowing, willing, experiences users would be appreciated.

For stellar imaging you need to go with mono amps (or a stereo amp with 2 totally separate power supplies). Any amp which shares the power supply between both channels is likely to have some crosstalk issues which can have a noticeable effect on imaging.

I am new here, but in the thread I just started, I have received some very helpful advice from the guys here.

crd97086, you have started two threads asking for some "straight-up" information on amps. And you have received same.

How do you respond? Let me answer that -- like a Troll.

Be gracious -act your age, and accept the help freely given.

MollyM

It is an amp that you problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.......BUT......is not the only amp that problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.......you problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood find an amp at 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of an MC-275 that problaly most likey good possibility very likely alomst certainly very likelyhood be happy with.

Or perhaps said another way...

Barrister: But we've got to verify it legally, to see

Mayor: To see?

Barrister: If she

Mayor: If she?

Barrister: Is morally, ethically

Father No.1: Spiritually, physically

Father No. 2: Positively, absolutely

Munchkins: Undeniably and reliably Dead!

Or perhaps said another way...

Barrister: But we've got to verify it legally, to see

Mayor: To see?

Barrister: If she

Mayor: If she?

Barrister: Is morally, ethically

Father No.1: Spiritually, physically

Father No. 2: Positively, absolutely

Munchkins:
Undeniably and reliably Dead!

[Y]

Dale has spent a couple years and dropped some coin on this hobby, so he can come here to pontificate we are losers who don't know much about anything.

I do know that VRDs are about the only custom built PP tube amps that were voiced with La Scalas being the specific set of reference speakers used. They do sound a cut above the McIntosh MC 75 monoblocs I have with which I have compared, FWIW. I happen to enjoy all the flavors we run, but there definitely some significant strata in the collection.

Posted Image

Going on ten years back in the hobby, and learning every day.

It is a Cosco tea cart, Mike. That makes all the difference in the world. [;)] I'm still looking at shelves, but it is difficult to find a midcentury modern shelving unit that looks good, yet can hold some stout midcentury iron without collapsing. The other problem is easy access to the business ends of these amps, as once they are in place, you don't want to keep repositioning them to switch things around. I like to have things close, so trading amps out is quick and easy.

The Harman Kardon Citation II, and especially the Lafayette KT550, make the VRDs and Marantz 8B seem like lightweights. In listening comparisons, the MC75s seem close to the Citation II, below the KT550, and behind the Marantz 8B and VRDs. Like Terry in "On the Waterfront," I believe the MC 275 will be bloodied, left stand in woozy fashion while saying "I coulda been a contender."

, I am looking for stellar imagaing, that is the biggest thing that I would like largened from my current highend setup

I'm a bit nervous to respond given some of the response I read.

I would wonder if your room is currently 100% treated to sound as good as it can sound?

Meaning, I'd wonder if 'the most perfect amp on the world' would suck in a bad room and a quasi-decent amp would sound stellar in the perfect room? (stellar relative to a perfect amp in a bad room)

I've had a pair of really nice MC-30's. Said by some to be one of the holy grails of amps. I've had a MC-2102. I've had some low wattage OTL's, QUAD II's, Viva 300B SET and a couple other tube amps.

Frankly, they all sounded more alike than not 'in my room'. Of them, only the OTL and the Viva 300B (both SET's by the way) seemed to have any extra imaging that the others seemed to not provide.

Indeed, it was with the Viva 300B that I was able to sit there and "see" some background singers over to the right and as they took turns singing, their localization changed to the left a bit (as the left singer started to sing). This was on Roger Waters In the Flesh CD. I happen to also have the DVD of same show so I was aware of where they singers were standing. Was it the amp or my memory from the DVD?? (I don't know)

I ended up selling ALL of those amps, deciding I was not going to worry about such things until I got my room figured out first.

I'd wonder if speaker/room interaction might have more positive/negative influence over the sound than anything else (presuming use of 'decent' equipment, not necessarily $50,000 stuff)

Edit to add: The above was done when I had Khorns, Al K's extreme slope crossovers and depending on my mood, some JBL 2404's to swap out. I was not necessarily lacking in upgrades other than I was using the K400.

Having heard (only breifly) Greg's VoltiTrac's (not sure if that's the right name), I gotta say that they sounded very very nice.

I would still wonder though if they would sound bad while in a bad room.

So my point is....get the speakers right first....get the room right first.... and do everything else second.

He is on an impossible quest, Coytee, as La Scalas are not the ultimate imaging speakers. There is only so far you can go with them, as KHorns image better than La Scalas. I hear my best imaging with a sudsy product in hand and my wife cooing in my ear, and Barry White doing his thang over any speakers. Now THAT'S an image...

as La Scalas are not the ultimate imaging speakers. There is only so far you can go with them...

Hey now... [;)]

My LaScalas have revealed some incredible imaging. You really have to have the room right, though. My room isn't set up as well now, but it is more practical for normal use.

However, I think Richard is correct that the speakers and room have to be right before the amp comes into play.

btw, nice set of amps, Dave.

Bruce