Shop Vac?

abjonesiii

Electrolux to me are like Heritage Klipsch and Mac tube gear: I would rather own one of these used than a new anything else. I have a 1967 "Super J" canister and a early 2000s upright and they work like no other. I can even do my own service work on them in many cases - simple and "modular" so I can swap out brush bars with ease. If one of these fail I will buy another like them. I actually like the stuff they were building about 10 years ago, and would buy one of that age and refurb it to new spec for another 30 years of service.

It's sooooo nice to buy something once and not have to do it again for years......if everSmile While that old "Electrolux way" of selling vacs door-to-door is a method that doesn't play well today, the quality they had was never out of style in my book....one of a few old classic brands I still appreciate now.

My mom used to have an Electrolux similar to the one in the attached pic. Sounded like a turbine running in your house and you should really have hearing protection while using it. Lots of metal... you knew it would last forever. Somehow it got out of the house and gone when we transitioned mom to a care facility. It worked great.

Bruce

oh wow I recognize that brand now. I remember seeing one of those at my grandma's house when I was a kid. Her's was silver and white though I think?

Those things go forever.

I've got a Shop Vac at home I bought close to 30 years ago. It was when they were making the bases (trash collectors) out of metal. I used mine with water quite a bit so after about 10 years or so, the bottom started getting rust holes in it. The vacuum assembly worked fine. Coincedentally the top of the shop vac was the same size as a 5 gallon plastic pail. I drilled out the hold down clasps and riveter them to the pail and kept using it. Eventually the plastic clasps dry rotted/cracked/broke but the motor was still going. I've got bungee straps holding it on now and it still works fine to this day.

Those things go forever.

I've got a Shop Vac at home I bought close to 30 years ago. It was when they were making the bases (trash collectors) out of metal. I used mine with water quite a bit so after about 10 years or so, the bottom started getting rust holes in it. The vacuum assembly worked fine. Coincedentally the top of the shop vac was the same size as a 5 gallon plastic pail. I drilled out the hold down clasps and riveter them to the pail and kept using it. Eventually the plastic clasps dry rotted/cracked/broke but the motor was still going. I've got bungee straps holding it on now and it still works fine to this day.

+1

I've been using my dad's craftsman wet/dry while renovating. He picked it up used in the 80s. It's caused me grief in a couple of rooms, pulling up carpet at the edges or seams when I've accidently let it latch on and create full suction.

haha thats actually a very well done video. But for some reason it leaves me feeling depressed as I sit here staring into a glowing box wondering if anyone has responded to my"witty" forum posts while occasionally glancing out the window to stare into the rest of suburbia... [:^)]

So with the drywall bag they migh make pretty good vacuums? $250. I think ours was $120 and it seemed a bit over priced but from a real hardware store on my side of town.

Even better if HEPA filters are avaiable or maybe just vacuum with a bit of water. The only thing missing is a brush for carpeting. Many of those are too agressive as a lot of carpet fibers get brushed off. Or the carpet's just poorly made.

I bought a genie shop vac about 25 years ago, it gave up about 6 to 10 years ago. It did a lot of sucking of fiberglass with that loud thing. The plastic guides that centered the filter gave up so I did the same. My sister gave me this GE canister vac and she got something different. It still is going pretty good but missing the original bag, hose, cord, attchments and maybe some other parts but it still sucks up the piles of dirt. ALL metal and it has rolled down the stairs a few times without a dent. I am thinking 1965 or so, GE used to make good stuff.

post-42841-13819686044798_thumb.jpg