Help with Klipsch La Scala

widener.nathan

Hi,

I'm Nathan and I'm a little new to Klipsch. I have aquired a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers and I need some help with identifying them. The picture is one of the two that I have, and I can upload the back panel part on this forum later if needed. I don't know really anything about these speakers, besides that they are awesome. I know that they came from a local church and that they were in working order as of a few months ago. Here is where I need some help, the back panel where the 200 watts and inputs are says that it was manufactured in 1980, is this true, the panel reads: serial # 2602. Also, at the moment I do not know if these speakers work, but I plan on taking it to a technician, is there anything in particular that I need to say to that technician in order for them to check specifically. I don't think that I currently have a amp that could push these speakers.

Thank you everybody for your time and concern.

Nathan

post-54987-13819687303402_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

There's no need to take them to a technician to test them. Just hook them to any receiver, amp, etc. When I met this forum's Colterphoto1 in a truck stop parking lot to take delivery of two La Scalas, I tested them by playing a Brubeck CD in my laptop. La Scalas are very efficient. You can "push" them to police summoning volume with a few good watts.

Use of the search function will lead you to more information about La Scalas and "upgrading" La Scalas than you'll be able to digest in a month. I suggest enjoying them for a few months before you get to tinkering.

Type "serial numbers" in the search function to find numerous threads that contain information regarding the Klipsch serial number formats. The following appeared on this forum several times:

Welcome to the greatest forum in the universe and it orbits around Klipsch. Congrats on your purchase and I sure hope your La Scalla are fine. If you have an Iphone you can run these speakers on that. 1.8 watts of serious SET amplificarion is plenty for lots of folks. You can likely break your lease with five times that wattage. Have fun and enjoy. The Klipsch forum is a truly remarkable family with expertise and knowledge that will astound you. I will warn you right now that these will not be your last pair of Klipsch speakers. Best regards Moray James.

I dont think you need to take these to a tech. you can check them out yourself with a multi-meter and some reading of the forum and help from us. Probably need new caps. easy to do or you can have Bob Crites do it for you. If you hear sound from all the drivers probably good to go. I would recomend you try to get Harman Kardon HK430 reciever. What do you have now only takes about 10 watts to run LaScalas.Rick

Thank you to all that replied to my original post. I am curious what cables I need to check these? I'll be honest I don't have every much pro audio experience. I acquired these speakers by trading for music lessons, and the person that had them didn't do anything with them but did not know if they were functioning. My goal is to make sure they are in working order in the next month to know what their value is. Thank you everybody for your help.

Nathan

Thank you to all that replied to my original post. I am curious what cables I need to check these? I'll be honest I don't have every much pro audio experience. I acquired these speakers by trading for music lessons, and the person that had them didn't do anything with them but did not know if they were functioning. My goal is to make sure they are in working order in the next month to know what their value is. Thank you everybody for your help. Nathan

Just hook them up to whatever amp you have available, and see if all three drivers are working by stuffing a towel in the tweeter and squawker (mid driver) horns, first one, then the other, so you can hear the driver without hearing the sound of the other two drivers.

The "pro" part of these speakers is the 200 watt rated woofers, as opposed to the 100 watt rating of the woofers in the home model. You hook them up and play them just like any other speaker, and due to their ultra-efficient design, you don't need much power to test them.

If they have barrier strip connectors (1/4" spade), you can get connectors like that at most car audio shops. If they have typical binding posts instead, banana connectors can be found at Radio Shack or any audio shop.

Happy listening!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. Investigating and enjoying LaScalas and the rest of the line can be a lifetime project.

The only technical article by PWK can be found at

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/53292/510913.aspx#510913

You'll note that the early example shown has the bass bin turned 90 degrees.

You should not worry about size and power ratings. Power ratings are a tricky subject. For example, the tweeter will only safely absorb about 5 watts (or less) and the mid driver will only absorb 40 watts. That is true of the entire Heritage line and, indeed most home speakers on the market.

WMcD