Why the lack of respect for the ICON / SYNERGY line?

MRC2011

I am new to KLIPSH & the forums, but upon doing search no one has much to say about the mass market ICON line sold at a national retailer. By the specs, it seems to be similar to the SYNERGY line, but I don't hear much about these either. I am new to KLIPSCH, I just converted from POLK. I got a great Black Friday deal, so I pulled the trigger. I have a relative who has a pair of RF-35's and to my laymans ear, my new KF-28's sound just as good if not better (but I am trying not to be bias). Why do these lines seem to not get more respect in these forums?

I am new to KLIPSH & the forums, but upon doing search no one has much to say about the mass market ICON line sold at a national retailer. By the specs, it seems to be similar to the SYNERGY line, but I don't hear much about these either. I am new to KLIPSCH, I just converted from POLK. I got a great Black Friday deal, so I pulled the trigger. I have a relative who has a pair of RF-35's and to my laymans ear, my new KF-28's sound just as good if not better (but I am trying not to be bias). Why do these lines seem to not get more respect in these forums?

You raise a very good question. The speakers seem very similar in specs. The exceptions are the port front or rear, the horn aluminum or tractrix, and the woofer gold colored or grey. :)

What would be cool would be if you a/b switched your relative's speakers with yours, and posted a review of your perception. Better yet, put an RF on the left, and a KF on the right, and see which one sounds better.

I'd guess the Icon & Synergy lines aren't as popular around these parts simply because its mostly the hardcore Klipschites that tend to stick around these forums for an extended period of time, and before long they've moved on to RF-7s, the Heritage line, Jubs, and so on.

FWIW though, if you own Klipsch speakers, you're OK in my book!!!

• Moderators

The Icon is not all that old, the Synergy I think is older and there are better lines farther up the Klipsch lineup which some people have moved into after having Synergy's.

I am one of those people, there is nothing wrong with either Icon or Synergy. I had a Synergy HT and can say it is really good sound compared to many speakers out there, I know I compared them when looking ,and a great deal for the $.

And this is not even taking into consideration the music reproduction disease, it has alot to do with wanting more/bigger/better. I'm not positive but they say it's true ?

Guest Anonymous

Icon.....Synergy....a Polk to Klipsch converter, you've already gained the respect. [Y]. Welcome to our crazy Forum.

HOWEVER I MUST WARN YOU....

If you hang around on the forums to much, what you thought was an innocent Black Friday deal could turn into a serious addiction. Ah yes, another klipsch Addict is born, and the chaos starts, just what we need. I think there is one or two of those around these parts, [Y] but dont be worried, we have a few focus groups to help with that...

Turbox, I totally agree with you. But I was wondering if I could borrow your "Polk to Klipsch converter" to fix my last 3 Polk speakers. It would be real cool if it could 'convert' my polk center CS350LS into a Academy and my rear Polk FXi 50's into some RS-52's or 62's either would be fine. I'll cover shipping.[;)]

The lines are what they are.The RF 35 is not a reference speaker I would say is vastly superior to the Synergy brother.If you move up the reference line then the difference becomes more pronounced.I have had some really good Synergy speakers and some not so good.I have never had any bad reference speakers.

The RF 35 is not a reference speaker I would say is vastly superior to the Synergy brother.

What is the "R" In RF-35 for then?

Obviously the R is for reference, that don't mean "I" can't say it's not vastly superior to Synergy, IMO.He compared Synergy to 35's, try the RF 5 and see if there is not a big difference.

The RF 35 is not a reference speaker I would say is vastly superior to the Synergy brother.

What is the "R" In RF-35 for then?

Obviously the R is for reference, that don't mean "I" can't say it's not vastly superior to Synergy, IMO.He compared Synergy to 35's, try the RF 5 and see if there is not a big difference.

Got it. I didn't understand your context.

I too have found there to be a fairly large discrepency between the RF-15/25/35 and the RF-5/7's.

• Moderators

Just skip all the upgrade problems and get these, you can also play for the whole neighborhood even if a local band shows up. [:|] Sure they fit through the door and the wife will love them, there just a touch bigger than the Synergys. [;)]

post-11804-13819684611488_thumb.jpg

There you go again dtel, always showing off! [:D]

I own a pair of Icon WB-14 bookshelf speakers and use them for my bedroom system. I like them just fine. I run them through a vintage Yamaha receiver using a Sony ES CDP they sound great in a small room. Perfect for an application where tower speakers aren't practical. The Synergy line is perceived as the "introductory" line to Klipsch speakers, & the Icons are designed to blend in with modern flatscreen tvs & decor, Providing big sound with a nominal footprint. These lines hit certain pricepoints & the Icons meet with the all important "WAF"-Wife Approval Factor.

It is not that these lines don't garner respect from those that own them & hear them, it's just that the further up the ladder you go into the Klipsch line up, i.e. Reference & Heritage, etc. you will see where the real Klipsch heavyweights reside. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the reponses. UPS just delivered my 2 [:D] RW-12D's. I was only able to hook up one because the other arrived damaged. It is in the process of being replaced. However the one I did hook up moved my soul. I can't believe the difference of the RW-12D compared to the Polk PSW110 which is only a few weeks old. I feel like I might be catching a fever. A fever that won't be hazardous to my health, just my wallet.