Visit to the "Wall of Voodoo"

Mallette

And finally, Michaels system with Xbox. Kewl...

Loving father? No doubt, but as Michael makes straight A's and handles his weight around the house with scarsely observable prompting to the point of over achieving I think this is well deserved.

OTOH, Marshall listens on a boombox in the shop...go figure.

All in all, this what this place is about. Virtual is nice, but actually pressing the flesh of the great folks who spend quality time here is the best! Thank you, Marshall & Katrina, for a warm and memorable time!

Dave

post-9494-138196846387_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally, Michaels system with Xbox. Kewl...

Loving father? No doubt, but as Michael makes straight A's and handles his weight around the house with scarsely observable prompting to the point of over achieving I think this is well deserved.

OTOH, Marshall listens on a boombox in the shop...go figure.

All in all, this what this place is about. Virtual is nice, but actually pressing the flesh of the great folks who spend quality time here is the best! Thank you, Marshall & Katrina, for a warm and memorable time!

Dave

Now if this isn't a "guy" room, I don't know what is.....

• Moderators

Here's our esteemed host with the PAW in front of the most Mc I can recall seeing in one place. I am going to leave questions about both the speakers, most of which are moded, and the equipment config to Marshall.

Very nice pictures. [Y]

That's alot of equipment, I would need a list on what order to even turn it on and off. [:o]

Good thing Dave did not take a pic of the workshop.... LOL!!! Weather's finally perfect for wood work, and I need to get the other 2 pairs of H's (1 x H-1 with H-III "guts" and modded H-I pair) on the side walls to "solidify" the imaging in the Wall of Voodoo.

Like Dave said, it's not supposed to work..... but bees are not supposed to fly either. What makes it work is the ability to control each specific speaker pair with it's own amp; and the amps must either be identical, or have the same design topology. I can make the "stage" wide or narrow, close or deep, etc. I can "pinpoint" it (perfect for vocals, solos, Alison Krauss, etc.... or make the "sweet spot" wider when there's a couple folks in the "cave". It is, in effect, a surround system, but the surround process is absolutely controlled from all aspects.

The "neat" thing when the Wall is all running, is that I can fine tune for the listener. The prefect A/B tweak. We put on one of Daves "reference" piano pieces, and I simply started adjusting each amp with the "Is this better? - <pause> or is this better?" Took about a minute, but after "dialing it in" for Dave's ears (which are really good), he closed his eyes and was prepared to pronounce verdict on the Wall.

Dave likes a more "narrow stage" and a closer "apparent depth" than I do, so the centers were adjusted up a couple dB, and the top centers another dB or so to get him closer to ole' Virgil Fox working the stops and pedals.

For the most part, I can also skip the whole "dial in" (which does not take more than about a minute, as Dave can attest), and simply listen to a single pair on their own; as there are some days where I just want to listen to the K'horns, or the KP's up in the high corners.

Whenevr I have a "Klipsch Guest", I try to put them in the "venue" they want. Small recording studio? Night club? Personal performance in a concert hall? Third row center? the balcony? Noisy outdoor concert? The Wall can be configured for just about anything.

Dave was most kind enough to leave a spare hard drive with his massive and outstanding music collection here. Dave's mentioned the organ compositions in various threads before, but suffice to say, he has one of the most impressive samples of live organ music and other folk/ classical I have ever heard.

I started yesterday with the USSR Symphony Orchestra, and I can now better appreciate the work and time Dave has spent in assembling his collection.

We did not listen to much "rock and roll" in the cave (except for a couple hours Tuesday night over a few glasses of brandy.... LOL!!). Most of the time we sampled different classical pieces, various genres, and some rare recordings he has made. We did get weak once on Wednesday and I put on my best "Euro-Trash" selection (Night Flight to Venus and Rasputin by Boney-M) so he could get a laugh out of what was "hot" back in the day, and so he could see why Colter freaked out when he was here!!! LOL!!!!

At least Dave did not tell me I need the disco chandelier ball!! LOL!!!

Next project is to transfer Dave's tunes, and then send him my tunes back on the hard drive.

As I mentioned before, Dave's family are the nicest folks you can imagine or ever want to meet. Dave's wife is most gracious and his son is a great kid.

If you ever have the chance to meet the Mallette family, please do so; they are truly great folks, and my experience with the great Klipsch "family" is infinitely richer for their friendship.

Back to the workshop for me!!!

