SW115 has been released for sale!

abjonesiii

It seemed to me that you care more about the Klipsch name. In my opinion, Klipsch engineers don't do a very good job when it comes to subwoofer. It either a hit or miss. Takes into consideration the price you have to pay to get a good quality subwoofer, the alternative is always better.

It seemed to me that you care more about the Klipsch name. In my opinion, Klipsch engineers don't do a very good job when it comes to subwoofer. It either a hit or miss. Takes into consideration the price you have to pay to get a good quality subwoofer, the alternative is always better.

I couldn't care less about the Klipsch name, really. I just don't like bullshit. If someone takes some credible measurments of the SW115 and it is trounced by the Epik Empire, fine. But unitl then, you don't really know what you're talking about, do you? It's just speculation. I owned an RSW15 and was quite happy with it. Most of the people who gave IT shyt didn't know anything about IT, either.

On paper, the $849 SW115 is no match for the $799 Empire. Looking at the design and performance history of Klipsch subwoofers, I don't need measurements to tell me that the Empire is better then the SW115. Many subwoofers comparisons and measurements done by users and experts rarely include Klipsch.

I couldn't care less about the Klipsch name, really. I just don't like bullshit. If someone takes some credible measurments of the SW115 and it is trounced by the Epik Empire, fine. But unitl then, you don't really know what you're talking about, do you? It's just speculation. I owned an RSW15 and was quite happy with it. Most of the people who gave IT shyt didn't know anything about IT, either.

If the SW115 is similar in performance and reliability to the RSW15 they'll have a winner. If it's like their newer offerings (poor price/performance ratio or plagued by bad amps) then not so. Hopefully the former.

Well, all of the testing and numbers for the Empire has been well established. And base on that, the SW115 is no match for the Empire.

I assume you came to this conclusion by comparing the SW115's 121dB @ 30Hz, 1/8th space at 1m with the Empire's measured ability to put out 105.8dB at 25Hz @ 1m, 1/2 space (equating to 123.8dB @ 25Hz @1m, 1/8th space). That certainly doesn't paint such a rosy picture for Klipsch, but it's not the only bad news.

The Outlaw LFM 1-EX (and presumably the Hsu VTF 3.4) can lay down 107.3dB @ 25Hz, 2 meters, 1/2 space, equating to 125.3dB, 1 meter, 1/8th space, at only $649+shipping (and goes on sale regularly enough).

The SVS PB12-NSD can put out 105dB @ 25Hz, 2 meters, 1/2 space, equating to 123dB, 1 meter, 1/8th space for $769 shipped to your door.

Suffice it to say, there is no shortage of competition at the price point. Klipsch better have brought their A-game.

You are right Stephen. I'll also throw out build quality to go along with those numbers. As a previous owner of the SW112 all I can say is if the SW115 is anything like it then it's not worth your time. It really is hard for those who have never owned a quality subwoofer before to understand the difference but those new SW subs from Klipsch don't deserve the Klipsch badge. Cheap as cheap can be from the woofer, to the box, to the front grill and even those inserts that hold the grill in place. It's a giant sawdust box worth of crap. Even of the performance numbers are decent I would again look elswhere because of build quality. I think most people who post on this forum know what I'm talking about and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of members don't have Klipsch as their sub maker.

From a P/R perspective, Klipsch should remove the entire Powered Subwoofer forum. There is never anything positive said about Klipsch subs, unless they are talking about a past one. I hate to say it...

If I had Klipsch's capital, I would buy SVS, HSU, Velodyne or the like, and let them make the things the way they want. I just cannot understand how a company who makes such incredibly good speakers cannot seem to .... rant over....

If I had Klipsch's capital, I would buy SVS, HSU, Velodyne or the like, and let them make the things the way they want.

That is kind of what I said a few posts ago:

"I say bring back the RSW-15 and make it digitally controlled(RSW-15d) with on board EQ and acoustic suspension(sealed with no passive) and at least a 1200 watt amp. Heck, they could even outsource the mfr'ing by SVS or HSU, I don't care, and sell it internet direct through Klipsch.com to keep cost down. The Reference subs need to have cerametallic woofers(copper) as a designation."

[:D]

Bill

From a P/R perspective, Klipsch should remove the entire Powered Subwoofer forum. There is never anything positive said about Klipsch subs, unless they are talking about a past one. I hate to say it...

Very true, mustang guy... I wish they would just do away with the actual subwoofer department altogether. Out of respect for Klipsch, who make fantastic speakers!, I won't post my opinion in this thread anymore. I've been quite negetive about these new subs from Klipsch and don't want people to get the wrong idea about their other superb offerings in the speaker section. I guess it's because I'm such a loyal supporter of their speakers that I am so vocally disappointed in the way their subwoofers have gone.

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anybody here bought this sub? It doesn't seem to be a worthy contender with the Epik Empire. 121dB at 30Hz as oppose to the Empire's 125dB at 25Hz. The Empire has dual 15" drivers with more power and costs less.

Neo, where are you getting this information from?

Everything I've seem regarding the Epik shows 125dB at 125Hz, not 25Hz.

As far as I'm concerned, 125Hz is not required for a "subwoofer" .

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree Bill.... (willland)

Owning both an RSW10 and the first generation HSU VTF-3 (front firing). Love them BOTH.

This little RSW has been ABUSED for years and keeps going strong without a single problem. The old RSW line of Klispch subs were definitely keepers ..

I don't know why Klipsch decided to cancel that model so quickly. ??

Take care,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...