Anyone live near me so I could listen to your speakers?

cdub5

So I've been given some good advice by the great members of this forum. I'm currently in the market for the RF 82II's and the RC 62II. Unfortunately there really is nowhere near me where I can listen to them. I can easily buy them online, but then I'm pretty much stuck with them, whether I love them or hate them. I did get to hear the 82's at store which led me to starting the thread called "not quite what I thought" The opinion of several of the responses was that listening to them in a store, where it seemed they were improperly placed and set up, I did not get an honest feel for the speakers. So my advice was to see if anyone on this forum lived near me with this set up that I'm looking for, and would be willing to let me hear them. I live near Livermore, CA which is in the east bay area of northern Cali. About 40 min outside of oakland. don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot.

Wish I could help you out because I live in the bay area too (Redwood City). I will have the RF-7ii/RC-64ii setup in a couple weeks if you wanted to hear those. My wife may end up killing me when she sees how big they are but we'll worry about that then. I sold my RF-83s and said I would be getting something smaller so...They weigh less and are shorter so I guess I can argue that.

Did you buy those speakers locally? Somewhere close that might have the ones I'm looking for? With my only option being internet, I'm starting to get worried about buying Klipsch. The word "bright" comes up constantly! If you read enough, it sounds like people are running from rooms, with Klipsch speakers, screaming with their ears bleeding! I know everyone has their opinion, it's just when you have no where to go to truly listen, and possibly have the option to return if you don't like, it's very hard to just order online and go for it. don't want to get stuck with speakers that are painful/unenjoyable for my family and I to use.

• Moderators

I don't blame your hesitation about dropping that much coin on something online with the potential of being stuck with it if you don't like it in your own home.

If you read enough, it sounds like people are running from rooms, with Klipsch speakers, screaming with their ears bleeding!

I can assure you if that were the case, we probably wouldn't even have a Klipsch forum. I for once have never felt that any of my Klipsch speakers were too "bright" for my taste. I enjoy a speaker that is alive, vibrant, dynamic and one that envelops emotion and passion. That's what Klipsch is known for. If you are looking for a more laid back sound, Polk Audio comes to mind. I personally was never fully satisfied with my Polk system. All I can say is now that I have tasted Klipsch, I have no desire to ever go back to a Polk system again. YMMV.

From what I've read, you either love klipsch or hate them, no in between. I realize the opinions I get heat are slightly biased, and understandably, i'm just at a loss off what to do. I really don't have an option to hear anything before buying. I can keep searching the internet and read how great they are or how painful they are. I'll still be sitting here with my puny little Yamaha satellite speakers, wondering what i could be missing. Its hard to fight the "f it" temptation and just go for it. I guess if I truly hated them I could sell, but at what loss. I know for sure that my wife will want to kill me. After all my talking and preaching about these speakers, if I don't like em after purchase, and say, "I think i'm gonna try and sell these speakers" she might never speak to me again. Haha. What to do, what to do. I never thought speakers would require this much thought

Did you buy those speakers locally? Somewhere close that might have the ones I'm looking for? With my only option being internet, I'm starting to get worried about buying Klipsch. The word "bright" comes up constantly! If you read enough, it sounds like people are running from rooms, with Klipsch speakers, screaming with their ears bleeding! I know everyone has their opinion, it's just when you have no where to go to truly listen, and possibly have the option to return if you don't like, it's very hard to just order online and go for it. don't want to get stuck with speakers that are painful/unenjoyable for my family and I to use.

I am going to buy them from Vanns. Vanns accepts returns if you weren't satisfied with them. If you want to go to an authorized dealer just type in your zip code on the dealer locater on the Klipsch home page and it will tell you who carries what. Pacific Sales had the RCF-82ii to demo but they didn't have the RF-7iis so I am going to be buying them without having heard them. Many will frown upon that but I already know I am going to love them. I have not actually heard the 82s but have heard models below and above them and those all sounded great so I would imagine they do too.

I did briefly own a RC-62ii and it sounded great. I have a problem with buying and selling gear so it wasn't around too long. Hopefully this next setup will stick around as long as my RF-83s did (about 5 years). Good luck with your decision

I really don't have an option to hear anything before buying.

lol, dude.. calm down. It's only been a few hours since you posted. Give it a week or so and see if anyone near you can offer up a listening session. I'm pretty sure your survival, ability to sleep safely, or your day job does not rely on the immediate purchase of speakers. so be patient - you'll avoid the "what if?" syndrome, have a happier experience in obtaining your audio equipment, and will reduce conflict with your wife.

Don't test drive a Malibu going in with the expectations of a Lambo.

It's best to zero in on a few key qualities that you find desirable and begin drilling speakers for those qualities. Most importantly, start reading up on enclosure and driver types. Learn about their inherent properties.There's a lot of give and take going on between designs.

Is this saying the 82's are a Malibu? Can't afford a lambo

I understand ya there, but what I meant was all speaker designs aren't necessarily comparable, even within a company.

You want to avoid logic like this, "I heard some interesting-looking JBL ASH's at a club the other night, so I'm going to buy an ES powered sub for home because those things far-king rocked!"

Different on so many levels, no lines can be drawn between the two.

Is this saying the 82's are a Malibu?

Far from it. I would equate the RF-82's/82ii's more like a C5 or C6 Corvette. They are probably the best performance/cost speaker Klipsch produces. Full sound with plenty of detail and a big soundstage. Just like the Corvette having 85% of the performance of a Lamborghini but only 30% to 35% of the cost.

Bill

I don't blame your hesitation about dropping that much coin on something online with the potential of being stuck with it if you don't like it in your own home.

If you read enough, it sounds like people are running from rooms, with Klipsch speakers, screaming with their ears bleeding!

I can assure you if that were the case, we probably wouldn't even have a Klipsch forum. I for once have never felt that any of my Klipsch speakers were too "bright" for my taste. I enjoy a speaker that is alive, vibrant, dynamic and one that envelops emotion and passion. That's what Klipsch is known for. If you are looking for a more laid back sound, Polk Audio comes to mind. I personally was never fully satisfied with my Polk system. All I can say is now that I have tasted Klipsch, I have no desire to ever go back to a Polk system again. YMMV.

Not everyone loves or hates Klipsch, but those that do love or hate them are compelled to post their thoughts. The biggest audiophile I know adores magnetic planar speakers for 2-channel listening, but he does acknowledge the superiority of Klipsch in many areas, in fact he has 2 KG 4s wired in parallel as a center channel to help put his $7000.00 towers for HT. even though his amplifier costs more than my 7 channel home theater build and every piece of equipment in it, he still sadly admitted that he would much rather watch a movie at my house than his.

Lastly, he was rediculously impressed with my Icon Ws and vintage Marantz in my 2-channel room. There are things my system can do that his cant and vice-versa. You need to find the right system for your needs. If its not Klipsch, that's okay. There's tons of great speakers out there.

Just like the Corvette having 85% of the performance of a Lamborghini but only 30% to 35% of the cost

Actually the ZR1 will beat any Lambo out there if I'm not mistaken. The ZR1 at 100-120k and having super car performance is hands down the best buy in the auto world IMO. Only a few cars can beat it in a drag race and they cost much, much more!