Advice on hooking 2 receivers up to one pair of Chorus speakers

Youthman

• Moderators

Have a friend of mine that just ordered a refurbished Harman Kardon Stereo receiver with preouts and has a vintage pioneer receiver. He wants to be able to hook both receivers up to a pair of Chorus speakers. If I understood him correctly, he loves the sound of the Pioneer but doesn't want to use it all the time since it is vintage and will add wear and tear on it.

He's looking for a way to easily switch between receivers. Is there some sort of switchbox he can purchase?

My thought was to have both receivers going into a 2 Piece Wall Plate and then he could just manually switch with banana plugs from one unit to the other.

Just wanted to see if you had any other ideas.

33251.jpg

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm not sure I understood exactly why he wanted to hook them both up. I might have the reasoning wrong. I just remembered asking if he really needed to hook up two receivers and he said yes, he wanted to. I told him I would ask in the forums.

He's looking for a way to easily switch between receivers. Is there some sort of switchbox he can purchase?

Yes there is and this Niles is it. I seen it suggested many times on many forums.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=DPS-1&recordID=Source%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Automated%20Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00003

http://www.amazon.com/Niles-Audio-DPS-1/dp/B00006HOFR

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=925055

Bill

• Moderators

Thx Bill and Trom for the info on the Niles unit. I figured someone out there made such a device.

You can also feed one with the other preouts like I do.

JJK

I had thought about that but the only problem I see is that he would be only using one amplifier. Not sure if that really would matter to him. He at least has 3 options that I see:

1) Niles unit - Expensive

2) Wall Plate - Very Inexpensive

3) Preouts - Free

Thx for the info guys. I'll let him know.

Youth,

There are quite a few "Speaker Switchers" that have multiple inputs for receiver/amps. If you go on the Bay there are probably ten or more different ones that will take up to six different sources and switch between them to a single set of speakers. This may or may not be what you are looking for; I remember seeing them when I was searching for a quality Speaker Switcher. It is basically a Speaker Switcher that will work in recerse.

W. C.

Many of the multi-speaker switches cannont be used "backwards" because they contain circuitry to maintain a constant load on the amplifier.

A simple box that will do what you want is not hard to build. 12 binding posts, a pair of DPDT switches, a bit of wire, and a suitably sized box and you're golden. When I built the one I used for a while I took it to the next level and used DPDT relays to do the switching. It worked well. It was set up such that the non-default amp triggered the relays and switched over to the other source input.

If you'd like to try to build one I'll see if I can find my notes and diagrams. I'm not sure if I took pictures or not.

Would this work, it only accepts up to 16 guage wire, though:

http://www.a1components.com/Products/Saga-Home-Edition-2-Source-Speaker-Selector-Wall-Switch--white__SAG1100HE.aspx

SAGA 2 SOURCE SPEAKER SAG1100HE

Our single gang decora wall switch provides switching between 2 different input sources and 2 different sets of speakers (A, B, or both). The SAG1100HE can be used in conjunction with either impedance matching or non-impedance matching volume controls. It is built to operate with up to 100 watts of power per channel and accepts up to 16-22 gauge wiring configurations.