[H]

Head phones or ear protection in the sons' pic?

He has the headphones because they have the mic for the "online" gaming with the other players. Notwithstanding what that "system" will do (my original K'Horns and Heresy's), Michael never plays the sound to a SPL that bothers me in the adjacent living room. I "transferred" my original system speakers to him a couple years ago, and he knows how to hook everything up, and keeps everything clean, etc. When he graduates, heads off for college, etc.; he will have a good system for tunes, games, and general "entertainment" without the struggle to put something of quality together.

[H]

Thanks for the kind words, Marshall...we were trying to behave.

What I copied onto that drive wasn't really "filtered" or anything and I realized that one of the Spankers directories has probably 25gb of the original 4 channel high res stuff you may want to ignore. While you could assemble a stereo version by loading the "LF" and "RF" channels and saving them, you wouldn't get anything substantially better than the 24/88.2 that is already there.

There are probably also quite a few without playlists. Anyway, what you find useful will be "found music" and the rest is easy enough to delete...

BTW, check out the "Field Hippies." Great piece of lesser known late 60's genre recorded in high res from a VG condition album another Forum member brought over.

Just explore. Should be fun. As I said, I didn't really have time to pick and choose in my haste to get ready to leave, so no telling what you'll find.

Dave

It's still not right until you get that disco ball installed. Seriously, I recall my first look/listen to the Wall of Voodoo (in the master bedroom at the time - Khorns, double stacked CW, and LS 'centers'. This wasn't supposed to work, it was the workings of a madman I tell you. But Marshall had an interesting approach to a 2 channel setup with variable soundstage which he has tweaked and fine tuned using matching Klipsch Heritage products and MATCHING amplifiers and I think that is the key to this type of setup. First the mighty Sansui beasts, now these magical blue-eyed monsters. You wouldn't believe it until you hear it but the ability to steer sound to whichever speaker set seems most appropriate for the type of music and carefully dial in just the right amount of 'stereo center fill' (like the Khorn with Belle/LS/CW center but even more so) really works.

Just wanted to put a final "thanks" to the Muro family for great hospitality. It's a very special bunch living in a very special place. The pictures I posted don't really do it justice, but provide something of an idea.

BTW, I recommend a hoist to get that last amp in place.

Dave

I've been busy working in Excel designing the Wall of Voodoo replacement "rack" system. The other pre-amp will arrive in a couple weeks and the "beast" will come to life!!! It's going to take 4 full sheets of BR or oak plywood.

SWMBO said, "The Wall of Boudoir" rack system better be next on the list, big boy...". That's only 3 sheets.

WMP did me in with it's data update and put all of your live recordings... with no meta-data other than the title..... Unless the tune was ripped from a CD, WMP ignored the folder title, etc. Oh well... Makes for a great WYSIWYG playlist!!!

Made the next batch of the chili! All was well, doubled up on everything, and added saute'd bell peppers and onions and teaspoon of the sambal olek (also known as prik dong in some adjacent countries...) sauce. Great chow and three quarts in the freezer!!!

[H]

I'm busy in the lab (kitchen....) with a WF package spread out before me as I attempt to figure out their proportions of the actual ingredients. I also have a pound of ground round divided into 4 little "piles", and am on test batch #3. I'm close!! It's their "chili" powder pack that makes it what it is. More cumin methinks.....

I'm busy in the lab (kitchen....) with a WF package spread out before me as I attempt to figure out their proportions of the actual ingredients. I also have a pound of ground round divided into 4 little "piles", and am on test batch #3. I'm close!! It's their "chili" powder pack that makes it what it is. More cumin methinks.....

Their kits are cheap and convenient both for home and camping, so I've never tried to to reverse engineer them. They DO have a better than average grade of chili powder, plus the advantage of always being fresh. The rest of the stuff is just yer basic OTS stuff. I leave out the red pepper as it is just heat and I prefer heat and flavor...hence the sambal. I use about two tablespoons to get to "Texas Red" levels.

Of course, the beans are optional but I ate more beans than chili growing up and like them. IMHO, only fresh cooked or Goya canned need apply. The other brands of canned pintos are travesties.

BTW, prik dong is Thai for sambal. They don't use it much in most areas, much prefering (as do I) prik nam pla, their native fresh chili sauce. Using those fresh Thai chilis in "Texas Red" would create flaming death...

Dave

PS - Guess this should have been in the "Recipes" thread.